Author Topic: FreeSpace Port 3.7 + FSPort Media VPs Release!  (Read 29167 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
FreeSpace Port 3.7 + FSPort Media VPs Release!
Freespace Port 3.7 + FSPort Media VPs Release

Version 3.7 has been released!  This is less of a major upgrade than 3.6, so I kept the same thread, but it still brings a few significant changes.  Here is the changelog from the readme:

Code: [Select]
Updates in 3.7.0:
--Fix MediaVP compatibility by syncing FSPort MediaVP versions
--Update the French translation, thanks to Achille
--Attempt to fix UTF-8 compatibility
--Update the traitor.tbl debriefing text for the Vasudan persona
--Update game_settings.tbl version-specific commenting
--Use distance-ship-subsystem for the "enter the docking bay" directive in Playing Judas
--Don't automatically target turrets when targeting a ship (use FSO flag to restore FS1 behavior)

Original version 3.6 post below:

We are pleased to present version 3.6 of the FreeSpace Port, and perhaps more importantly, the long-awaited version 4.3 of the FreeSpace Port MediaVPs!

Features include:

• Full compatibility with the MediaVPs 4.3.x series, taking advantage of the reorganization that brings all models and textures under one roof
  • Full support for MjnMixael's APNG command briefing animations, remastered cutscenes, and enhanced main halls
  • The FSP-MVP music package now includes high-quality music tracks from the original source files (except for a few tracks not included in the 2006 music dump)
  • The remastered music is still available, but it is now under the remix package
  • NuSSLBeam with effects created by Nyctaeus
  • Dozens of reskins for the GTFr Chronos and TAC 1, sourced from an old Galemp model dump, including Bosch Beer, Minute Maid Orange Juice, GTI, radioactive warning, Australia, and more
  • Miscellaneous bugfixes

As always FSPort remains retail compatible but optimized for Freespace Open.  If you use FSO, we recommend a recent build such as 19.0 or later.

To install, use the FreeSpace Open Installer or

Updates for the various campaigns on Knossos that use FSPort and the FSPort MVPs will be rolled out over the next few days.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 02:53:38 am by Goober5000 »

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: FreeSpace Port 3.6 + FSPort Media VPs Release!
Downloading the MVPs right now, and looking forward to the soon to be released upgrades to campaigns using the FSPort has their root mod. It's definitely a good time for another ST:R playthrough, too.  :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
hooray!  :D
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Will a simple copy of the ini file from the original port folder work (with the obvious changes for the prime mediavp folder)?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Will a simple copy of the ini file from the original port folder work (with the obvious changes for the prime mediavp folder)?

Probably... but it might be better to copy the .vp files and then let the Installer verify them for you.  In the process it'll copy a new mod.ini.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm an old-schooler.  I don't use the installer or Knossos.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ha!  Well then here are the files that changed:
https://porphyrion.feralhosting.com/datacorder/fsport_files/releases/fsport3_6.7z
https://porphyrion.feralhosting.com/datacorder/fsport_files/releases/fsport-missions.7z
https://porphyrion.feralhosting.com/datacorder/fsport_files/releases/sparky_hi_fs1.7z

The first of those three includes a new mod.ini.

The FSPort MVPs are a little more involved:
https://fsnebula.org/mod/fsport-mediavps

Note that if you want to use Mjn.Mixael's main halls, you will also have to download his main hall VPs.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Thanks, but shouldn't the ini file include a dependency for the 4.3.3 MediaVP folder (whatever it maybe), or do the new Port VP files have all of the necessary assets included?  Can I use that ini file with the same VP files I downloaded from the Knossos link, or will I HAVE to use the ones you linked to?

In regards to STR, can I just modify the ini file to support the 3.6 folder (and the 4.3.3 media VPs if the above answer is yes), or is all of STR now included in the 3.6 release?

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Downloaded the new vps but have noticed when I play the game, the aten is the retail version and not the HTL one. Other than that love the new apollo!
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks, but shouldn't the ini file include a dependency for the 4.3.3 MediaVP folder (whatever it maybe), or do the new Port VP files have all of the necessary assets included?  Can I use that ini file with the same VP files I downloaded from the Knossos link, or will I HAVE to use the ones you linked to?

The situation is the same as before: the Port contains the retail-compatible files and the FSPort MVP contains the upgrades.  The main difference is how the assets are organized between the standard MVPs and the Port MVPs.

The VPs are the same whether you download them from my links or the Knossos links.

Here is the FSPort MVPs mod.ini file:
[launcher]
modname      = FSPort MediaVPs v4.3.x;
image255x112 = fsport-mediavps.bmp;
image182x80  = fsport-mediavps_small.bmp;
infotext     = Experience the FreeSpace Port with the community-created Media VPs.;
website      = http://fsport.hard-light.net/;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=170.0;

[multimod]
secondarylist = fsport,mediavps_43x;

In regards to STR, can I just modify the ini file to support the 3.6 folder (and the 4.3.3 media VPs if the above answer is yes), or is all of STR now included in the 3.6 release?

You can just modify the mod.ini file.  ST:R is almost exactly the same; there are just a few minor bugfixes.  Here is the ST:R mod.ini:
[launcher]
modname      = Silent Threat: Reborn v1.4 - MediaVPs 4.3.x;
image255x112 = fsport-str.bmp;
image182x80  = fsport-str_small.bmp;
infotext     = As the Great War rages on, you've been commissioned by Galactic Terran Intelligence for special intelligence operations.  Your objectives are to contain the Shivan onslaught and preserve the fragile Terran-Vasudan alliance.  But a series of suspicious events cloud the GTI's spotless record.  Is the GTI setting you up or are the Shivans spreading their evil rage?;
website      = http://fsport.hard-light.net/website/str/;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=140.0;

[multimod]
primarylist = fsport-mediavps_43x;
secondarylist = fsport,mediavps_43x;

Downloaded the new vps but have noticed when I play the game, the aten is the retail version and not the HTL one. Other than that love the new apollo!

The Aten will be fixed in the next release.  The Apollo is courtesy of the FSU team, but thanks. :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Version 4.3.2 of the FSPort MediaVPs uploaded with all known issues fixed.  This includes several things MjnMixael pointed out on Discord.

1) Beam piercing effects for the various SSL beams
2) Main hall proper music entries
3) Subspace model and textures
4) Shockwave effect
5) Some sound entry conflicts
6) Axem's "Lost HUD, Rebuilt" - FS1 version

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Bumping this to say that an update is in progress.  This will fix the weapon parsing issue that appears on post-21.0 builds, add MVP 4.4 compatibility, upgrade main hall support using modular tables, and fix a few other minor issues.

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Great news, thanks a lot. I assume the upcoming update is also meant to solve several issues caused by partial overlaps between FSPort MVPs and regular MVPs, right? IIRC, many tables were in direct conflict.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Bumping this to say that an update is in progress.  This will fix the weapon parsing issue that appears on post-21.0 builds, add MVP 4.4 compatibility, upgrade main hall support using modular tables, and fix a few other minor issues.

Awesome, can't wait.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Great news, thanks a lot. I assume the upcoming update is also meant to solve several issues caused by partial overlaps between FSPort MVPs and regular MVPs, right? IIRC, many tables were in direct conflict.

The August update, the one in the first post of this thread, was intended to straighten out the MVP organization.  Are there additional issues that need fixing?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
FSPort version 3.6.8 is out on Knossos and the FSO Installer.  It fixes the subspace node model, the Vasudan Probe low-poly model, and the parsing error in weapons.tbl.

The FSPort MVPs update will be another few days.  The script configuration update is done, but the main hall update is still in progress.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The FSPort MVPs have been updated on the FSO Installer and Knossos.  Awakenings, Cardinal Spear, Destiny of Peace, and Shivans! have been updated to use the latest MVPs.

Offline CT27

In the Installer version of FSPort MediaVPs 4.4, there wasn't an option to download "HD Mainhalls by Mjn."

However, that particular option was there in previous FSPort MediaVPs versions in the Installer (namely 4.3).

Is it possible they could get put in the Installer for FSPort MediaVPs 4.4 or should I just copy those files from my FSPort MediaVPs 4.3 folder ("galatea_a.vp", "bastion_a.vp", etc.) and put them in my FSPort MediaVPs 4.4 folder?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The older version of FSPort required some special table handling because FSO didn't have full modular support for main hall tables.  This was added in FSO 21.0, so the newest version of FSPort which uses 21.0 no longer needs that special package.  And in fact, adding those VPs will cause problems.

Regardless of whether you're running the old version or the new version, you *do* need the separate downloads of the main halls themselves.  The old FSPort mainhall package didn't provide the entire set of main halls, just the main hall table handling package.

Offline CT27

Thank you for trying to explain this to me.  All I know is I was able to get the HD mainhalls when playing FSPort MediaVPs 4.3 campaigns.

For someone like me who doesn't use Knossos right now and still works with the Installer, how would I get to use the HD mainhalls with FSPort MediaVPs 4.4 campaigns?  I.e., which files do I need to download and where do I put them?