Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 270121 times)

Teamwork is integral to this game. If you're getting constantly swarmed by Lights, keep near some other 'Mechs who can bail you out if you get swamped.

There is no 'Mech that can handle absolutely everything that gets thrown at it. Each has its role, and outside of that role it's going to get stomped. Even if it's an Assault.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Last time I played, the Stalker was probably the best general use mech.  You could load up on streaks and large lasers (or PPCs) to take out both large and small threats.

The only real issue with it is the front/side-armor, which made it incredibly weak to focused attacks.

Offline crizza

Most of the time I stick around my lance, which flees the moment I start to circle the enemy.
But I had a nice match with my Hunchback capping the enemy base and the moment another mech tried to stop me, I shot his legs and won the day...happen not that often though^^
Right now I swapped to medium laser and upgraded to the endo steel structure...
So it has a heat efficiency of 1.32 :)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
An HBK typically wants to hang with the team, especially the Assaults.  Here is how I my HBK-4SP
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline crizza

Pretty much the same loadout as I use...
But I use SRM 6 and have the standard armor...to upgrade, I don't have enough slots...dunno what that is all about.

Edit: But I carry 4 tons extra ammo for the launchers...

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
My favorite mech to play has got to be the Victor at the moment.  It's a pocket Highlander with greater maneuverability.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

I enjoy blowing **** up in a Stalker or a Jagermech quite a bit, but I still have the most fun in a Spider.

150 kph top speed, ECM-equipped, jump jets for extra maneuverability = NO ONE CAN TOUCH ME MWAHAHAHAHA!

I usually simply take a scouting or spotting role (have a TAG laser) in the early game and then switch to harrassment/distraction tactics once the battle is joined. I'm not sure why this is so fun, but it is.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Because, you know, randomly changing the stats on stuff is game development.

I see you've never been involved with competitive balance and a fanbase that's willing to do math before. The truth is, in this case, that's probably for the best. We have too much of a math background from the tabletop and can create optimal builds really fast.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I was mainly criticizing the fact that that was pretty much all they were doing to the mechanics.

And this isn't really a case of balancing the game.  If that's what they were doing, there would have been frequent, small changes to a variety of weapons.  They were clearly picking a 'build-of-the-month' and supercharging it, rendering the time spent on obtaining something else practically wasted.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
The Thud...

Oh jeebus I'm in luv.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
So I fixed my install today, decided what the hell, I'll see how they've done.  Got Crimson Strait on my first three games, and had more than enough opportunity to shoot Phoenix Mechs.  From what I can see, they don't excel in any particular way.  That AC20 knock is damn terrifying.  You know when you've been hit by a 20.  Also Crimson Strait is fun. 
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Here is my Thud, the first real heavy I have owned.  It's pretty much a standard TDR-5S but with a 275, endo and all the double heat sinks I could stuff in it.  Sprinkle some LRMs on the approach but the heat dissipation is good enough that I can blaze away with impunity with the lasers and the MGs are surprisingly good at mopping up internals.

Offline crizza

What kind of Mech is a Thud? I looked for it in the Mechlab...but I didn't find a TDR o.O
A Thunderbolt perhaps?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 09:17:41 am by crizza »

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Yep the Thunderbolt. 

Offline crizza

Which Mech would you suggest for long range fire support and sniping and which armarment?

I'd suggest an LRM Catapult with Large Lasers in the torso slots.  Unsure on variant.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
CPLT or STK are your best options at the moment.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline crizza

Ok, pretty much of what I thought about.
Considering LRMs are they realy worth it? They're all about spread damage, but a good supportive weapon I guess.
Sniping would be (ER-)Large Laser, (ER-)PPC and  Gauss Rifle.
So I guess a Mech with Energy/ballistic and Missile slots would be good, so the CPLT-C1 and the STK variants would indeed be my choice...now, back to grinding the credits...

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
(old-ish advice, I could be wrong)

LRMs: If you have someone good with a targeting laser, these are incredible at dealing significant damage to a specific section.  If not, they're great for crowd control and picking off targets that are engaged or fleeing.  Keep in mind that they have a minimum range of 180(?) meters.

ER-LL: Don't.

PPC: A stalker can fit four PPCs on it and still be effective, or six and be a heat machine.  If you alpha strike just right, you can two-shot an enemy mech.

GR: Vs. the PPC, it weighs more and generates less heat, and doesn't leave a trail that's as visible as the PPC's.

GR: Vs. the PPC, it weighs more and generates less heat, and doesn't leave a trail that's as visible as the PPC's.

It also has a fire delay of about 1 second now. You have to charge it first. It's not so bad once you get used to the timing, but it is another thing to keep in mind.

Gauss Rifles in general are just... odd. The ammo doesn't explode when shot, but the rifle itself does. It also has monster weight. But on the other hand it does heavy damage and produces next to no heat, which is a godsend on certain maps.