Author Topic: New Screenshots (Image Heavy)  (Read 8074 times)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
New Screenshots (Image Heavy)
You guys made the news. :D

www.3dap.com/hlp
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline USS Alexander

• I 0wn TAP
    • http://www.ngproductions.nl
Siege Cannons just so people can oogle the awesomeness of a Siege Cannon-equipped fighter. [/B][/quote]

Yeah you guys just wait until i finish the big boom coming when it hits something:p
icq 127261564
www.ngproductions.nl
Tapping I3****

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Originally posted by ARC_Shrike
aint the HC bigger ? :)

anyhow dont you know there is a death sentance for mounting Seige cannon's on Fighters ?

Its going to have to be smaller, its got some nasty collision detection problems..
And how do you think I killed that monster?

its like "only" Santana's big right ?
Part time IX'er

Offline Thorn

eh? wanna explain what you just said?

Offline Pera

• Tapper
its like "only" Santana's big right ?

If I understood correctly what you said, then no. Sathanas is almost 6 clicks, the tai heavy cruiser will probably be somewhere between 2-3 clicks.  You see if we make them too big, the collision problems pop in, and even if a 4 click cruiser might look good from a long way off, the textures are quite ****ty from short range.
One is never alone with a rubberduck - Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy

The Apocalypse Project

yeah i think that's what he was getting at......lol....shrike has this problem of typing too fast and not proofreading :wink:
[size=-5]Be a baddass or be a pussy but choose only one. -Manwich [/size]

Offline Thorn

Santana

I just noticed the spelling...
Oye Como Va!

yeh. Styffy.. im attempting to push these posts in between a quite busy work shedule.. so i dont double back to fix spelling errors and such.

oh well.. i had hoped for something along the lines of 5 klicks but i see your point pera (literally from the screenys) one could always make the fighters scaled down to get the right porpotions but hey i dont really matter... as long as its one kickass capship =]
Part time IX'er

lol...jeeze even I in my current extremely busy schedual of sitting on my ass can correct spelling....:p

if you scalled the fighters down wouldn't that screw up the way you perceived every other ship in the game?

Offline Pera

• Tapper
Originally posted by StyffyDawgIX
lol...jeeze even I in my current extremely busy schedual of sitting on my ass can correct spelling....:p

if you scalled the fighters down wouldn't that screw up the way you perceived every other ship in the game?

Well, scaling down fighters wouldn't excactly make the capships look any bigger, at least when compared to your own fighter. It's really hard to explain, but let's just say that when flying a 1 meter long fighter, capships don't feel huge, but you feel tiny :)

The Apocalypse Project

ah...

styff you got about 10 years more experince with english and you use it other places than the keyboard. and of course... ive been busy setting up NT/Novell/UNIX servers lately in addition to the other stuff with normal hardware/software failfinding/changeing
Part time IX'er

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Pera

Well, scaling down fighters wouldn't excactly make the capships look any bigger, at least when compared to your own fighter. It's really hard to explain, but let's just say that when flying a 1 meter long fighter, capships don't feel huge, but you feel tiny :)

I think, but aren't sure, that is has to do with the detail involved.
--All this stuff is pretty much explained by the bottom paragraph--
When you compare an 18-wheeler with a pickup truck, they have the same amount of detail. If you compare the same 18-wheeler to a cardboard box, they have the same amount of detail but there's more overall detail.
For example, if you have a side of a box 5 feet by 5 feet, then we'll assume that means there are 25 units of detail.
Now, if you have a building's wall that's 10 ft by 30 ft, that's 300 units of detail. So, if you shrink the box, you're decreasing the box size but you still have the same 300 units of detail for the wall and the same 25 units of detail for the box; the area it's spread out over is greater.
--Just a little bit down--

In Freespace, if you have a flat surface from a capital ship and the textures are 256x256, that's 65536 units of detail (assuming the units are 1- UOD per pixel). However, the size of it may be 200 square feet.
Now, take a fighter. It has the same 65536 units of detail, but it's spread across 5 square feet. the density of detail is greater, hence, the capital ship doesn't really look bigger, and would look fine if you scaled it down to fighter size.
-C

styff you got about 10 years more experince with english and you use it other places than the keyboard. and of course... ive been busy setting up NT/Novell/UNIX servers lately in addition to the other stuff with normal hardware/software failfinding/changeing

lol what does setting up network servers have to do with your typo problem? lol:jaw:

what scale system are you guys using, out of curiosity....
why not use the original scale of HW in the FS2 mod?
:doubt: :confused:

excellent screenshots, btw!

Offline Pera

• Tapper
Originally posted by [DP]Ghent96
what scale system are you guys using, out of curiosity....
why not use the original scale of HW in the FS2 mod?
:doubt: :confused:

excellent screenshots, btw!

Because then the fighters will be half the size of a frigate, the mothership will be 25 kilometers :rolleyes: etc. etc...

HW scale is for homeworld, FS2 scale works for freespace, here's a quickly made reference scale we're using(are we?) in making ships:

Fighters/bombers = 20-40 meters
Corvetter = 40-60 meters
Frigates = 500-700 meters
Destroyers = 1000-1500 meters
Carriers = 1500-2000 meters
Heavy Cruisers = 2000+ meters

Now everyone yells, "WTF! those are too damn small". Let me tell you, HW models have many strange details that none of the original FS2 ship had, such as the fly-through fighterbay in taiidan carrier. When we convert ships, it seems that just about every single one of these thing causes nice bugs, such as stretching and disappearing textures, missing faces, object clipping and so on. And the larger the ships, the worse the problems usually get.

And remember, if we calculate by game distances, HW ships ARE very small, the Mothership for example is just a bit over one kilometer!

The Apocalypse Project

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Thorn

I just noticed the spelling...
Oye Como Va!

Hah! I know that song! :D
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Langy

HW's Scale - Very Close To Exact Numbers (Note - Using Mothership as being 22 Kilometers, due to the Scaffold, in the manual, being 21 kilometers and the Mothership being slightly larger than the Scaffold):

Mothership: 22 Kilometers (7014.9 Units)
Heavy Cruiser: 4,032 Meters (1285.89 Units)
Destroyer: 3,173 Meters (1011.74 Units)
Frigate:  1,429 Meters (455.811 Units)
Corvette: 321 Meters (102.553 Units)
Fighter: 222 Meters (71.0611 Units)

Going by the numbers in Homeworld, a fighter is over 200 meters long. That isn't good. Now, if we were saying that a Mothership is 1 kilometer long, then a fighter would be 10 meters long. That is also wrong. I think you should just say they have the scale slightly wrong in Homeworld, and go with what TAP is doing now.

Offline Thorn

Yeah, the Ulysses fighter in FS is 17 meters long, thats how big I made the Acolyte...