Author Topic: Hardware recommendation for current FSO/MVPs?  (Read 759 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Hardware recommendation for current FSO/MVPs?
Hi everyone,

You might not be aware but I moved last year. That caused some considerable downsizing/decluttering and one item that didn't make the cut was my gaming/modding PC.

Now I am looking to buy new - preferably/more practicably not a stationary PC but a laptop.

As I don't keep up with developments of the MVPs and FSO nearly as closely as I maybe should, I would be grateful for some pointers and recommendations witv FSO modding in mind... What specs to aim for, any specific line of GPUs to avoid etc etc pp.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 02:05:22 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline CT27

Re: Hardware recommendation for current FSO/MVPs?
Something I've heard a number of times is that when it comes to PCs:  you can use either Intel or Ryzen.  However...I've also heard that when it comes to graphics cards, NVIDIA works a little better for playing FS stuff than AMD cards.

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
AMD might have a slightly worse track record, but Nvidia drivers did recently break our dynamic lighting with a driver update and it took us about six months to find a way to fix it. Nvidia has not yet fixed that to my knowledge, we just had to work around it. So neither company is without sin.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Runs fine on my 1660ti.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png