Author Topic: Coding and gameplay  (Read 6829 times)

Isn't it green when targeting a friendly?  Either way, first we need a way to actually turn it on/off.  We don't have that yet.
It turned green when you had a clear shot at whatever you targeted. I believe anyone that played learned not to always rely on the targeting computer but to "use the Force," because it wasn't entirely accurate. I only used it from long distance and if there was a risk of friendly fire.

I prefer X-wing's solution to the FS method. It required thinking, and under pressure, you might hesitate to take that shot if it means hitting a friendly should you miss. More realistic I think. I don't think they do, but do real HUDs have lead indicators? Is there going to be gun harmonization as well?

I loved the way missiles locked on though in FS. I know sometimes in the X-wing series, enemies could be spraying you while trying to get a lock at the same time, which I always felt was unfair.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 09:13:40 pm by EtherShock »

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy

I prefer X-wing's solution to the FS method. It required thinking, and under pressure, you might hesitate to take that shot if it means hitting a friendly should you miss. More realistic I think. I don't think they do, but do real HUDs have lead indicators?

From what I remember, modern jets don't have lead indicators quite like what we see in FS.  Instead of showing the lead for your target, it calculates the lead from your own trajectory and tells you where your shots are going to go.  This is aided by radar to get the right trajectory at the right distance and display that on the HUD.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I'm not a military pilot and it's been awhile since I played jet sims.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text

I prefer X-wing's solution to the FS method. It required thinking, and under pressure, you might hesitate to take that shot if it means hitting a friendly should you miss. More realistic I think. I don't think they do, but do real HUDs have lead indicators?

From what I remember, modern jets don't have lead indicators quite like what we see in FS.  Instead of showing the lead for your target, it calculates the lead from your own trajectory and tells you where your shots are going to go.  This is aided by radar to get the right trajectory at the right distance and display that on the HUD.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I'm not a military pilot and it's been awhile since I played jet sims.
i was also under the impression that it uses radar info from the target's relative velocity to adjust the sight such that you just have to put 'the thing on the thing'

It's called the PIP or pipper.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
It's called the PIP or pipper.
indeed, i was just remembering my starshatter booklet and its bit on aimer options: lead box or LCoS sight (pipper)