Great
12 (26.1%)
Good
12 (26.1%)
OK
13 (28.3%)
Sucked
2 (4.3%)
.....Why did Spartan even create this thread?
7 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: September 07, 2006, 06:15:03 pm

Author Topic: Freelancer  (Read 11812 times)

I like Freelancer. The one thing that they should have had was joystick controls (spartan loves his ST290 Pro for being able to program to be able to play it on Freelancer). The storyline was good, the ending was good, the characters were okay, the ships were cool, the modability almost matches FS2, the ability to change just about anything on your ship (and everything if you got the mod program), and I thought it was just a good overall game.

92%

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
The storyline was good, the ending was good, the characters were okay

:wtf:

You played the same game I did?

It had some good moments (escape from Liberty being my favorite), but towards the end I found the story and the character development falling apart.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

I agree that the ending was cut-and-paste. . . but the characters were well rounded. . . but I didn't like having to sit in the same sector for hours before Juni came back. . . how long does it take that woman to find her contacts?!

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Freelancer was a pretty good game, even if you could tell about the audio-clip cut and paste. I agree it had a pretty good story, decent characters. And of course awesome music. :p

It fell apart at the end of the main storyline though. And one of the things that really, seriously annoyed me was the total lack of targets to use the ultra-super-duper torpedos on once I finally got to the level where I could. I remember doing a lot of screwing around with the heavy fighters after the end. I liked the Rhineland Valkyrie, but tearing a ship apart with one pass in the Corsair M10 Titan was more fun.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
"How you doing? You new here? Here's what we have."

No, just no. The game was boring, the combat was dull - did anyone else notice that EVERYTHING in the entire game was on one plane? There was no Y axis, the entire universe, from the planets to asteroid belts to where the space craft warped in, it was all on the same plane.
The storyline was meh, pretty cliched. The ship designs were butt-ugly ( all the ships were blocky and oddly designed - basically if you handed a 13 year old one of those novelty giant pencils and told him to design ships, those are what you'd get) the graphics were bad, the trading was lame, the voice acting was a dud, and all the missions you flew, nomatter where you went, basically boiled down to "go here, kill these guys".

Oh yea - AND NO STICK SUPPORT!

Now, on the plus side, it has good mod support. That's it though.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I quite enjoyed it, but it was always too much a case of 'neither one nor the other', it wasn't involved enough to be the sandbox game it was presented as. Though, apparently, some mods changed that.

All in all it was a fun, graphically and audibly atmospheric game that I enjoyed playing, but it doesn't stand out as something that occupied my nights for weeks on end or anything.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!

play it with a stylus pen and then come back to me, bucko  :p
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't played it... but I did see a short clip of it on your old "Invisi-l33t" video.... and I say the graphics=  :no:
Or was that just your graphics card? :lol:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
And one of the things that really, seriously annoyed me was the total lack of targets to use the ultra-super-duper torpedos on once I finally got to the level where I could. I remember doing a lot of screwing around with the heavy fighters after the end. I liked the Rhineland Valkyrie, but tearing a ship apart with one pass in the Corsair M10 Titan was more fun.

There was a cool mod called "Evolutions" that totally rebalanced all of the fighters, added new fighters, and also added capital ship encounters (although I felt this part of it wasn't implemented particularly well, you would always run into huge battlegroups instead of, say, a cruiser and a fighter wing on patrol.)
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

that was the onboard Intel GFX card, now upgraded to a GeForce FX 5500 Overclocked BFG beastie. . .(except the beastie part).

does your stick come with a programmable driver? mine does. . . It allows me to play Freelancer w/ my ST290Pro (see top post). You should see if your driver will let you do that. . . .

I haven't played it... but I did see a short clip of it on your old "Invisi-l33t" video.... and I say the graphics=  :no:
Or was that just your graphics card? :lol:

if any of you guys want to see that 'Invisi-l33t" video I made for Computer Applications class, tell me a site where they will host it, and I will put a link to it here.

Back to Freelancer:
      Yea, the one problem I had was those "cut and paste audio" inputs. They could have at least added some variety. Not just said, "Okay, here's the deal," and gave you the mission thing. . . Gah, after playing that for hours on end (don't ask, spartan had a really crappy computer before he upgraded) that got really annoying. . . but I disagree with the combat being dull. Uknown Target, have you ever played the multiplayer? GAh, beastly. . .

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Multiplayer PvP tends to be charging at each other head-on, full burners. Quite boring, really.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
It downright SUCKED if you ask me.

Fly to point A, blast target, tractor a piece of the target (some originality) to your "cargo bay," fly to point B and get your reward. not much of a way to move the storyline along.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace
I thought it was a good game. What I didn't like was the silly plot towards the end, and the absolutely boring non-plot missions. The lack of joystick didn't bother me at all. I've played through FS2 and most of Tie Fighter with only a keyboard and mouse. It was like child's play for me.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny

Fly to point A, blast target, tractor a piece of the target (some originality) to your "cargo bay," fly to point B and get your reward. not much of a way to move the storyline along.

One of its biggest flaws was the random mission generator.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon

I find that quite amusing considering you have stated you like Darkstar One. Except that in DS1 only bosses drop cargos and you get your reward instantly. IMHO there's not that big differences between Freelancer and DS1, both are decent enough games. IMHO I-War 2 got the balance between simplicity, difficulty, missions better than Freelancer or DS1 although the learning curve of I-War 2 was considerably higher but still far from X games which I haven't even bothered to try out.

Edit: Bollocks, I mixed Cobra and Ashrak. :doubt: Anyway, carry on...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'll jump in my Cobra Mk3 with Military Lasers and an Expanded Cargo hold and whup you all :p

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Odd. I actually liked the ending.

Where Freelancer suffered for me was the non-plot missions. I had no problems with the plotline itself but being forced to sit around doing boring missions or trading in order to progress bored the hell out of me.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Best bit for me is the Freeform nature, Its like one big Starlancer.
I like X3 dont get me wrong, but FL is less system hungry...
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Best bit for me is the Freeform nature, Its like one big Starlancer.
I like X3 dont get me wrong, but FL is less system hungry...

ergh, X3 =! Freelancer

Freelancer had an action element where X3 was very slow and had a flawed combat engine, it's learning curve was STEEP, and if you hadn't played the game before, you had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to work the interface.

Freelancer's problems stemmed from it's lack of proper scale, and its rather simplistic plot.
i'm looking forward to see a nice balance where you can be who you want, and trade, fight, bounty hunt, piracy, all you want to, really.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 04:53:46 am by Turnsky »
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Privateer FTW !
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png