Author Topic: PCS2 UI revamp -- Now looking for suggestions  (Read 40145 times)

Offline Kusanagi

• A man, a van, a plan, Vanama!
  • Enemy vessel captured
Re: PCS2 UI revamp -- Now looking for suggestions
I'd like to see a built in calculator either from a drop down window or in the subobject properties that will generate $uvec and $fvec values as some of them get reversed from what they should be. Perhaps entering the angle you want the turret to be at, and then it performs the sine/cosine functions or can take the information from a turret normal and build it off of that.
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum
primum daemon scelestus est.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Not really a UI thing, but in the Preferences, I would love (since ".\" is valid) for "..\maps" to be a valid path as well.

This would help immensely with being able to test models stored in a mod folder without having to explicitly path the dir.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Try ..\..
The paths are meant to point at the root freespace2 (or mod) directory. So ..\.. should look for maps in ..\maps.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Try ..\..
The paths are meant to point at the root freespace2 (or mod) directory. So ..\.. should look for maps in ..\maps.

Worked like a charm. Now I feel slightly stupid.

Oh, for the Transform box (at least for the scale portion), the following:

Being able to lock axis when dynamically scaling would be awesome.

Assuming proper model alignment on export, labeling 'X' as 'W', 'Y' as 'H' and 'Z' as 'D' might be awesome.

The ability to checkbox 2 Axis at a time, instead of just one, all or Custom. Additionally, the "custom" box could ideally be broken down into 3 input boxes to put with the axis it is responsible for. And a toggle that can switch it from the current FLOAT value mechanic (or maybe 3 checkboxes) where you have "Absolute" = Changes the dimension to the exact specified number" and "Relative" where it adds/subtracts absolutely from the existing dimension.

Something (maybe kinda/sorta) like this:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:53:22 am by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Could PCS2 save to POF instead of COB by default, like it used to?
Also, patch autogenerator got annoying to use in latest version, since it doesn't replace existing patches like it used to and completely ignores dockpoints.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Being able to lock axis when dynamically scaling would be awesome.
Suggestions for accomplishing this with the existing interface?

The ability to checkbox 2 Axis at a time, instead of just one, all or Custom. Additionally, the "custom" box could ideally be broken down into 3 input boxes to put with the axis it is responsible for. And a toggle that can switch it from the current FLOAT value mechanic (or maybe 3 checkboxes) where you have "Absolute" = Changes the dimension to the exact specified number" and "Relative" where it adds/subtracts absolutely from the existing dimension.
Doing multiple arbitrary axes isn't likely; the time saved would be fairly trivial.
Additive scaling and resizing to a fixed length are more plausible.

Could PCS2 save to POF instead of COB by default, like it used to?
It defaults to saving to whichever file was opened.

Also, patch autogenerator got annoying to use in latest version, since it doesn't replace existing patches like it used to and completely ignores dockpoints.
It doesn't replace paths because some people like to keep existing paths. Dockpoints only have paths generated for them if they don't already have paths assigned to them. Removing paths should behave correctly with dockpoints now.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
OK, I'll try a new version (seems like it's been updated since my last download) and try it.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
The ability to totally disable the render window.  On really big models you have to wait 10-20 seconds between operations every time you make a field change.

The ability to type in the info instead of being required to use the pull downs.  Right no it will let you type in the info but then changes it to detail0.

Oh and still really need the global import to parent turrets by name not object number.  Redoing 100+ turrets every time because they parent to the wrong object is really a pain especially with that big delay between operations. 

Adding a small bug to this.  If you are doing turrets and you save the last barrel you did gets set back to detail0 unless you select another turret before the save.

Bug #2 if you hit the close button while the model is loading you get an unhanded exception. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:23:55 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
New PCS2 still defaults to COB for me, every time I try saving something (it's set to "all supported formats" in the save window, but saves to COB).
It's really annoying.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Strange mine seems to do the same with .dae.  Also it defaults to the wrong directory for saving now.  Instead of saving to the previous save directory it defaults to the current directory.  Pain in the butt when your converting and need to change drive and directory every time.  The source directory changes with every model but the save directory rarely does.  Same with global import.  Defaults to where the .dae file was opened instead of the last pof save folder. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I thought we were going to default to PMF, so forgetting to set the format wouldn't lead to a loss of any data from conversion?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
IMHO, it was good the way it once was. No need to change that, since the most common use for PCS2 is editing POFs, so defaulting to POF would mean you don't have to chose a format 90% of times you want to save something with PCS2 (the value may be different for some model converters, but for many people it'd be 99% of times).

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
The ability to totally disable the render window.  On really big models you have to wait 10-20 seconds between operations every time you make a field change.
I believe that's actually the all the fields redrawing (flickering) or something.

Bug #2 if you hit the close button while the model is loading you get an unhanded exception. 
Don't do that, or ignore it.

I thought we were going to default to PMF, so forgetting to set the format wouldn't lead to a loss of any data from conversion?
Discussions were inconclusive.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Discussions were inconclusive.
Default to the most usefull format, unless PMF is made usable by FSO (which I doubt), it's useless for anything but storing data, while POF is what most people will be using PCS2 to save to.
Right now, it seems to save either to COB or to a random format depending on user. Which is a bad thing.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
POF has issues with dropping polygons.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I know, but that's during conversion.
Most people use PCS2 to edit POFs, there are far less converters than people who can do basic POF work.
Converters may want to change format they're saving the model in, but they can do it using menu (and sooner or later, the model will have to be converted to POF anyway).

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
PMF is not useless.  It is the native format of PCS2, and anything saved in it loses no data.  It's essentially a dump of what is in memory when you have a model open.  It's the most reliable format for a model in progress in PCS2.  It's like a .psd or a .xcf or a .doc.  Most apps default to their native format for a save, don't see why PCS2 should be any different.  Obviously Photoshop doesn't default to saving as a jpeg, because anything other than the native format is technically an export, not a save.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
What about a checkbox in "preferences" window?
PMF is in most cases useless to me, since it doesn't allow testing anything in game. When I edit a POF, I adjust whatever I want and save to POF to test to see if it gave the desired effect. The only time I used it was when backing up glowpoints for an unrealiable model to prevent loss of my work in case of a crash during saving.
Since I see no reason to use PCS2 other than add data used in game by FS2 (it's meant to do just that, afterall), I don't know why to use it to save anything to a format which can't be opened neither by modelling programs, nor by FS2.
PCS2 is a special case, since it's a program used to put models into game. Photoshop is a program used for creating 2D images in general, so it's own format is the best one, since images can be viewed regardless of their format, and being viewed is their primary purpose. The primary purpose of the models created by PCS2 is for them to be used in FS, POF format is needed for them.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I think you're trying to make them seem more different than they really are.  Many people use Photoshop primarily to edit camera images and put them on a website, etc.  Many people may not actually need to make a POF in PCS2, rather perform some edits and send it back to someone else to work on.  Ideally, we would have Save as only containing PMF, and Export would contain other non-native formats.  As common as exporting to POF will be, it's still a format that is capable of losing information, and therefore work.  The very notion of calling it a 'save' usually implies you're not going to lose anything, whereas people are more accustomed to an export having that possibility.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If a model can be gotten into PCS2, it should be ready to just add POF data and put it in game. What else can you do using PCS2 than adding POF data?
Photoshop is used for website pics by "many" of it's users, but not "almost all save a couple of modellers and converters". Also, Photoshop's functionality can be used for numerous other things, while PCS2 doesn't have functions that could be usefull for anything but putting models into game. What edits can you do in PCS2 that are not related to how the model works in game? If somebody wants to be sure he doesn't lose his work, then he can save to PMF. But default option should still be POF, because it's still the most commonly used one.