Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > Test Builds

SEXP Argument changes via mod.tbl

<< < (2/4) > >>

Tomo:
I think Goober means it ought to be a new SEXP that works the other way around, so existing missions that rely on the current functionality are unaffected.

I think "for-each-argument" is a better name than "for-argument", but either is good.

The E:
Existing missions are unaffected as long as this mod.tbl flag is not set. Methinks you have not understood the problem.

If you are setting this flag, it is assumed that you do so while being aware of the consequences.

MatthTheGeek:
I think Goober meant that he could use both functionalities in Scrolls, and hence that the mod.tbl setup is inconvenient.

Which brings us back to square 1 : what are you doing in Scrolls that requires the old way around.

Aardwolf:

--- Quote from: The E on January 30, 2012, 01:21:45 pm ---If you are setting this flag, it is assumed that you do so while being aware of the consequences.

--- End quote ---

Haha, no. Someone will want to play X mission with Y mods, they'll drop the X.fs2 file in the Y mod folder, and they'll create all kinds of havoc in the support board.

There should be two separate sexps: one that works the old way, and one that works the new way.

karajorma:
If you want two separate SEXPs I suggest you look at the code first and then refactor the entire SEXP argument code in order to allow it. Cause coding this at the SEXP level is not a trivial problem.

But this is not "an additional SEXP" This is making new versions of every single conditional SEXP from now on. Furthermore if you use one version of the conditional inside the other version, I have no idea what would happen. Probably a crash of some sort. The whole point of the mod.tbl entry is to avoid that kind of nonsense.

The FREDder decides at the start which version of the SEXPs he wants to use. It's basically a backwards compatibility thing to make sure the change doesn't break existing missions. Unreleased mods can go through and fix their missions to work correctly. New mods should always be setting that flag. Given that I still don't know why Scroll needs the old version it's hard to see why I should change things.

--- Quote from: Aardwolf on January 30, 2012, 04:57:46 pm ---Haha, no. Someone will want to play X mission with Y mods, they'll drop the X.fs2 file in the Y mod folder, and they'll create all kinds of havoc in the support board.
--- End quote ---

How is that any different to most situations where you drop a mission into a mod it's not supposed to be part of. If you're doing that, you're an idiot or you're clueless enough about how to install a mission that you're going to be a support nightmare anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version