Author Topic: Request: 1280 x 768 support  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Kaboodles

• Kill the meat. Save the metal.
Request: 1280 x 768 support
Hi.

This may not be the right place for this, but my laptop has a 5:3 screen ratio, with a max resolution of 1280 x 768.  FSOpen doesn't seem to support this fully.  I can choose 1280 x 768 on the launcher, but I end up with some rather unpleasant, though not game-breaking, problems.  Smaller ships tend to disappear near the edges of the screen, targeting brackets get more and more mis-aligned with the actual target the farther you get from the reticle, and certain elements of the background move faster across the screen than others during turns, which makes stars and suns appear much closer than they should be.

I've tried running in 1024 x 768, but the image gets stretched and the effect is rather unpleasant to the eye.  I was wondering if you guys could add full 1280 x 768 support so the above problems don't occur.   :)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: Request: 1280 x 768 support
just in case you haven't gotten it:

COMMAND: INCOMING JUMP SIGNATURE! NEW USER CONFIGURATION!

Helm! Ready all beam cannons!
Lock Beam Cannons and fire on my command!
FIRE!

NO, YOU IDIOT! USE THE BIG BEAM CANNON!
FIRE!
:welcome:

Welcome to HLP! Exits are to the right and left. In the event of a landing of any kind, you can and will be used as a flotation device. Flamethrowers are conviniently located under your seats, however, due to the recent funding cuts, a $3.5 million donation is required to obtain a flamethrower with a full load of napalm in it. If you do not wish to make a donation, your flamethrower will remain filled with water. If you don't wish to donate and still want a working weapon, you'd have to try the weapons locker. However, only HLP Admins, a :v: God, or a Hyperintelligent shade of Blue can open the lock, so you'd have to break in. If you find yourself inside a ventilation shaft and you catch a glimpse of a Shivan, you don't need to worry... much. It's just Carl, and you have two choices with how you want to deal with him:
    1. The first possible course of action is getting one of the weapons from the afore-mentioned weapons locker, and trying to ward off Carl by threatening him with the weapon. Be advised that many of the weapons in the weapons locker are covered with the blood of people who thought it a good idea to break into the weapons locker and use the procured weapon to ward off Carl. So, please, if you decide you want to choose this course of action, choose one of the already-bloody weapons, so you don't get blood all over one of the clean ones.
   2. Your second course of action when you see Carl is to throw your lunch to him and hope he isn't too hungry. This is the better option.
   As a final note, please remember that any attempt to use the ASCII characters 0046h, 0053h, and 0033h in sequential order will result in you being trampled by Freespace Fanboys. Your trampled remains will be fed to Carl so that the rest of us don't have to carry around so much food for lunch.

Standard newbie help:
Got a problem with the SCP? Check the list before you post a "help me" topic. If you do post a "help me" topic and your problem is on the list, I'll be there to say, "Why didn't you use 'The List'?"

What version of FSO are you running? What are your command line options?

GIB SPECS!   :lol:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 09:12:19 pm by Turey »
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
It's a known issue.  I could explain what's wrong but your head would explode... probably mine too :p  Basically, 2D things like the targeting brackets and stars and suns are rendered/projected a different way than 3D HTL stuff.  --but that much you already observed ;)
I think taylor was working on this (but it's been around for a long time).  Course, he's working on lots of other stuff so we have to be patient.  I did see he fixed a related problem with the deathscreen FOV code recently, so maybe he's onto something...

Anyway, just be assured that this particular problem is known, no matter what command line options you use.  I tried to look into it myself but the code involved has SO much math that I had to run away. :nervous:

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
There is a way to semi-fix your problem. You can play in 1024*768 with black boarders on the sides. Just change the way non-native res is handled in the display properties. Look for scaling options.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline PotzUK

• PyroPort
Ive got the same problem on my laptop too (1680x1050 res), I've found the best work around is to run the game in a window at a standard 4:3 resolution (1280x1024 in my case)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Related question.

Why has the selectable "non standard video mode" box been ripped off the latest launchers? Before 5.4 I could select from a plethora of resolutions to use.

Now I can only select from four resolutions: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024. The other video options have taken a huge leap forwards from 5.3 to 5.4 and later, but I don't understand why this thing option has been removed. I could previously select from many resolutions and now only from four, and I could run the game in windowed mode to take 1600x1200 resolution screenshots if I really wanted (and sometimes I did).  :confused:

By the way, is this list of selectable resolutions dynamic or static? Or in other words, is it computer-dependant so that if the Launcher notices that my computer only supports those resolutions, those are the only ones it offers? Or does the Launcher always offer just these four resolutions to select from, regardless of hardware configuration?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
Well uh... technically 800x600 and 1280x1024 are both 'non standard'... but I'm guessing 1280x1024 is your highest resolution in the Windows display control panel?

I think the launcher list is computer-dependent, because mine shows just about every resolution up to 1600x1200.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
is it computer-dependant so that if the Launcher notices that my computer only supports those resolutions, those are the only ones it offers?

Yes.
-C

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Basically the new launcher does that "non standard video mode" stuff by default so the box for it is gone.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Good to know.

So the only loss is if I would like to run the program in windowed 1600x1200 resolution to grab high-resolution screenshots. Of course I can do that by manually changing registry and running the executive directly, though.

That is, if I really really want to get that high screenshots some time.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Kaine

Ive got the same problem on my laptop too (1680x1050 res), I've found the best work around is to run the game in a window at a standard 4:3 resolution (1280x1024 in my case)

1280 x 1024 is not 4:3... its 5:4. 1280 x 1024 is a bit of an anomoly. see uh *googles* here.

use the highest 4:3 ratio for your monitors resolution. look for one that matches the height, in your case 1024 x 768. your brain will learn to block out the black stripes after a bit  :p

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
If the launcher doesn't show a resolution that you want to use, you can still put it into the registry manually. I had to do that for a long time with 2048x1536 before Launcher 5.4 came out and fixed the resolution bug with OGL. The launcher annoyingly resets the resolution to 1024x768 if it detects anything it doesn't like, but this works fine otherwise (you don't need to use the launcher that often anyway).

I was wondering when support for widescreen monitors would be fully implemented.  Like the original poster, I have a widescreen aspect monitor, in this case, a 1680x1050.  Same problems as the original, but it works fine on 1280x1024, haven't had the time to test this out fully.  Widescreen aspect would be nice, especially since I paid a bundle for this monitor.

One thing with widescreen aspect, the movies do not turn out well at all.  The top spacing is there, but the bottom is completely cut off.  It's as if it was trying to implement 1600x1200 only to have the bottom cut off.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I was wondering when support for widescreen monitors would be fully implemented.  Like the original poster, I have a widescreen aspect monitor, in this case, a 1680x1050.  Same problems as the original, but it works fine on 1280x1024, haven't had the time to test this out fully.  Widescreen aspect would be nice, especially since I paid a bundle for this monitor.
Not any time soon.  There is quite a bit of stuff needed before widescreen resolutions are properly supported.  I think that I'm probably the only one who will even attempt these changes (and there are some rather significant changes needed), but I've already got enough projects going on.  I'll deffinitely add it when I start redoing the OpenGL code, but that isn't going to be for a while yet.

One thing with widescreen aspect, the movies do not turn out well at all.  The top spacing is there, but the bottom is completely cut off.  It's as if it was trying to implement 1600x1200 only to have the bottom cut off.
I assume that you mean MVEs.  If so then the top space is actually artificial.  That is what throws off the positioning since it forces the movie to a fake 4:3 ratio, which isn't really required.  I deal with this properly in the new Theora player, and have been upgrading the MVE player to also do the right thing, but the MVE player is being a bit of a pain in the butt with this.  It should all work better in the final version of 3.6.9 though.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Well, looking forward to it when you do. My monitor is a 1440x900 res (which, admittedly, I cant even get windows to do unless I put it into standbye and then wake it up... stupid intel integrated chipset), and when Intel finally makes some OGL support for their vista drivers, it'd be nice to see what FSO looks like on here. (Before I actually buy a new graphics card)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist