Author Topic: [RELEASE] Shadow Genesis: 2017 Edition  (Read 179275 times)

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
Re: The Shadow is coming... SHADOW GENESIS: RELEASE
Hi,

I just downloaded the campaign now, so not yet started.

I thought I would let you know that for some reason, the link in the 1st post to the "assets" is not working properly. It takes you to the download at Mediafire... but when you actually click "download" on the page it doesn't do it.

However, when you click on the link provided in the release thread on Sectorgame @ http://sectorgame.com/forums/the-shadow-is-coming-shadow-genesis-release-t4850.html it does work.

I hope this makes sense!
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
If you can get to Download button, this is caused by MediaFire server or something like this. There is always Complete Package on FreeSpaceMods.net. Remember about 1.1a patch :P
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline CT27

What's the name of the track that plays in the cinematic where Hiven blows up?  Is it available on iTunes?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Two Steps from Hell - The Ancients
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

We appreciate it and of course your help is welcome :). We will PM you when we start working on SG 1.2. As for the Ancient planet, which mission do You have in mind? The cutscene about the Nightmares?

The one in Andromeda when you're scanning Ancient ships for the first time and have to avoid Nightmare scouts. Its a really sad track.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
It's main theme from Constantine movie or one of the night ambients from Stalker: Call of Pripyat.

Any tips for the 10th mission where you try to get damaged GTD Hecate through a Cerberus blockade? I can destroy the 3 Mjolnirs and the Minerva jamming ship, but I really don't have enough time to deal with those Deimosses and other cruisers / corvettes. The Hecate jumps too early and there just isn't enough Angel missiles to deal with everything. I can order my wingmates to overwhelm one cruiser at a time, but that's too slow and Hecate gets destroyed meanwhile. And if I try to give multiple targets to wingmen, nothing gets destroyed. Hecate is absolutely defenseless. It has under 30 % hp when it enters and has no Frontal beams. Even if I somehow manage to take out the main beams of Deimosses, their other weapons are still enough to take Hecate down.

I mean, either this is the most brutal mission I have ever seen, or I'm doing something terribly wrong. BTW, I managed to destroy the Cerberus convoy (extra objective) in the last mission, but it doesn't really help here.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Destroy beam cannons! Whole Shadow Genesis is about destroying main beams of enemy ships :P. You can use my favorite tactics - order one wingman to destroy one beam. Each of Alpha and other, to other cannon. Use this as much, as U need in SG. You rather... Will need that.

Cerberus convoy may be needed to get access to extra missions at the end of campaign. Currently it's not working, because we are retards and screwed it up. It will be fixed in SG 2.0 along with difficulty level of this mission.

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
Thank you :)

Hi,

I'm an avid gamer for Freespace 2.

I've just downloaded your campaign "Shadow Genesis" through FreespaceMods and ran into an error in the first mission "Intro".

It says that FSO has stopped running and will find a solution to the problem. I'm unable to start the campaign because of this error.

I'm currently running on FSO v3.7.2, mediavps_3612 and Shadow Genesis v1.1

Can someone help me with this problem? Much appreciated if it can be done quick.
I'm a great collector of mods, 73 and counting! Ask me for the list.

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=86475.0

Use the new mediaVPs first, then try it.

Or even try using an older build with the old mediavps.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It says that FSO has stopped running and will find a solution to the problem.
Did it stop being responsive during loading, perhaps? Maybe right after you clicked the mouse?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=86475.0

Use the new mediaVPs first, then try it.

Or even try using an older build with the old mediavps.

Tried changing the mod.ini file from "mediavps_3612,Shadow Genesis;" to "mediavps_2014,Shadow Genesis;", but still no change.

Is there any other way to change it?

P.S. "mediavps_2014" was used from the BP2's mod.ini

Did it stop being responsive during loading, perhaps? Maybe right after you clicked the mouse?

Clicked the continue button [R], and I let the mission load. As soon as it finish loading, the game crashed.

Also tried a few other missions by Ctrl + Shift + S to to try a few random missions as a precaution.

Most of them I tried were working but the mission "Old Friends" I encounter another error, but is after the briefing part, after pressing Commit.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Tried changing the mod.ini file from "mediavps_3612,Shadow Genesis;" to "mediavps_2014,Shadow Genesis;", but still no change.

Is there any other way to change it?
Well, it should actually be "Shadow Genesis;mediavps_2014" and not the other way around. It shouldn't actually cause crashes, though. The odd thing is that you didn't get an actual error message.

Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Well, it should actually be "Shadow Genesis;mediavps_2014" and not the other way around. It shouldn't actually cause crashes, though. The odd thing is that you didn't get an actual error message.
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Attached is the .log file

When I started the game in FSO v3.7.2 debug mode, it gave me numerous warnings, majority to some missile gunship without turrets and a few warnings about Falcon fighters.

Game crashes when the same warning keeps appearing.

I hope the file above helps in finding out the error.

[attachment deleted by nobody]

Intel gpu?
Try "Disable GLSL (shader) Support" (-no_glsl)

Intel gpu?
Try "Disable GLSL (shader) Support" (-no_glsl)

Nope, even on debug mode, it still doesn't work.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
Do you have any other mods or campaigns that are being picked up from your root Freespace folder?

I've just had a look at your log and I don't recognise the multi-missionpack.vp and the mulit-missionvoicepack.vp! I think these could be interferring with the Shadow Genesis mod. However, I am not an expert on these matters so I could be wrong, but I would suggest to remove them from your root Freespace 2 folder then try to load the mod.

If this doesn't work, then perhaps try to create a new pilot if you haven't done so already!
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've just had a look at your log and I don't recognise the multi-missionpack.vp and the mulit-missionvoicepack.vp! I think these could be interferring with the Shadow Genesis mod. However, I am not an expert on these matters so I could be wrong, but I would suggest to remove them from your root Freespace 2 folder then try to load the mod.
To the best of my knowledge those simply include additional retail multiplayer missions and shouldn't interfere with any other mods in any way.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
To the best of my knowledge those simply include additional retail multiplayer missions and shouldn't interfere with any other mods in any way.
Yes, multi-missionpack.vp and multi-missionvoicepack.vp are :v:-original files and shouldn't be conflicting with the mod in any way (they're also supposed to be in the root FS2 folder, and I have them there with no problems running Shadow Genesis).

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so