Author Topic: RELEASE: Homesick, a 30+ mission campaign  (Read 131695 times)

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
RELEASE: Homesick, a 30+ mission campaign
Hi.

I've just finished two campaigns - one's a campaign for Inferno, 'cause I liked it so much - but the other's a FS2-Vanilla, unmodified campaign. Called Homesick.

Ahem:

2355! Terrans and Vasudans alike have begun to shrug off the horrors of the Great War of twenty years ago, and started rebuilding their lives and homes alike. While Vasuda Prime remains a charred, uninhabitable reminder of the power of the Shivans, and contact has yet to be re-established with Sol... nevertheless, the newly formed Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance hurls itself into the void with no fear...

Yet while the GTVA colonises and settles and organises the bright, new age of Reconstruction that has dawned on humanity, life for the average soul could not be more different. Their lives, unlike wheeling-and-dealing politicians or gung-ho GTVA pilots, consist of the drudgery of day-to-day work - yes, even for mercenaries, pilots-for-hire guarding traders from the ever-present threat of piracy.

You are one such mercenary, but your life certainly won't consist of boring daily routine...

37 missions! Original plot! Believable characters! Journey to the far reaches of known space - and beyond! And much, much more!

Anyway, spiel done, now here are some promotional pictures:

A caravan

A battle

A derelict

A firefight... a nebula firefight!

So... um... I would appreciate it if you all downloaded Homesick, had a look at it, and maybe gave me some feedback or something? You may also wish to try Sol: A History as well... alright, I'll shut up now...

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Wow...that's quite a way to get it going.

Now about the campaign: I'll have to play it first.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Hang on a sec. You've just finished a 37 mission campaign for FS2 along with a smaller campaign for inferno?

*crawls away to do some FREDding on his own campaign embarrased*
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
nice job -- way to enter the community with guns blazing :D

*pats on the back*
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
Since summer, mind you. Early summer. Actually quite a lot of time, just more condensed.

And my Inferno campaign is 40 missions.

nice job -- way to enter the community with guns blazing

*pats on the back*

Thanks!

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
[chant]Join TVWP[/chant] :D
The only thing keeping us back is the fact we have no ... active... FREDers. They are... lazy. *hides from Snipes*

Since I haven't played it yet, I won't make any assumptions. It just worries me that in your screenshots, 3 minutes into the game, important objects almost half destroyed, and you have no hull damage. Thats usually a sign that... its not very balanced :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Or that he's a good player :D

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
Originally posted by DragonClaw
The only thing keeping us back is the fact we have no ... active... FREDers. They are... lazy. *hides from Snipes*

Since I haven't played it yet, I won't make any assumptions. It just worries me that in your screenshots, 3 minutes into the game, important objects almost half destroyed, and you have no hull damage. Thats usually a sign that... its not very balanced :)

Possibly, I am so cool and fantastic, that I can beat any mission without taking damage at all. Dodging flak is a lot harder for a corvette. :)

Actually, that's really half-true. In that very mission, my retaining full hull strength is down to not following orders and charging into combat, pitched battle stylee. Creators are generally not the best testers. Though I would say that my other campaign is perhaps better balanced. Perhaps. 'Cause I did it after Homesick, and everything.

This is, of course, why I asked for feedback. As Frank Skinner says, "Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better."

Offline DragonClaw

Oh don't take me the wrong way. In no way am I attacking your skill or anything. One screenshot doesn't mean anything really, I was just... concerned :)

But even if they aren't perfectly balanced, I'm impressed. So many missions out of the same person in so short a time. Wow is all I can say. ;)

Now, if only Snipes could be more like you... ;7

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
In no way am I attacking your skill or anything.

You probably should, though. If there's any ammunition, and there probably is, use it. It's the only way I'll learn. Constructive criticism is the only path to self-improvement and, eventually, perfection.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Blaise Russel
This is, of course, why I asked for feedback. As Frank Skinner says, "Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better."

Surely you mean Frank Spencer :D

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
Originally posted by karajorma

Surely you mean Frank Spencer :D

I knew dat.

Offline Fractux

I've got to find time to play all of these... :) I still need to play all of the "classics".

Cheers!
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead

I could easily match that speed, only problem is -- our people are too lazy to reply to a certain thread. How about you start testing my zipfiles... ? :)

In any case, NONE of us can really start FREDding before that's done.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
erm.. 60+ missions?

Don't I feel lazy.. :blah:

*downloads
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Right. F**k 'im off. He's just making the entire rest of the community look bad. :p

*DLs*
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline DragonClaw

Originally posted by Lightspeed

I could easily match that speed, only problem is -- our people are too lazy to reply to a certain thread. How about you start testing my zipfiles... ? :)

In any case, NONE of us can really start FREDding before that's done.

Ah, but I didn't volunteer for, what is it? Balance testing? :p Besides, there's nothing to test it on, all we have is that training mission :lol:

Offline Culando

o_o Dare I say this is the biggest release this community has seen in a long while.

I like it when big stuff pops out of nowhere and suprises ya. :cool:  Not a long hard wait, just BAM, new stuff to play with.

And you did all this by yourself? I must say I'm impressed, but I'll have to play your campaign to get my opinion on your work.

Now to download this hopefull beauty. :D
The boy who cried project.

OK, I haven't finished it yet, but already I have a few complaints/suggestions...

You have a lot of well done mission chatter.  This is good, very good.  However, some messages go by just a tad too fast.  I'm sure you don't have any problems with it, but people like me who don't read nearly as quick would rather not have to constantly have to press F4 to catch the messages that just went by.  A way to help solve this would be to have the game play a sound whenever a message appears.  (emptymsg.wav works quite well.)  This would also help to attract the attention of the player to the messages during battle.

In Hmsk-B6.fs2 ("The Draft"), the GTC Shield's engine can be seen blazing away with all its glory.  I find it difficult to believe that the engine has been on for over thirty years.  Maybe you should have the Shield start out disabled, and then have the engine 'reactivated' by the recovery team.  Just a thought.

In Hmsk-C1.fs2 ("Return to Oz"), your red alert event executes prematurely.  I say this because the following happened to me:  The Custodian had just sent the message that it and the Shield were ready to depart.  However, I was already at the node and the red alert event triggered before the corvette and the cruiser departed.  Because of this, I was forced to repeat the mission.  I believe what you want is to have the red alert event trigger only after Alpha 1 has reached the node and the two ships have departed, not just when Alpha 1 reaches the node.

In Hmsk-C4.fs2 ("Ram Raid") the appearence of the 'Depart' directive is premature and misleading.  What happened to me is that I had just finished off the Dispatcher (the Tefnut having completed its task) and the Mammon arrived.  Then the message to retreat was sent by the Custodian (I think.)  The 'Depart' directive appeared and I hit my subspace drive.  Not only did no mission debriefing appear, but I was not allowed to moe on to the next mission.  I'm not sure what's wrong here (I haven't beat the mission yet, I need to do it again) but you should really change when 'Depart' appears.  As I mentioned before, it's quite misleading.

So far, I've enjoyed your campaign.  Personally, I think the flow of some of the first few missions might have been better achieved by using a long chain of red-alert linked missions instead of making pit stops in systems along the way.  But aside from that: hats off to you!  I've yet to download your Inferno campaign, but I'm looking forward to that as well.  I hope I've been of some service.

Offline adwight

• Neo-Terran
  • Go Gators!
I really like it so far, the chatter and character building is definately working for you .  I like that.  I also like the way that your portray the GTVA, all business, no screwing around, I like it.  I'm just getting a little bored with guarding this one convoy the whole time against the same numbers of fighters, its just getting a little old.  So when does it get better?
Neo-Terra Victorious

The Lightning Marshall

158th Banshee Squadron

Gay people are rejects who can't get girls. Period. -DragonClaw
Can I have sex with it yet? -KnightTemplar