Author Topic: I'm Making Another 3D Space Shooter  (Read 7549 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Re: I'm Making Another 3D Space Shooter
New Screenshot:

Flying in 3rd person with the new 3rd-person reticle system and with the new 3d engine glows (afterburners are on, that is why they are yellow).

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Gaaa!!  Another person corrupted by Einstein!!  :mad:  :lol:

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

long live yellow burners!
teal sucks.

nice job btw.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Yellow burners are more like retail FS1/2, which is what I "grew up with" and therefore what I used in this.

Since every few times I run Windoze on my laptop it kills the bootloader and I have to reinstall it from a boot CD, I'm going to be using Linux a lot more. Therefore, unles I can find someone to compile it for Windoze for me/y'all, releases will become far less frequent.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Looks cool. For the sake of research though why did you choose to make your own FS2 Style engine rather than working on FS2_Open? :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
wut?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

long live yellow burners!
teal sucks.

nice job btw.

No, I actually believe that the burner / normal glows on Einsteins should be flipped.  Normal engine = reddish orange / yellow, AB = blue.  See these four or five posts for my explaination (with pics).

Looks cool. For the sake of research though why did you choose to make your own FS2 Style engine rather than working on FS2_Open? :)

Something I've been wondering for awhile... :confused:

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Well, I guess it's partly because I'm not too great at understanding other people's code... even heavily commented. In theory, I suppose I might be able to learn more interesting/useful stuff if I work with the fs2_open engine, but for the time being, I'm going to wait to do that.

Another big thing is that this game takes place in four distinct areas of combat (in theory there could be more, as the areas are defined in a variable-sized data structure). The only interaction between these areas is when a ship jumps from one to another. Doing this in the FreeSpace engine would require a ton of work, and I think that work would have the end result of making my code unupdatable (that is, future changes to the engine could not be merged into my code, or vice-versa).

In effect, you would need to create a new object type (equivalent to my game's StarSystem class), containing all of the lists/arrays/vectors/whatnot that store ships, explosions, weapons, nebulas, backgrounds, beams, shots, missiles, etc.! Sure, some variables are global, but a lot have to be local to the StarSystem, and some have to be movable between them (ships, in particular).

On a sadder note,
I'm having trouble getting OpenGL to run right on Linux. Apparently, everything is dependent on Mesa, a software implementation of OpenGL. There is something called DRI, which uses hardware rendering, but I can't seem to enable it because I can never tell where stuff gets installed on Linux. So, until I get hardware rendering to work, there will be almost no advances in the code.

Also, future releases may require SDL to run, as that is what I have been using in Linux and I frankly think some of its built-in features trump some of those in Windoze (although it lacks some stuff that would be quite useful). For example, it is very easy to code joystick support in SDL (something Nuke has requested that I do when I get the chance, but that I was refusing on the grounds of my not having a joystick with which to test it).

Edit:

I was wondering, though, how does FS1/FS2 do the 3d engine glows (retail, where they had 3d engine glows (i miss them oh-so-much))? Did they not scale slightly as the ship's velocity changed? Or was it that the uv-mapping of the flames scaled instead?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 02:25:57 am by Aardwolf »

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
:necro:

I'm thinking about giving this game new life, with some help. The TODO list is likely going to get scrapped if I do, but with any luck it will eventually have stuff like sound, multiplayer, warships, menus, more interesting planetoids, etc.