Author Topic: BETA development of the FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 44806 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.0 BETA
That is odd. I've used two Realteks in the past with OpenAL Soft without any issues. I'm curious but too lazy to remove the Sound Blaster and test the Realtek on my current mobo...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Disable it in the Device Manager?

And, if the problem was 64 bit and putting in the sys32, can't you just have java query Windows to see its, umm.. operating bits?

As for certain cards not behaving, shouldn't that be brought to OpenAL Soft's attention?

Oh, and the UAC... won't the installer ask for it by itself, once the Installer calls it?  It should, yes?  If not, I believe there's a way to ask for it using the elevate command or somesuch, rather than running the whole Installer as admin.  Some solutions here, if you want.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Fortunately, I also found a way to fairly painlessly elevate privileges while still using the standard UAC prompt.  So everything should be straightened out after the next update.

So yes.  All I have to do is start a process with "cmd /c openalinst.exe".

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
so i gave up and ran the installer. everything works. running the installer is definitely the way to go.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
K.  I'll do that then.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Is anyone else having difficulty getting the media vps using the installer?  I used the installer to do a full install a few weeks ago, but now I need to reinstall the media vps to try to fix an issue I am having with blue planet and it appears to just hang.  I've attached some logs, in case that helps.

thanks!!

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Remember that you can always grab the 3.6.12s directly from the release thread. BP will also probably work okay with the 2014 MVPs if you want to alter the mod.ini. No promises though.

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
Thanks!  I should have added that I did already get them directly from the release thread.  :)  I was just seeing if there was an issue with the installer on these.  I think BP is working now - yay!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Right now, the Installer pulls the 3.6.12 mediaVPs directly from SVN.  The repository needs to be rewritten so that the MVPs are downloaded from somewhere like FSMods.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
RE: OpenAL

Is this the problem?  (is there an nvopenal in the systems not taking the OpenAL Soft version?)

Right...

Could you, uh, do a search for nvopenal.dll on your computer? I remember very, very vaguely hearing that in some cases, nvidia's openal implementation is overriding the proper OpenAL installation in which case FSO will try to use wrong kind of OpenAL - or something. I don't exactly remember what it was about, and I don't know if this is actually what is wrong with your game... just searching for a direction for now. This was years and years and years ago and I don't know if your computer's generation's nForce drivers included nvidia openAL files... :nervous:

If you do find something like that, refrain from any drastic action, I'm about to go to bed and won't be available again until I regain consciousness.
Is it good, or bad if I found it?
I found it.  :lol:
nvopenal.dll
It's in C:\WINDOWS\system32

And starting the game with wxlauncher.exe instead of the Dia shortcut didn't help.

(I don't know if this has anything to do with the actual problem since all the error popups specifically mention openal32.dll rather than anything else...)

It... could also may be wxLauncher specific problem, but I know nearly nothing of that. Might be worth checking if regular FS2 Open can be initialized with Launcher.exe instead?

To test, search for nvopenal.dll, then remove and try the other.  This may have nothing to do with the issue, just a hunch.  :nervous:  I'm thinking if one version of nvopenal bugs out creative's version, maybe later iterations only bug out OpenAL Soft.

FSU Mediavp log
was not installing

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Good reporting, thank you!  This is caused by a small bug in the program, which I will fix in the next version.

EDIT: Since Scotty also reported what sounds like the same bug, I've uploaded a new jar with that bugfix, plus an update to the readme stored in the jar file.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:08:03 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Tamlin

There is a FSO god ! Goober you da'Goob.. I haven't been around for oh crap years at this point joined in 2006 and.I've been gaming around.I came across Strike suit zero played it and some dumb sh*t compared it to " it's like freespace" which it isn't... And LONGED for the days I blew the crap out of Shivans and took out capitals ships with my Athena2. I come back to hard light after a long time and find this and 3.7 released and all the lovely mods.  thanks.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Cheers. :)  If all goes well, there should be another update in the upcoming week.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Slightly delayed, but here's a new build...

DOWNLOAD (or use your existing Installer to upgrade to the new one)

• Added capability to run system commands, which will be needed for OpenAL and wxLauncher
  • Added OpenAL installation support -- the Installer will detect whether OpenAL is on your machine, and if not, will offer to install it for you.
  • Localization support!  The Installer can now potentially support any language in the world, subject to translator availability.  Once the full version is ready, I'll solicit translations.
  • Use different default directories depending on the host operating system
  • Preliminary support for installing GOG; not fully complete yet
The next version will provide support for installing the game directly from the GOG setup package, and will serve as the Release Candidate for the official release.  In the meantime, please test this version and let me know if you encounter any problems with the OpenAL feature.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Awesome!
I can volunteer to translate to latin-spanish when you may need it.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Luis Dias

Talk to me if you want translations to portuguese :)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
gave it a test run and here are my results/feedback

Code: [Select]
estimate sub minute initial load

Autoed to C:\Games\FreeSpace2 - My installation is E:\Games\Freespace 2 - is there a way to detect exsisting installs of FS2?

Warning about sparky_hi_fs1.vp and Tango.vp in my root Directory

Selected Custom install

would like to see some kind of visual distinction between FSO exe files, media vps and mods
again where mods have multiple options please make these visually distinct

chose 3.7.0 SEE2
chose all of FS Port, ST:R and windmills

installer handled resizing ok

like the collapsable installation groups

Windmills: The file 'Windmills.rar' could not be downloaded

general download speed seems ok

---

general suggestions

Download bandwidth limiter
ability to Cancel a install item/group if user desires
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Autoed to C:\Games\FreeSpace2 - My installation is E:\Games\Freespace 2 - is there a way to detect exsisting installs of FS2?
Not really.

again where mods have multiple options please make these visually distinct
What do you mean with this?

Download bandwidth limiter
Eh, why?  All the testers so far have wanted to make downloads faster.

ability to Cancel a install item/group if user desires
I thought of that, but when I gave it a try, the UI looked too cluttered.

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
THANKS GOOBER! 

I used this to update itself, and I selected a few mods that I didn't already have installed for some reason.  The only one I had trouble with was Between the Ashes - it said there was an invalid hash.