Author Topic: [RELEASE 2/2] Freespace Soundtrack Expansion Project (16IF, 16B, 13MH)  (Read 19347 times)

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
[RELEASE 2/2] Freespace Soundtrack Expansion Project (16IF, 16B, 13MH)
Part I Mod Use Compilation (7 In-Flight, 7 Briefing, 5 Mainhall) (UPDATED August 28, 2021)

Part I Listenable Album (320 kbps mp3)

Part II Mod Use Compilation (9 In-Flight, 9 Briefing, 8 Mainhall)

Part II Listenable Album (320 kbps mp3)

As promised a while ago, I've begun work on some original music to be used generally by the community. Anyone will be welcome to use these tracks as they become available. Because I have had success with this method in the past, I will be writing music, at least initially, based on the ships of the base games. I will keep my progress up to date in this post.

An important note: if you hear a track that is close to something you would use, but needs some small tweaking, let me know. Once I am done the overall project I can try and make modified versions to fit specific needs.

A few notes on my method, which will hopefully result in a good range of styles/moods:

• Terran, Vasudan, and Shivan tracks will have distinct styles in addition to an electronic sci-fi component. (Militaristic, ethereal, metal/horror respectively)
  • FS1 ships will result in more vintage synthesizer sounds and synthesized instruments; FS2 ships will result in modern synthesizer sounds and real instruments.
  • In-flight tracks will be based on groups of small craft (interceptors, space superiority, assault fighters, light bombers, heavy bombers). I find it helpful to write a single track first and split later, so I will provide a "master" version of each of these as well. Where possible, I will try and make a set of 3 ambience tracks for FS1 style soundtracks, along with a 4th ambience track for FS2 style soundtracks.
  • I will release each in-flight as a separate .7z file for now, which will include all of the soundtrack files as .ogg (usually 9 per set) and a .tbm two .tbms filled with the right names and values, one for FS1-style soundtracks and one for FS2-style soundtracks (both using the FS2 standard auxiliary tracks for victory, death, etc.). Once I get more finished, I might group them one way or another. The “Master” track, in .mp3, will be posted via a separate link.
  • Briefings will be based on cruisers, corvettes and possibly some other miscellaneous craft.
  • Mainhalls will be based on destroyers (and those two juggernauts).

Having this structure will help me stay motivated, since I like to think about the big picture of things. But obviously I will take artistic liberties as needed. Yes, it's a bit weird, but it works so what can I say? I don't know if I'll get through everything on my list, but I will pick at it when I get a chance.

Sidenote: this music (just like all of my stuff lately) will be released under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike. Meaning that you can use them freely even outside Freespace-related things, as long as you give me credit and share any derivatives of the music under the same license.

Audius Playlist

Progress (None/Started/Done Master/Released; Part 1 in yellow, Part 2 in purple):

In-flight:
Terran scouts/interceptors: Released (Master) ("On the Wings of Triumph")
Terran space superiority: Released (Master) ("Heroes of Old")
Terran assault/heavy fighters: Released (Master) ("Fury of the Gods")
Terran light bombers: Released (Master) ("Nightfall on Olympus")
Terran heavy bombers: Released (Master) ("Grizzled Thunder")
Vasudan scouts/interceptors: Released (Master) ("Cry of the Falcon")
Vasudan space superiority: Released (Master) ("Writing on the Wall")
Vasudan assault/heavy fighters: Released (Master) ("Born of the Desert")
Vasudan light bombers: Released (Master) ("The Bull and the Lioness")
Vasudan heavy bombers: Released (Master) ("Dying Sky")
Shivan scouts/interceptors: Released (Master) ("Sting of the Fallen") (UPDATED August 24, 2021)
Shivan space superiority: Released (Master) ("Twice Burned")
Shivan space superiority - high-energy remix: Released ("Twice Burned (Killer Dragon Remix)")
Shivan assault/heavy fighters: Released (Master) ("Demons of Wrath")
Shivan light bombers: Released (Master) ("Serpent's Kiss")
Shivan heavy bombers: Released (Master) ("The Fallen Ones")

Briefings:
GTC Fenris: Released ("Away from the Pack")
GTC Leviathan: Released ("Beast in the Black")
GTC Aeolus: Released ("Headwinds")
GTCv Deimos: Released ("Anxious Encounter")
GTI Ganymede: Released ("Attendant to the Divine")
GVC Aten: Released ("Drops of Sunlight")
GVC Mentu: Released ("The Emerging Bull")
GVCv Sobek: Released ("Snapping Jaw")
GVG Anuket: Released ("Stellar Embrace")
GVT Isis: Released ("Afterlife")
SC Cain: Released ("Bloodshed")
SC Lilith: Released ("Contagion")
SC Rakshasa: Released ("Desecrator") (Yes, I know that isn't technically a real word...)
SCv Moloch: Released ("Sacrifice")
Shivan Comm Node: Released ("Sinister Transmissions")

Mainhalls:
GTD Orion: Released ("The Great Hunt")
GTD Hecate: Released ("Beyond Fate") Middle Section Removed Very Simplified Alternate/Spacier Version Very Simplified Alternate/Spacier Version
GTD Hades: Released ("Out of the Darkness")
NTF Iceni: Released ("Burned Alliance")
GVD Typhon: Released ("Battle for Supremacy")
GVD Hatshepsut: Released ("The New Pharaohs")
SD Demon: Released ("Spawns of Terror")
SD Lucifer: Released ("The Bringer of Death")
SD Ravana: Released ("Roar of the Destroyer")
SJ Sathanas 1: Released ("From the Mists")
SJ Sathanas 2: Released ("Incursion")
SJ Sathanas 3: Released ("Cataclysm at Capella") Shorter version Even shorter/looping version

Special GTVA Colossus set ("Their Finest Hour"):
Colossus In-Flight: Released
Colossus Briefing: Released
Colossus Mainhall: Released
Colossus Suite: Released

[attachment deleted to save space]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 10:40:43 pm by ShadowsOfLight »

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: Freespace Soundtrack Expansion Project [WIP]
Note that the attachment will get erased after a few weeks.

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
Note that the attachment will get erased after a few weeks.

Thanks for the head's up. That was just to give a preview of the track, all of the important stuff is in the MediaFire link. Maybe I'll start doing YouTube for that instead.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Great work.  I really like the first track and I'm looking forward to the others. :yes:

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
Great work.  I really like the first track and I'm looking forward to the others. :yes:

Thanks!

I've uploaded a new pack, corresponding to Shivan Light Bombers. Master version posted on the Discord server for now, until I get things in gear for something more accessible. Discord link

Offline Luis Dias

It's a really cool work, I like it keep up :yes:

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
It's a really cool work, I like it keep up :yes:

Thanks!

Now finished two briefing tracks, which correspond to the Vasudan cruiser classes. I'm also going to try out a new streaming platform to assist with track previews.

Audius Playlist

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
Over the last few days, I have added a Mainhall (GTD Hades) and two more in-flight tracks (Terran Assault & Vasudan Heavy Bombers). Hoping to continue blitzing a new track every couple of days, at least until the end of the month - keep an eye on the first post for updates :yes:

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
There's been a lot of response to this on discord already but it's a shame this thread looks a little quiet in contrast. So, let me just say this whole project is impressive, fantastic, and if you haven't listened to any of it you should. Especially if you're making Freespace missions.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
There's been a lot of response to this on discord already but it's a shame this thread looks a little quiet in contrast. So, let me just say this whole project is impressive, fantastic, and if you haven't listened to any of it you should. Especially if you're making Freespace missions.

Thank you! It's been great energy on the Discord server, lots of smiles for me on hearing the feedback.

Also, Colt made a showcase mission for one of the tracks (Dying Sky aka Vasudan Heavy Bomber):

In doing so, he discovered a couple of "bugs", so I've made two changes to the in-flight tracks:

• Filenames are shortened.
  • I'm going to include two TBM files per set, to make it easier to choose between FS1 and FS2 style cycling. Of course, these are just examples... Feel free to mix and match at your leisure.

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
For anyone watching this project, I've hit a couple of important milestones in the last day or so:

• There is now an in-flight corresponding to each type of small ship.
  • In-flight, Briefing, and Mainhall all have tracks corresponding to each species.
  • I have broken the 40 minute mark, which is a sort of threshold I have to consider something a releasable project.

Anyways, more to come! And big thanks to everyone on the Discord server for great discussions.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I finally had the time to catch up with this. Great Work - Keep it up!
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Also, Colt made a showcase mission for one of the tracks (Dying Sky aka Vasudan Heavy Bomber):

I opted to do similar with Sting of the Fallen and a WIP warmachine mission
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
Thanks, 0rph3u5 and EatThePath. Sting of the Fallen is the Shivan Scout/Interceptor track, which came on the heels of the current top-track, The Bringer of Death (inspired by the SD Lucifer). Currently working through Terran Heavy Bombers.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
I love all of these.  :yes:

The shivan in-mission ones would be perfect for Trimurti!
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
Thank you!

I haven't played it yet, but part of me thinks that the music for Trimurti should just be chaotic crackles, buzzes, bleeps and bloops. :D

But seriously, if it makes sense to use in a campaign, go nuts!

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
Re: [WIP] Freespace Soundtrack Expansion Project (7IF, 5B, 4MH)
Just a quick update: due to things happening irl, and the possibility of my first payed commission, I haven't been able to touch this for a few days.

As it stands, it has reached about the same amount of music as an individual FS game, and over an hour of original music if you consider the multiple in-flight loops. That is in about one month's worth of work... I'm hoping that this start will help me stay motivated and see the entire plan through, but as a head's up expect it to go slower from now on.

Can't wait to see where it is used going forward!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: [WIP] Freespace Soundtrack Expansion Project (7IF, 5B, 4MH)
Congrats 💪💪💪🎉🎉🎉👍👍👍
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
Re: [WIP] Freespace Soundtrack Expansion Project (7IF, 7B, 5MH)
Another quick milestone update on this project. I am now complete 7 in-flight, 7 briefing, and 5 mainhall tracks; I am considering this project roughly half-done overall. I am going to take a bit of time and generate an "official" / external release at this point. To avoid even a slim possibility of copyright issues, I am going to release this under my "Synesthetic" series, with the title "Synesthetic Xenotype I: Cataclysm".

I will let everyone know when everything is ready to go on the usual streaming/sharing platforms; for now, anyone who wants to hear the music in the album order (on Audius), and get a sneak peek at the artwork, check out the following link: Synesthetic Xenotype I: Cataclysm

As I side note, my current line of thinking is that I will include a single Ambient-only track and a single Battle-only track for each in-flight, in addition to the "Master" versions I have already posted. These would come at the end as bonus tracks. I think I am also going to include "Mission"/"Briefing"/"Mainhall" in the titles.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: [RELEASE 1/2] Freespace Soundtrack Expansion Project (7IF, 7B, 5MH)
I will put these to good use. :P

Also, wikified.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.