Author Topic: Freespace trademark, to be bought by "Stompy Bot Productions inc." game company?  (Read 20939 times)

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Re: Freespace trademark, to be bought by "Stompy Bot Productions inc." game company?
wing commander? meh. they've collected more dust than us so it's no surprise if the criticisms are about cliche story or nerfed physics. tachyon and starshatter do come to mind unless they don't have an active and loyal community.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Re: Freespace trademark, to be bought by "Stompy Bot Productions inc." game company?
tachyon...   ....come to mind unless they don't have an active and loyal community.

Hey... We're still here after 12 years! We don't even have a decently moddable game.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
um correct me if i'm wrong. does that mean tachyon isn't moddable which is why you're modding an older engine?

sry if i'm hijacking but this thread isn't going anywhere anyways.  :blah:
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Tell that to some of the Wing Commander community.  Apparently there's a vocal minority that feels like FS2 killed the genre. :p

It's getting pretty small by all accounts. It's pretty hard to be Anti-FS after Wing Commander Saga's release.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
um correct me if i'm wrong. does that mean tachyon isn't moddable which is why you're modding an older engine?

Tachyon and FS2 came out in the same year 1999.  Tach was dropped like a hot potato by NovaLogic and the devs were forced
to release it half baked. Either way I've got the blessing of the main designers. been doing this 6 years, and I'll put another 6 in if
that's what it takes. I've modded Tach several times. But we don't have the benefit of any sources, like FS2 did. The exe is equivalent
of the frontier regions.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline -Sara-

Update! Interplay Entertainment Corp. now filed a new trademark request also for FreeSpace. Might be just to keep the trademark, or maybe bigger plans. Probably the former.

US Serial for Trademark: 85765250
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Freespace Row?

With added purple IFF code?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Update! Interplay Entertainment Corp. now filed a new trademark request also for FreeSpace. Might be just to keep the trademark, or maybe bigger plans. Probably the former.

US Serial for Trademark: 85765250
Quote from: Interplay Trademark Application
For: (Based on Use in Commerce) Computer game software for personal computers and home video game consoles; Computer game software for use on mobile and cellular phones; Computer game software for use with personal computers, home video game consoles used with televisions and arcade-based video game consoles; Computer programs for video and computer games; Downloadable computer game programs; Downloadable computer game software via a global computer network and wireless devices(Based on Intent to Use) Cinematographic films featuring space combat and exploration, interstellar warfare and politics; Motion picture films about space combat and exploration, interstellar warfare and politics

Also For: Comic books; Graphic novels; Novels; Board games; Card games; Positionable printed toy figures for use in games; Positionable three dimensional toys for use in games; Positionable two dimensional toys for use in games; Tabletop games; Tabletop hobby battle games in the nature of battle, war and skirmish games, and fantasy games, and playing equipment sold as a unit therewith; Film production

Interplay, don't tease us like this! If you were just going by the trademark, it would sound like Interplay is planning an entire FreeSpace multi-media empire.

I would kill for a FreeSpace version of the new X-Wing Miniatures game.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Probably just covering all of their bases I'm afraid.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, I'd imagine that assortment is fairly routine.

Offline -Sara-

Probably just covering all of their bases I'm afraid.

Am fairly sure that's exactly it. :( They probably have got a list with trademarks they owned in the past 20 years and forward it to their attorneys to 'update' the trademark rights when they run out.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
When it's your establishing your own rights, you want to write it as widely as you get away with. Easier for you, easier also if you try to sell your rights. No need to go through an application process or sign an agreement again in the event you want to try something different.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:11:48 am by Ypoknons »
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Tell that to some of the Wing Commander community.  Apparently there's a vocal minority that feels like FS2 killed the genre. :p

We didn't kill anything, this is what we're up to here when looking from an outside perspective:
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

One game to rule them all?
If FS2 killed the genre it's only because it perfected the genre (and everyone else was too scared to try to release competing games).
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
FS2 didn't kill the genre. Interplay killed the genre by doing a very ****ty marketting of FS2, which lead to poor sales, which lead to the death of the genre. That is entirely different !
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Luis Dias

How could an amazing game "kill" a genre? That would be ludicrous in its face. What happened was a combination of multiple events that all conspired to make the genre dead. If the problem was solely one of marketing then it would make little sense for any other company to abandon the genre. The wider market merely showed that it wanted more realistic complex and rich human environments, and not abstract shooters in empty spaces.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The argument goes that Interplay's crappy marketing resulted in poor sales for the game. Other producers simply saw a AAA space game get poor sales and got scared of making space games.

Whether that's a good argument or not is another matter.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]