Author Topic: Most hated shivan fighter/bomber  (Read 12288 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: Most hated shivan fighter/bomber
I hate the dragon. I can never fly it properly...though the AI is so good with it. Makes me feel incompetent.
I also hate the Seraphim. I can't hit stuff properly with it, though the AI has no problems.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Nephilim and Mara.

Yes the Seraphim is crazy durable and pretty well-armed, but if it tries to come after you the poor bastard's just not going to be able to hit a fighter-sized target. It's no threat to me. On the other hand, Nephilim given orders to attack the player...well they have seven damn guns in one bank, enough durablity to survive a head-on pass, and a slow enough closing speed that they can get off multiple missile shots before the merge. They'll smack you up pretty good.

And the Mara? Dragon with bigger teeth and less of an inconveniently timed afterburner fetish.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline eliex

Fighter - Manticore
Always hard to hit and sent en masse most of the time.

Bomber - Nahema
Powerful and can close in distance between targets very quickly. Unbelievably high afterburner max for a bomber; outflies my guns.

Offline Excalibur

• Forsee a new beginning.
Nephilim and Mara.

Yes the Seraphim is crazy durable and pretty well-armed, but if it tries to come after you the poor bastard's just not going to be able to hit a fighter-sized target. It's no threat to me. On the other hand, Nephilim given orders to attack the player...well they have seven damn guns in one bank, enough durablity to survive a head-on pass, and a slow enough closing speed that they can get off multiple missile shots before the merge. They'll smack you up pretty good.

And the Mara? Dragon with bigger teeth and less of an inconveniently timed afterburner fetish.

And an entire wing of Seraphim all attacking the player? I've had that happen plenty. Maras launch massive volleys of hornet#weak at you, but you can out turn most of them. But they are hard to hit when good and don't die...
His legacy will last until the beginning.

the Seraphim seems to have weaker armor and shielding at the front then any other areas, and it has a large target profile, making it easy prey with a Kayser or Lamprey-Maxim mega-combo.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
the Seraphim seems to have weaker armor and shielding at the front then any other areas, and it has a large target profile, making it easy prey with a Kayser or Lamprey-Maxim mega-combo.

The Seraphim has a hole in its frontal shielding.
That's offset by its 11 gun mounts. You don't really want to fly there. Even though most will miss, some will hit.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline eliex

The Seraphim shares the same Shivan design flaw with the Manticore - bolts that should have missed because they went in-between the Manticore prongs still affect the Seraphim or Manticore's frontal shield.

The Seraphim shares the same Shivan design flaw with the Manticore - bolts that should have missed because they went in-between the Manticore prongs still affect the Seraphim or Manticore's frontal shield.

I don't think that's really a flaw as an aesthetic point. Shields are kept typically round in Freespace. If not, they might look odd. Limit to the technology of the fighters perhaps.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Nahema's garbage. Dual Trebuchets take care of most of them. :p

It's the Nephilims and Seraphims that are a terror, because dual Trebuchets will not kill them.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Missiles always seemed like a waste to me on something as big as the Nephilim/Seraphim.  Sure, they're a tough nut to crack, but they're so poky that you can get over to them in a hurry and just park yourself behind them, hacking away at their rear shields/armor.  By virtue of being significantly smaller and faster, Nahemas usually prove much more tricky to take out before they can manage to get at least one bomb salvo off (and sometimes two, if you're particularly unlucky).

Then again, I tend to bring most of my missiles home with me at the end of a mission, so take that with a grain of salt. :p

Offline eliex

It's the Nephilims and Seraphims that are a terror, because dual Trebuchets will not kill them.

Luckily, a dual Treb occasionally disable a Seraphim, to be gunned down at leisure.

I'd vote for the Tauvri personally. It looks cool, and it's always packing Piranhas and it knows how to use them. Though, occasionally the Seraphim can be annoying, just because if you're fighting a wing of them, for whatever reason, their turrets pick you apart and at least one of them's got the full 11 gun salute poking you from behind.

Most hated fighter? Hmmn . . . . I'd say the Manticore. The Dragon is too rare to really make me hate it, in FS1 it can be annoying, but I'd rather fight a Dragon in FS1 than a HoL Thoth with Prometheus cannons. And while the Mara is cool, it's Hornets are fairly easy to avoid.

So, Tauvri & Manticore for me.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Did i confuse the Nahema and Nephilim earlier? Which one looks kinda like a sekhmet?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
The Nahema looks more like a Sekhmet.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I must have been right earlier on then ;) on reflection i'm not too keen on the taurvi. I never quite worked out what it's gtva equivalent was.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline eliex

The strange thing is that the majority of Shivan fighters and bombers are based on complete opposites of Shivan designs.

The fighters and very fast, hard to hit, but have extremely thin hulls.
The majority of the bombers excluding (Shaitan, and Nahema) have absolutely no afterburner, very thick shields and annoyingly strong hulls too.
It's like, "Their existence is a momentary distraction."

However, in FS2, the fighters and bombers become more similar -  prime examples, Mara and Aeshma.

Offline Excalibur

• Forsee a new beginning.
Ashemas have got to be one of the easiest Shivan fighters to kill...
His legacy will last until the beginning.

Offline eliex

Also it brings to point whether the Shivans are smart or not.
If all of the Aeshma squadrons were destroyed on their first mission with the GTVA then the Shivan Command should just scrap the Aeshmas and reassign the pilots to better fighters.

Then again, maybe only Alpha 1 can easily kill them when they are massed.

Also it brings to point whether the Shivans are smart or not.
If all of the Aeshma squadrons were destroyed on their first mission with the GTVA then the Shivan Command should just scrap the Aeshmas and reassign the pilots to better fighters.

Then again, maybe only Alpha 1 can easily kill them when they are massed.

The Aeshma's a heavy fighter, not a dogfighter. It's meant to take down ships, hence the description:

The SF Aeshma is a relatively rare, and only recently encountered, class of Shivan fighter. It appears to be a heavy attack fighter, like the Basilisk. With a low known top speed, Aeshmas seem to target slower-moving vessels, such as bombers, freighters, and gas miners. Their powerful lasers make them a danger to all such craft, so they must be engaged and destroyed as quickly as possible.

If Alpha 1's in a dogfighter of course he's going to blow the thing apart. Throw the player in a Boanerges and put a pack of Aeshma's on him and it might not be such a laughable fighter after all.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Libra 1 (flying SF Aeshma): (Flies up to Alpha 1 and goes "HAI! [aka. shoots]")
Libra 1      Destroyed     Kill: Alpha 1 (100%)

:drevil:

I dislike the Taurvis more than Nahemas. The thing is that the Nahema suffers from a huge target profile, while the Taurvi doesn't. If you tried hitting the Taurvi from front, rear or broadside, it's almost impossible.

I don't like Manticores very much either, but they're better than the Dragon because they don't usually outrun dual Interceptors/Harpoons.

Luckily, a dual Treb occasionally disable a Seraphim, to be gunned down at leisure.

It doesn't happen often, but I get that sometimes too. ;)

My wingmen usually kill all nearby Aeshmas before I can fire my guns. :rolleyes:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?