Author Topic: FS2Open Oculus VR Test  (Read 31775 times)

Offline RandomTiger

FS2Open Oculus VR Test
Hi guys, here is a Oculus VR FS2 Open test I've been mucking around with.
I'm not sure if you have people already working on VR or not, I don't follow the forum these days.

I've hacked a Oculus 0.6 sample into the osapi system, set the camera to a free look position outside the player ship which now has basic AI orders. I've had to turn a bunch of stuff off that isn't working and have no plans to work on getting a HUD working. My idea as such wasn't to make FS2 VR but make an experience that uses the engine and levels.

To run it you will need a DK1 (tested) or DK2 (untested) and Oculus runtime 0.6 or higher installed.
You should also setup a default pilot under normal launch options if you dont already have one.

Run with the following flags:  -ovr -window -start_mission SM2-04.fs2 -no_unfocused_pause -nomotiondebris

If anyone has a go and finds any missions that are particularly fun to experience please let me know. Avoid fog missions.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:31:24 pm by RandomTiger »

Offline RandomTiger

Can a mod move this to 'Test Builds'. Thanks.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Re: FS2Open Oculus VR Test
Though I don't have an Oculus Rift VR headset, I'll try this build, and post here if I have any problems.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline RandomTiger

Thanks Bryan, hopefully even without a rift it will run in a window. Though if you dont have Oculus runtime I imagine it will fail or crash. I was going to post a new build with Oculus upgraded to 0.8 but I need to sort out some colour space issues.

Would be nice to have 3D passive screens support as well. There is lot of 3d TVs and some monitors. (I have both).  Was fun to play in ELITE DANGEROUS in 3d

Offline RandomTiger

Hey Familiar, I don't have a 3D TV or monitor so that's not something I'm going to be able to help with.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
I tested it, but it's WAY too older than the recent build. I suggest that you rebuild everything using the latest revision with your changes that allow Oculus VR support.

By the way, it looks fine even without the Oculus VR headset :)

EDIT: Without the -ovr command line it works, but with it, I think I missed out libOVR. When can I get it?

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline RandomTiger

Thanks Bryan, looks like the project has moved over to GIT and I guess the latest SVN is out of date. I will look into that.
Did you install the Oculus runtime? Here is a link, hopefully it doesn't require you to sign in:

https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/pc/0.8.0.0-beta/Oculus_Runtime_for_Windows/

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Thanks Bryan, looks like the project has moved over to GIT and I guess the latest SVN is out of date.
Much; here's a link to the GitHub repo in case you didn't find it already.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
RandomTiger, yeah guess you've been away a while, if you need any help with Git feel free to ask here on the forums or on IRC (links to web IRC at the top menu under HLP).  Pretty excited for this test build too.  Just gotta get a Rift now...
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Thanks Bryan, looks like the project has moved over to GIT and I guess the latest SVN is out of date. I will look into that.
Did you install the Oculus runtime? Here is a link, hopefully it doesn't require you to sign in:

https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/pc/0.8.0.0-beta/Oculus_Runtime_for_Windows/

Yes, I've already have. However, upon running FS2_Open with -ovr specified, I couldn't run it because I don't have an Oculus VR.

Thanks Bryan, looks like the project has moved over to GIT and I guess the latest SVN is out of date.
Much; here's a link to the GitHub repo in case you didn't find it already.

Thanks, I need that.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline RandomTiger

New build based of more recent GIT source code.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=91372.0;attach=24679

I have a new problem with the colours looking washed out, Oculus has changed its colour space.
Also the beams and lasers dont render unless you use the -no_glsl flag. Full flag list below.

-ovr -window -start_mission SM2-04.fs2 -no_unfocused_pause -nomotiondebris -no_glsl

Offline RandomTiger

I've upgraded the source code to Oculus SDK 1.3 but have no way to test it until my retail Oculus arrives.

Offline RandomTiger

Cant host exe's here any more they have gotten too big. So here is Oculus SDK1.3 version, this should work with retail Oculus kits. It works on mine.

You must install latest Oculus setup and you must allow 'unknown sources' in the settings or you will just see a white room.

https://github.com/RandomTiger/fs2open.github.com/blob/master/fs2_open_3_7_3-GIT-OVR1.3-VS2013-RELEASE.rar

run with:

-ovr -window -start_mission SM2-04.fs2 -no_unfocused_pause -nomotiondebris -no_glsl -nomovies -invulnerable -force_alpha_one_ai

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If you need a place to host binaries, as a senior SCP dev you could probably be granted access to our web server.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
EDIT: Thread hijack re: Occulus privacy concerns moved here.  <- If you have beef with Windows 10 about privacy, it behooves you to read this.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:42:28 pm by jr2 »

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I'm trying your build with my HTC Vive + ReVive + librairies from Occulus Home. However, when I launch the game, it tells me it doesn't found libOVR. Should I really need to get the Occulus SDK Runtime ?

Offline RandomTiger

So I thought you need Oculus Home installed to do this with any Oculus binary. Given that my binary doesnt work correctly on the Oculus yet (head tracking is wrong) I'm guessing the Revive hack isnt going to work any better and I cant get into a situation of offering support for that as Oculus and Revive seem to be in a patch war.

I have however sold my Oculus anyway and bought a Vive, I'm really interested in room scale experiences. I have put some initial work into getting a Vive version working but have run into hurdles even getting it rendering. I'm pretty busy at the moment and cant say when I will be able to take another shot at this, getting it working on SteamVR does seem like a good idea if that continues to  work on both Vive and Oculus and hopefully any new devices.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
That's cool if you plan to work on a Vive version. :)  it's too bad if we don't have VR on Freespace/Diaspora. ^^

Oh please please do finish this one day, having finally gotten my hands on a Rift I cannot imagine anything more spectacular than Freespace 2 in VR... and SteamVR would enable anyone with an HMD to play it.