Author Topic: RELEASE: Procyon Insurgency  (Read 24883 times)

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Re: RELEASE: Procyon Insurgency
On ModDb when you update it changes the file number current version is PI105.2
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline CT27

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the bonus objective in the mission where you're supposed to disarm the PCSD Saturn?  I got 20 turrets but can't seem to get 25.

What's the suggested ship/loadout?

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Look at the walkthrough.
http://pi.hard-light.net/walk.htm
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline CT27

I was able to get 25 turrets, but can't quite seem to get two support ships to get the other secondary objective.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, many people found those mission 15 objectives tricky in the main release thread. The Vulcan and Trebuchets work well against those ships. I think the Charybdis and the nearby Zephyrus are the easiest to hit. It should only take about a minute to get both of them.

Offline CT27

I've found it to actually be relatively (relatively being the key word) easy to get the 25 turrets bonus if you ignore the support ships secondary objective.

I order my wingmen to cover me (except for a few instances of having to move this generally works).  I take a Perseus fighter and load both secondary banks with Stiletto IIs (of the craft you can pick in this mission that can carry Stiletto IIs, the Perseus can carry the most) and then load primaries with Disruptors.  I rearm about every 10 seconds, but I'm able to get turrets pretty quickly this way.  Toward the end of the mission I'm able to move in a little bit and use Disruptors.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Do You guys plan to add HTL Saturn somehow? HTL Hades is insanely awesome :). A simple recolor of Hades textures would be enough. A real effort is arranging new turret setup.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I might give it a try at some point. The turrets are definitely an issue, although someone here told me a while ago that they can be copied and pasted in PCS2. The HTL Hades has a single UV map instead of a tilemap like the original Hades and Saturn, and some of the texture patterns are part of the geometry on the HTL model, so the textures would need to be redesigned.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
The other issue is that many of the turret mounts are now geometry and some of the turret locations on the Saturn are now greebles/something else you can't put a turret on.  You could probably up the turret count without too much trouble but you wouldn't be able to replicate the original turret layout exactly.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Random question

Did you at any point have plans for a sequel to explain the
Spoiler:
sudden, warlike reappearance of the Ancients? :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Glad to see Procyon Insurgency got an update since it's one of my favorite campaigns. I'm having a bit of a problem, though. In the first mission, as soon as the Tenenit attempts to fire any beams, the game crashes. I have no clue if it's actually the mod at fault here as this is a totally fresh installation through the FSO Installer and I haven't tried anything else.

Edit: Alright, after a few more attempts it doesn't seem to be the beams as I saw them fire a few times before the crash came.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 07:03:46 pm by Colossus »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

When I ran it with the 3.7.2 RC4 debug build it actually didn't crash. I wondered if it might be an issue with a lack of memory or something so I closed all my other programs including Firefox where I usually have tons of tabs open and now it seems to run just fine with the normal 3.7.2 exe too. I'll leave my fs2_open.log here from the debug run—where it didn't crash—on the off chance it contains something interesting.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Sorry for the bump, though this seems like the best place to post this after searching around. I'm attempting to play PI for the first time using the latest FSO build (3.7.4 Final SSE2), but it doesn't get along too well. I downloaded PI via the main installer .jar people can use nowadays for FSO setup (super slick installer btw, kudos whoever made that!).

In the first mission, I noticed some oddities, like the new weapon not having fire sounds and Cyclops torpedoes using a small SG-Belial model (lol), and I also noticed the SC-Lilith in the techroom used the retail model with the HTL skin, which looked rather weird but not completely absurd. The Lilith problem disappeared after a reboot, though.

I also ran the debugger, and got an instant crash before even getting to the menu. Log attached. Here's the important bit, I think:

Code: [Select]
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'mv_tech-shp.tbm' ...
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'mv_shockwave-shp.tbm' ...
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'mv_root-shp.tbm' ...
WARNING: "Unable to find WEAPON_LIST_TYPE string "MX-52" in stuff_int_list  Many possible sources for this error.  Get a programmer!" at parselo.cpp:2841
Int3(): From c:\code\fs2_open_3_7_4\code\globalincs\windebug.cpp at line 1389

Seems like I should play this with an earlier build. Is there a recommended version for best compatibility with the fancy models? Seeing nothing but good things about this campaign, so definitely want to get through it bug-free!

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

-mod MediaVPs_2014,PIHuh? PI should be before Mediavps.
Could you post PI's mod.ini?

-mod MediaVPs_2014,PIHuh? PI should be before Mediavps.
Could you post PI's mod.ini?

Sure. I'd actually tried PI before MediaVPs, but had the Lilith bug, so thought I maybe should reverse it. Seems more likely it was coincidence the bug disappeared.

Here's the mod.ini:

[launcher]
infotext     = The Procyon Insurgency
website      = http://pi.hard-light.net;

[multimod]
primarylist=pifinal;
secondarylist=mediavps;

Seems PI from installer is outdated. Try newest version from first post in this topic.

That did the trick! Thanks!

Offline CT27

Good catches. You can tell I didn't do a full campaign playthrough, or I would have certainly noticed the first issue. :p

Let me know if you see anything else. At this point, I'll just slip them into the update without changing the version number.

I've encountered a gamebreaking error on mission 14B when it comes to the newest version of PI that I manually downloaded from the fsnebula page (up until this mission things worked fine):  when that mission starts the Agni is already in the middle of the Knossos when it should start docked at the asteroid base.  This mission would probably be doable (even in this broken state) if it wasn't for that third AWACS that comes in when the Agni starts to actually move.  The problem is you have to be right next to the Agni when it jumps but you can't get any closer than 2500m to enemy AWACS or you fail.

Thankfully I had a previous version of PI saved (I sometimes save the previous version of a campaign until I know the newest version works) and I played that on MVP 4.0 and a 10-31-17 nightly and the mission played fine.

Has anyone else had this problem with the newest version of PI on this mission?  If you didn't, what MVP and build version did you use?

Can this be fixed?

Offline CT27

I have a slight update on the situation:

I did some testing with various builds, and even on the previous version of PI I ran into the mission 14B problem I mentioned earlier (Agni starting the mission in the Knossos) when I used a January 9, 2019 nightly I had.  However, the mission played correctly (Agni started docked with asteroid base) when I used a October 28, 2018 nightly. 

So somewhere between those two something went wrong.  The problem may or may not be the version of PI one is using but rather something to do with later builds (or it could be both).

Any ideas?