Author Topic: Crysis 3 - CELL is a not-for-Prophet enterprise  (Read 5537 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Crysis 3 - CELL is a not-for-Prophet enterprise
I am playing it right now. My impressions are very positive! Soon I will return with a whole ****load of words indicating my thoughts.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Re: Crysis 3 - CELL is a not-for-Prophet enterprise
No! I need your maximal rantings about the story! They are like cyber-cocaine! Please Lord Battu! Use Maximal Critic mode, please! :(

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Is it more like Crysis 1 or Crysis 2 (or maybe something entirely new)?

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
the gameplay videos i saw a while back suggested it's very 2-like.  i do hope the mouse precision isn't suck-tastic like 2 at least.

and give me all my damn suit modes back!
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline An4ximandros

Sadly, Cry of Duty 3 seems to be the real name of the game. I miss Power Struggle. Why, oh why did they take that out. :(

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's a lot more like Crysis 2 than Crysis 1, though a couple of the levels are quite large and open. It also puts a lot of time and effort into explaining all the differences between C1 and C2.

Finished it tonight - it's the shortest of the three. Not quite sure what I think yet. There's a lot of interesting material but I'm not sure it quite converges to good effect.

Offline An4ximandros

The one thing that really put me off in C2 was the lack of connection to C1. Where did all the Ceph tech go? The flying totems? The original exosuits? They all just vanished, no explanation given. All done to accommodate 'human' Ceph.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's explained here - whether you buy it or not is up to you, but they at least put in enough effort to come up with a fairly comprehensive explanation.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Crysis 2 ruined the Crysis universe/atmosphere for me.

Story-wise it was an abomination. I find it hard to belive C3 can fix it, because I hate pretty much EVERYTHING tehy added - from the human Ceph, the body-horror crap and especially the new "living" nano-suit (they should have call them bio-suits).
They can try to explain it, but the damage is already done. It's kinda like ME3 ending for me.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:40:29 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

Story-wise it was an abomination. I find it hard to belive C3 can fix it, because I hate pretty much EVERYTHING tehy added - from the human Ceph, the body-horror crap and especially the new "living" nano-suit (they should have call them bio-suits).
They can try to explain it, but the damage is already done. It's kinda like ME3 ending for me.
To be fair, you've never quite been one for liking anything that's even remotely high-quality. (The C2 nanosuit stuff was easily some of the better written Crysis story bits)
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

You will hate Crysis 3

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If the gameplay is like C2, I think I'll pass (or buy it on when it's on Steam and with a biiiiiiiiig discount). The things I liked the most about C1 were it's openness and photorealistic graphics. It was like a Holywood action movie simulator, and with a nice justification for superhuman feats. From what I've seen of later titles, they've got oversaturated graphics, lineal gameplay and overall seem a lot less movie-like. I don't know much about their story, but I heard they messed up a few nice concepts from 1.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Just out of curiosity, what nice concepts from Crysis 1 did you like? I'm actually replaying it now. Never got into 2. Sounds like I won't get into 3 either.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Crysis 2 is a much better game than Crysis 1 in a lot of ways and much worse in some others. It's kind of an orthoquel.

Ironically Crysis 3 has pretty much the same relationship to Crysis 2.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Just out of curiosity, what nice concepts from Crysis 1 did you like? I'm actually replaying it now. Never got into 2. Sounds like I won't get into 3 either.
Ceph in general, especially their architecture and the fact they lived in 0G. Also, nanosuit in C2 was an alien gizmo, I preferred when it was a piece of human tech. Also, C1 had more open gameplay and better, more realistic graphics.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
personally i found C2, though fun enough gameplay wise to warrant replays, to be pretty much entirely inferior to 1.  the things i liked better about 2 were being able to shoot silenced weapons in stealth mode, stealth kills, and the armor mode actually acting like it increased your armor.  i also rather liked the single-press suit mode buttons, but i'd gladly give those up for all 4 modes and leaning back.

i AM a little curious as to how they attempt to rectify the stories, but i know i won't accept it as anything more than damage control for how terribad 2 was.  won't be buying this until it's both cheap and available outside of origin.  which may mean never but oh well.

Offline An4ximandros

I played 2 twice, I played 1 about 5 times, not counting the hours of Power Struggle... ye shall be missed. :(

My point is, Crysis one was better because of the sandbox element which allowed you to play levels several different ways. C2 had a wow factor that expired after the first time.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
which may mean never but oh well.
When they finish milking it with DLCs, it'll most likely appear on Steam as a special edition with all that junk pre-installed. You could then wait till Steam has a fat discount on that title, about a year from the release a game can get very cheap indeed. It'd most likely be the time I'm going to buy it.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i thought i heard something about EA saying origin games will never be released outside of origin.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Crysis 2 had the best story in the whole series and is actually one of the better alien invasion games ever made on the macro concept level. It just has little to nothing to do with Crysis 1.