Author Topic: Volition's making a new game  (Read 2071 times)

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Volition's making a new game
It's called Agents of Mayhem, and I'm not sure what to think of it.

Official site

The first thing I thought of when I saw it was Overwatch, but it's actually a single-player sandbox game. And it appears to be extremely goofy. Not serious at all.

Re: Volition's making a new game
It's also a Saints Row spinoff!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I remember reading that the devs at :v: didn't want to quit making games in the ott-sandbox vein but that Saints Row had gone pretty much anywhere it could (it was around the release of Gat Out of Hell)... Looks like this what they stettled on
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
This owns. V has yet to make a bad game (I'll give SR1 and Red Faction Armageddon a pass because SR1 became SR2 and Armageddon was THQ ****ery) and I bet this will be lovingly written and fun as balls.

SR4 was one of the funniest, most compassionate games I've ever played. Just a friendly, goofy, self-indulgent celebration of the characters and the player all the way through.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
and now that I've slobbed volition knob I'll actually watch the trailer

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
This owns. V has yet to make a bad game (I'll give SR1 and Red Faction Armageddon a pass because SR1 became SR2 and Armageddon was THQ ****ery) and I bet this will be lovingly written and fun as balls.

SR4 was one of the funniest, most compassionate games I've ever played. Just a friendly, goofy, self-indulgent celebration of the characters and the player all the way through.
Red Faction II was pretty damn heinous, but everything else they've done is good ****, and this looks intriguing.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Though I haven't played every single  :v-old: game released. I generally see a level of personality from their stuff that isn't always in other games, even if what exactly makes up that personality has changed over the years.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Red Faction II was pretty damn heinous, but everything else they've done is good ****, and this looks intriguing.

Oh, that's true! I forgot about it. I talked to a V guy and he said "yeah I worked on the one nobody likes, Red Faction 2..."

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I didn't think Red Faction 2 was any worse than 1.  I also quite liked Armageddon.  It wasn't epic like Guerilla, but a good shooter with fun mechanics.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
There better be a FS3 reference in the game somewhere

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I also quite liked Armageddon.  It wasn't epic like Guerilla, but a good shooter with fun mechanics.
The plot was terrible, but I found the gameplay rather enjoyable myself.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I also quite liked Armageddon.  It wasn't epic like Guerilla, but a good shooter with fun mechanics.
The plot was terrible, but I found the gameplay rather enjoyable myself.

The Characters were terrible and unlikeable -- the plot as a whole hinged too much on knowing every single plot thread from Red Faction 1 and never quite got around to performing proper exposition, but other than that it is passable...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."