Poll

FS2H's music modus should be like...

Halo: Combat Evolved - no music except during larger fights, important dialogue and/or epic moments
Freespace 2 - music all the time, split between ambiance and combat
Classic Video Games - don't EVER stop the same, mad beats, DJ!!!

Author Topic: POLL: Setting the Mood  (Read 5018 times)

Offline Devrous

• SPARTAN-151
  • RAMPANT AI
    • FS2H
POLL: Setting the Mood
Something that really set the first (and subsequent) Halo games apart from most was that the music was used as a dramatic tool as much as the visuals and dialogue were. They only played at certain times and rarely looped unless it was a long fight sequence. The first Halo game was, in my opinion, the best and most true to this concept as the later ones played more music more often.

What do YOU think?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: POLL: Setting the Mood
As the setting.

EDIT: well, at least until everyone complains in beta. :P
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:05:50 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
went option 2, though I didnt miss the music in the quiet parts of H:CE it is nice to have a little bg ambience when there is not much to concentrate on with the important stuff emphasised with appropriate and more noticeable mood music.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I was once told by a teacher that there was this movie that was awesome because it didn't have BGM at all, and people never noticed, something about BGM being used (implied as a crutch) to "force" viewers into certain emotions (sometimes constantly, to make up for/hide dodgy bits), where a powerful enough work doesn't have to do that.

So yeah, I never noticed that H:CE had parts without BGM...so they did a damn good job with that. If you could do the same :yes:
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
So yeah, I never noticed that H:CE had parts without BGM...so they did a damn good job with that. If you could do the same :yes:
I hope you can. :yes:

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Went with the 2nd option. FS IMO did the music really good.

Offline aurora_energy

• Adrift in the never ending void
Maybe it is just me, but I thought the FS music helped add suspense before and during combat. Halo:CE would be good too, but I think the FS style would suit better. Maybe you can work a hybrid so that the music stops at some points, but plays shortly before a ambush or something.
Imagine awakening, and hearing the heartbeat of the galaxy for the first time.
It is like a cloud, a mist that drifts from living creature to creature, set in motion by currents and eddies.
It is the eye of the storm, the passions of all living things turned into energy, into a chorus.
It is the rising swell at the end of life, the promise of new territories and new blood, the call of new mysteries in the dark.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Maybe it is just me, but I thought the FS music helped add suspense before and during combat. Halo:CE would be good too, but I think the FS style would suit better. Maybe you can work a hybrid so that the music stops at some points, but plays shortly before a ambush or something.

The only issue with that is that it gives the player a clue that "something" is going to happen
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline aurora_energy

• Adrift in the never ending void
Yeah, that occurred to me. Could be done though.

Just tossing ideas around. Either one of the first 2 options would work really well
Imagine awakening, and hearing the heartbeat of the galaxy for the first time.
It is like a cloud, a mist that drifts from living creature to creature, set in motion by currents and eddies.
It is the eye of the storm, the passions of all living things turned into energy, into a chorus.
It is the rising swell at the end of life, the promise of new territories and new blood, the call of new mysteries in the dark.

Emulating the feel of H:CE is more important than emulating the feel of FS.