Author Topic: Win compatibility (auto-disable DPI scaling)?  (Read 2683 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Win compatibility (auto-disable DPI scaling)?
Is it possible to have FSO set with compatibility options out-of-the-box, so people don't have problems if they have DPI scaling on?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Win compatibility (auto-disable DPI scaling)?
Why would people be running FSO in compatibility mode to start with?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
From author=http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=89660.0

Hello i could not find a help section so im just posting hear , sorry if  this thread has to be moved.

Im having a  problem getting the mod to run properly. Basicaly  everything is working  fine  but my mouse courser is only abel to accsses the tops left side of the screen ( about  2/3 of the way up and down and side to side. Iv tryed  all the resoulotions both on the launcher and on my monitor , also i tryed useing a diffrent monitor ( a  1080p and a 4 k i want to use the 4k if  i can ) but the same problem.

The odd part is my GoG  stock launcher with no mods works  fine and  i  have full range  with the  mouse. I feel like it's something on my end somewhare but  i can't figure it out.

Any help would be greatly apreciated. ( i can't reach the mission start key in brefings so i can't  start  :(  )

Thx for your time
How does the mouse behave if you run it in a window?

@AdmiralRalwood

Yha works fine in windows mode however the screen scaling is not correct. If  i have 3840 x 2160 on my monitor the same resoulotion dose not fit if selected from the launcher. I need to select 2560 x 1440 to fit in windows mode from the launcher to match up to my 3840 x 2160 selection on the desktop ?

If you guys need any other info plz ask and  i will send or  if the attatchment is not correct  let me know so i can try again .

Thx again guys.

IDK if this helps  but  im Using a ASUS PB287Q monitor and 2 GTX SC 980's on a rampage 5 mother board

Turn off DPI scaling in Windows.
Returning DPI scaling to defult mode  worked man you found the problem.

Thx you very much sir. The speed at witch you guys figured that out is  impresive to say the least. Did 1 mission before i came to reply to this post, WOW  im jaw dropping impresed by the work iv seen done to this game. you all are amazing !!!!!!

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
This might not be quite the right request then.  Instead of asking to run with compatibility options (which are intended to be used for programs that can't be maintained to support newer OS features), we should probably be asking if we can make FSO behave correctly on high-DPI displays.

Given the specific problem you had with the mouse input, I'm curious if this is still an issue in the SDL branch, or if we've already inadvertently fixed it by switching everything on Windows to SDL2.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm actually surprised that the problem expressed itself in this way; usually we get complaints of the game going off the screen instead. I've kind of been wanting to look into getting FSO to react to DPI scaling in some way, but it's been really low on my to-do list.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Well, temporarily, until it is fixed, if there is a way to set compatibility options (I think some GOG games do this), that would be a stopgap measure.  It's per .exe file, so when it's fixed, just remove either the internal coding for compatibility mode, or the installer applying it (not sure which one is used).

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There are ways to do this. They are bad, and MS doesn't recommend using them (rightly so). So we won't be using them.

See also: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2010/03/11/9976571.aspx
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns