Author Topic: What kind of ships are in demand right now?  (Read 10939 times)

What kind of ships are in demand right now?
So I just found out I'm going to be confined to this hospital bed for around a month, and basically the only thing I have with me at this moment is the old laptop with a few games I've already beaten ten times over, and some rather poorly written Sci-fi books. This does not a productive month make, so I figured, instead of cluttering up your forums with useless posts, why not do something semi-useful? So I just installed blender, and I'm currently running through the various tutorials.

Now my question to you guys, as the thread title states, is simply, what kind of Ships do you need?

The reason for this question is twofold - for one, I'm sure Hard Light gets all kinds of post-Capella Beamrape destroyers and Shivan superships, and if I make something I'd like it to possibly see some use, you know? The second reason, is quite simply, that I'm fairly unimaginative and I'm much more likely to produce something of quality if I have a distinct end goal.

So guys, any ideas?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: What kind of ships are in demand right now?
Shivan and Vasudan ships. We don't have nearly enough of those.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Shivan and Vasudan fighters and warships in the fighter-corvette range.

I've noticed that it has been said occasionally that there are too few civilian vessels or transport / freighter ships available. Non-combat utility type ships like those would probably be welcome.

I've recently been trying to learn how to use Blender too, and would like to contribute some stuff if I get proficient enough at modeling.

EDIT: Sorry to hear about your confinement to hospital. I hope things improve. :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:59:44 pm by lostllama »

Also Shivan and Vasudan installations id say. We literaly only have 1 HTL isntallation for each. The PVI Kharnak and the new SI Arachnas (which got accidentaly released early :P)

Well, I want to make something killy, so it looks like it's going to be either Shivan or Vasudan then. Shivan fighters seem to be easy (no cockpits,) so I guess I'll start there. Thanks guys. I'll see if I cant whip something up in a reasonable timeframe, assuming I can get this damn program to cooperate.

Well, I want to make something killy, so it looks like it's going to be either Shivan or Vasudan then. Shivan fighters seem to be easy (no cockpits,) so I guess I'll start there. Thanks guys. I'll see if I cant whip something up in a reasonable timeframe, assuming I can get this damn program to cooperate.
Learning Blender is a lot easier than getting the damn ship to work in game.

Learning Blender is a lot easier than getting the damn ship to work in game.

That fills me with so much hope. Truly, this will be an intuitive, easy, and fun experience. (Blender's not actually giving me a lot of trouble, I've just never modeled anything before, and the camera controls are throwing me off a bit.)

That fills me with so much hope. Truly, this will be an intuitive, easy, and fun experience. (Blender's not actually giving me a lot of trouble, I've just never modeled anything before, and the camera controls are throwing me off a bit.)
Don't get me wrong, it will take a bit for you to get a hang of the controls, but it's quite versatile. I normally only need to use 1, 3, 5, and 7 on the numpad and the middle mouse button (assuming you have one) for moving the camera. I'm not sure how much you already know, so I apologize if I'm repeating things you already know, but most of the work is best done with the keyboard shortcuts, as opposed to the cluster**** of buttons on the bottom.

So I gathered. Admittedly, half the problem I was having at the outset was that I didn't realize Num Lock needed to be on to use the Num Pad shortcuts. Since I've figured that out, I've been chugging away.

So, probably getting a little ahead of myself here, seeing as how I've just started getting to the meat of this program, but what kind of Shivan fighter do people want to see, if they have a preference? Light, Heavy, Lovecraftian Abomination, aquatic predator-esque, so on. Anyone has any preferences, I'll take them under advisement. Suggestions can only help.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Well, what I for one would like to see is more Scorpion-esque or Dragon-like fighters (read: asymmetric). Asymmetry was one of the defining things about the Shivans that for me made them so alien. So more of that, please. :D Too many symmetric ships out there these days.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
The community needs Shivan just about everything, but especially bombers, corvettes, and destroyers.

As far as my Shivan preferences, I like them the way they looked in FS1.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:21:09 pm by Woolie Wool »
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

I'd go with a sleek, aquatic, semi-insectoid-style stealth fighter - the Shivans don't presently have one of those.

Also, an idea for later:

I'm sure Hard Light gets all kinds of post-Capella Beamrape destroyers and Shivan superships

Esarai made some pretty awesome destroyers (and larger)...but when was the last time we had an ultra-high-detail Shivan superdestroyer/juggernaut/superjugg?

You saw what they did with the GVD Hatsepshut, SC Lilith, and SC Cain. They were alright before, but now they are EPIC. I'm waiting for a remodel of a ship like the Demon, Lucifer, or Sathanas. (saw concept art of a redone Sath here on the forums - is that in the making?) On the Vasudan side, you could consider the Mentu, Sobek, or Typhon.

If you feel really adventerous, the SSD Gigas could use some love. It's kinda low-poly, even for a cruiser. It really only looks good when viewed from more than 5 KM away.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:24:18 pm by StargateSpankyHam »
:divedivedive: <--- This needs to be a smiley.
Developer of the Singularity campaign/mod (WIP)
I call dibs on developing a Capella Barbecue Theory campaign.

If you feel really adventerous, the SSD Gigas could use some love. It's kinda low-poly, even for a cruiser. It really only looks good when viewed from more than 5 KM away.

The inferno team has already revealed the new Gigas, though to be fair it's a completely different design now.

Thanks for the suggestions though. Anybody else has any input whatsoever, post it. Any sort of inspiration helps.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Shivan Corvettes.
There are none, except the Scylla, and that's low-poly, and in like every other mod.

I'd rather have Shivan Bombers than fighters, TBH.

but when was the last time we had an ultra-high-detail Shivan superdestroyer/juggernaut/superjugg?

SSJ Dante.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Inferno ships.

Offline Qent

A Vasudan juggernaut.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Small vasudan ships, and civilian stuff. Any small installations would be cool, especially a small vasudan base (You said you wanted something killy, make it a front line military base ;))
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
...but when was the last time we had an ultra-high-detail Shivan superdestroyer/juggernaut/superjugg?

A Vasudan juggernaut.

Ships larger than juggernauts are an extremely bad idea, and we have already way too much of those. I'd really suggest you concentrate on smaller ships - actually, anything smaller than destroyers. We really lack of those on the Zod and Shivan front. And yay for asymmetrical designs (for Shivans, not for Zods). Symmetry is boring.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Vasudan anythings