Author Topic: Naboo UVed  (Read 30863 times)

Offline rhettro

After a little time off I sat down determined to learn how to do UV textures in Blender. I have the base diffuse texture applied. Needs some dirt and rust. Then I'll start working on the bump map, then the shine map to get the chrome parts right.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:58:19 pm by rhettro »

Welcome back!

Before you get too far into texturing, you could try separating the chrome from the yellow parts on the uv map.  If you make a bit of space between too very different textures, you get a very crisp clean division on the texture when it's applied to the ship.

Offline rhettro

Thanks bobbtmann,

I have some texture islands setup to do that in some places. To do that with the nose cone, wings and engines I would have to rework the polys. That is unless someone knows how to cut one group of polygons with another in Blender. My idea was to bumpmap a crease between them to get better separation.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 06:32:41 pm by rhettro »

Just cut a line where the grey ends and the yellow begins. Then on the uv map, just break it at the new line you made. A bump mapped crease would be just as constrained as diffuse map in terms of resolution.

Offline newman

Yep, you'll never get that bump mapped line to be as thin as you want it that way. Bobbtmann's solution is what would work best here, and you'd always get a sharp edge without res issues.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline rhettro

You guys are correct, that is the best solution. Forgive me for being a Blender nOOb, but by cutting a line do you mean with the Knife tool? I can segment edges and pull the verticies to line up with the change in material and then separate them out into different uv islands, but that is a lot of work.  I'll still do it if that is what is required.

K -> Knife (Exact) will cut selected edges exactly where you draw the cutting line, so indeed that's probably the most convenient tool here.

Offline rhettro

Minor update. I cut the polygons on the nose and rebuilt the wings so I could have separate uv islands for each individual texture. Looking a little cleaner now. Now onto the bump mapping.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yes, the color separation is much sharper now, very nice.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
Do you think I could see a wireframe version?  I'd like to provide some useful critique, but seeing a wireframe shot would help me immensely in helping you solve a few of the issues on the model.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline rhettro

Critique? But it's already perfect.  :D

No problem, wires attached below.  When I got ready to work on my normal maps I noticed I flaired the wing a little to far back. Current wires and render below show the fixed condition.  Thanks for the input.

Offline rhettro

And just for fun, the original NURBS wireframe.

Have you ever tried box modelling? Might be more efficient.

Offline rhettro

I have tried box modeling. I can't say I like it much but I understand how it would make the models more efficient. When I started this project, it was to see if I could work NURBs modeling into a ship building framework. So I've faced a lot of obstacles, but I've learned a lot. I know what I would do differently. For curvilinear forms, you can't beat NURBs for creating accurately shaped ships, if you have a fairly capable polygon modeler, like MAX, then cross sections and lofts would probably be the way to go.

Offline starlord

that's very nice looking!

Offline rhettro

Tried to work on textures a bit more today.  I still need to tweak the location/size of the panel lines, but it is starting to look like a finished product.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Unfortunately Rhettro, bobbtmann's right about NURBS.  They're just inefficient for low poly modeling in games.  This model is certainly way too high poly to really consider using in game, and not necessarily because of the overall polycount, which I don't know, but it's just inefficient due to its method of construction.   
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Considering that Naboo never had more than a few of these, I think this could be a non-issue in most practical situations.
One squadron, max. two was all that we've seen in EP1. I doubt they have many more.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
That's still no excuse for a model that has 4 times as many polies as it needs to.

Offline rhettro

This model is certainly way too high poly to really consider using in game, and not necessarily because of the overall polycount,

Hi brand, thanks for the input, but I have to admit, I don't really understand the quoted statement above. 

A few caveats, whether my model gets used in the game or not is totally up to you guys, it won't hurt my feelings if you decide not too. :) From the start I've modeled the Naboo as a learning excercise for myself, if one of the things we learn is we can't use NURBS then I guess we learned something.

Currently the model's detail0 polycount is around 5700, which is about 15% more polygons you would want for a standard model, but then again this isn't a standard model. It has changing radii in both dimensions, NURBs as a modeling technique is probably the most accurate way to capture the shape.  Once you have the NURBs form you have the option of how many polygons to use when exported.  You can make it as course or as finely detailed as you want.

I plan on developing it all the way and getting it in game. Once I have walked through the entire process, I'll have a better idea how to refine it for the next ship. 

Cheers.