Author Topic: Project Wingman, an Ace combat-y flight sim has a playable 1-mission alpha demo.  (Read 6650 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Project Wingman, an Ace combat-y flight sim has a playable 1-mission alpha demo.
Holy crap,  that's ace combat through and through.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Re: Project Wingman, an Ace combat-y flight sim has a playable 1-mission alpha demo.
Just wanted to let you guys know that Project Wingman is also out on GOG as well. The developer never mentioned it before. I was just about to pick it up on steam but this is a great surprise!  :yes:

Too late for me: I could probably refund but to refund for mere store preference feels icky somehow.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline SL1

Just wanted to let you guys know that Project Wingman is also out on GOG as well. The developer never mentioned it before. I was just about to pick it up on steam but this is a great surprise!  :yes:

I always choose GOG over Steam when I can, so this is very good to know.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
It's also available from Humble Bundle for the same price.  I have it on all three wishlists, waiting for a sale  :)
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Refunded on steam and picked up on GOG.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline CKid

I originally was going to wait for a sale before buying this, but then I heard before the release date that this game included the CF-105 Avro Arrow! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! As an Canadian, with the amount of pride this piece of info stirred up in me, I had to make this a day one purchase. What a beautiful aircraft. (To those who may not be familiar, it's the jet in the beginning of the video)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 01:27:16 pm by CKid »
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Can confirm, if you like Freespace 2/Ace Combat style arcade sims, this is a game you don't want to miss. 5 missions in and it's great.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Finished a playthrough on normal. TL;DR: Game is good, if you like Ace Combat you will like this.

PW gets a lot of things right. The flight model is tight and good, plane selection and weapon variety are good (and, unlike some Ace Combats, attackers do have their place here), and PW's implementation of post-stall maneuvers turns it from a somewhat useless gimmick in AC7 to something actually useful. The story is straightforward and doesn't carry the same baggage of repeated restarts and rewrites that AC7's did, and PW even manages to add in an optional character for those occasions when you pilot a 2-seater plane. This would be a good game if a "proper" studio released it; that it's the work of just a few people makes it all the more remarkable.

That being said, I do have some criticisms. There is a noticeable lack of polish in some features: The UI flow going from a briefing to launching the mission is a bit clunky, the in-game codex is very hard to read, some of the visual effects are somewhat overwhelming. The writing needs some editing for flow and pacing; some sentences in here do not actually scan, and there are notable discrepancies between the spoken text and the subtitles. Missions tend to go long, there are a lot of targets to deal with and no in-mission checkpoints.

But these are small quibbles in the grand scheme of things: This is still a very good Ace Combat-alike, and I highly recommend it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline SL1

I originally was going to wait for a sale before buying this, but then I heard before the release date that this game included the CF-105 Avro Arrow! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! As an Canadian, with the amount of pride this piece of info stirred up in me, I had to make this a day one purchase. What a beautiful aircraft. (To those who may not be familiar, it's the jet in the beginning of the video)

I'm sure it's no coincidence that the F-15's paint scheme is very Cipher-esque.

It's also got some of the best music I've heard in games for years. Like, Showdown and Kings are pretty much on a permanent place in my music mixes.