Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > Cross-Platform Development

FS2_Open Linux Mini Howto

<< < (59/59)

Darwood:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by taylor

I think that tigital is working on (or has already fixed) the HTL crash, something htl_vert related if I remember his e-mail correctly.  If that's what you are getting then I'll check with him and try and get a patch.

--- End quote ---

This is exactly the problem.  htl_vert is where it was crashing.

Fullscreen should work fine in debug mode, as long as you aren't using the -window cmdline option that is.  It should still default to fullscreen in debug mode but you can add "Fullscreen=1" to the ini file under the "[Defaults]" section for force it, even if -window is specified.

--- End quote ---

Interesting, I have "Fullscreen=1" in the ini file under "[Default]" (seems I don't have an s there hmmm) and that didn't affect anything.  I need to play with that some more.  At first I thought it might be my SDL but the icculus.org version does fullscreen fine and that was compiled against the same SDL.

The tress weren't merged so all of the CVS history didn't get carried over.  The OpenGL code is kind of a mix but has long since deviated from the icculus.org version.  If that's what you meant by "history" anyway.  If not let me know and I'll try again. :)

--- End quote ---

Yep that's what I mean.  So I can infer that the icculus.org code was merged (in one way or another) with the fs2_open code and that is the history?  So fs2_open is the current continuation of the icculus.org code?

taylor:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by Darwood
Yep that's what I mean.  So I can infer that the icculus.org code was merged (in one way or another) with the fs2_open code and that is the history?  So fs2_open is the current continuation of the icculus.org code?
--- End quote ---

It's more of a branch than a continuation.  The icculus.org version is just a straight port so it's made to work that way, being comparable feature wise to the Windows version.  It's setup to be as compatible as possible to the orignal as far as pilot files go and networking.  Stability is also a primary goal.  The Linux code is added in a way that it should still be capable of building a normal Freespace2 binary for Windows.  Everything is separated.  The icculus.org code is still being worked on but just to the point that it's better, faster, more stable, rather than adding cool new features.

The fs2_open version of the code has evolved to have more features, be faster and at some point be merged together.  The Linux code has been modified to work better with the Windows code rather than trying to keep it separate.  And by merged together I mean that there is talk of replacing some Windows specific parts with SDL/OpenAL on all platforms.  The new audio code is the first pitch at that since you can compile a Windows binary with OpenAL support now rather than the older Windows only sound code.  It's not 100% but is mainly just a test at this point.  Graphics and input using SDL will be next with a working Windows version probably in the next few days.  Whether the Windows version dumps the old code and goes the SDL/OpenAL route I don't know, but the option will be there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version