Author Topic: Shivan Manifesto  (Read 20740 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
NB: still want criticism of the SM?

I guess not. The point of the article I wrote was to give a brief overview of what the Manifesto was, to introduce it to someone in as neutral a context as possible, the criticism you wrote would effectively turn it into a debate and edit war.

As for the manifesto being in the wiki why don't we just take a poll on the matter and go with what the majority want? I don't think it should go in just cause WMC put it in otherwise we've set the dangerous precident that any discussion on the wiki can simply be preempted by someone just editing it to add what they wanted.

Really, I think the original poster should've added the article himself, and then if/when problems cropped up we could've dealt with it then. As it is, a lot of the discussion in the thread has been about what people might think as a result of it.

I don't want to start such a precedent for disregarding community opinion so, please, start a poll, but please also link to the page so that people can see what they're voting to keep or not.
-C

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I was pretty much intending to keep the poll in this forum and not link to this thread on the grounds that if you don't pay attention to this forum you really don't have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to deciding the fate of the wiki :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline WMCoolmon

Er, I meant the wiki page, not the thread page. I think anyone who really reads this forum will know that the poll is related to this forum...
-C

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well I'm off to bed soonish. I'll see if anyopne disagrees with taking a simple majority vote and if no one does I'll set things up tomorrow morning.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
NB: still want criticism of the SM?

I guess not. The point of the article I wrote was to give a brief overview of what the Manifesto was, to introduce it to someone in as neutral a context as possible, the criticism you wrote would effectively turn it into a debate and edit war.

Well, put it (criticism) in as neutral a tone as possible, but if you don't place the criticism in there then you're failing to provide any reason to keep it as reference; the SM only has a value as a factually based hypothesis if its potential faults are pointed out and provided.  If we are to present it in the context that it is in, as a non-canonical reference theory, then we must surely also justify that context by explaining the faults or criticisms of the theory.  Otherwise there is a very real risk of people turning up, reading it, and assuming it is all the most logical theory simply because there are neither alternatives nor the detailed criticism (as the theory itself is a huge document, and with it carries the risk of assuming size=correctness) presented.  As it is, the current line about 'controversy' doesn't imply the validity or basis of that; making it very easy to assume it's just because it's not direct from Volition or somesuch.

Offline knn

I've read the criticism and some points there are incorrect and unfair. E. g. the one about assuming Shivan engines don't damage subspace: the SM doesn't rule out that possibility. :v: said this game is about sacrifice, well, the Shivans have to sacrifice stg. too to save the whole, they damage subspace a little (but they try to keep this down and end the war as quickly as possible, hence the "strategy" of destroying homeworlds first, dealing a decisive blow to the enemy), but they do this to prevent further damage which would be much more catastrophic.
Also:
- Assumes that the Capellan supernova does not damage subspace but all other novas would, as an explanation of why Capella was 'chosen'.
I think that may refer to a previous version of the manifesto, because there's a different explanation in the final version (no other star big enough). If we're going to put in criticism, at least lets check if it's valid first.

BTW I agree with the criticism regarding Bosch, the SM gives him too little significance. There is room for improvement, but some of the ideas there I like. Shivans being energy beings e.g., and it is not stupid (coughVorlonscough).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 10:13:40 pm by knn »
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline WMCoolmon

The SM has value in that people will know what the Shivan Manifesto is when someone brings it up in a discussion on the Shivans. We don't have to justify anything because the theory is made by someone other than :V: , and has not been approved by :V:, ergo it is non-canon. People are responsible for what they want to believe; the wiki is meant to be a source of information, not a belief system.

As you've shown, someone can come up with a ridiculous amount of criticism to spam the wikipedia page with, starting a debate over which points are valid or not, which points belong in the wiki, etc etc. Keeping that criticism off the page doesn't interfere with the purpose of the page, which is to inform the reader what the Shivan Manifesto is - not prove or disprove it.

We've already had people treating Inferno and the Shivan Manifesto as canon on the wikipedia Freespace entry, so I don't think that they need a wiki entry to legitimize either, rather, it seems better to have a page to point out that it is *not* canon and *not* accepted by the Freespace community at large to set things straight right off the bat.
-C

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I've read the criticism and some points there are incorrect and unfair. E. g. the one about assuming Shivan engines don't damage subspace: the SM doesn't rule out that possibility. :v: said this game is about sacrifice, well, the Shivans have to sacrifice stg. too to save the whole, they damage subspace a little (but they try to keep this down and end the war as quickly as possible, hence the "strategy" of destroying homeworlds first, dealing a decisive blow to the enemy), but they do this to prevent further damage which would be much more catastrophic.
Also:
- Assumes that the Capellan supernova does not damage subspace but all other novas would, as an explanation of why Capella was 'chosen'.
I think that may refer to a previous version of the manifesto, because there's a different explanation in the final version (no other star big enough). If we're going to put in criticism, at least lets check if it's valid first.

BTW I agree with the criticism regarding Bosch, the SM gives him too little significance. There is room for improvement, but some of the ideas there I like. Shivans being energy beings e.g., and it is not stupid (coughVorlonscough).

That's fine  - but you can't really edit in criticism of criticism in the wiki entry, can you?  Which is why this should be kept in the forums.

What WMC has said, of course, is that we can post any old tat on the wiki with a 'non-canon' tag - but no-one is allowed to provide the actual criticism of it.  So we could happily put the Capellan BBQ entry in there, with the same 'controversy' line.  Again, I'd point out that drawing false conclusions (as the SM does - the stuff relating to ETAK strikes me as pretty bad in that way) can make that interpretation of the evidence be accepted as logical fact, simply by failure to provide alternatives.  There's several parts, IIRC, in the SM that mention 'possible alternatives' or 'conclusions' when they are actually neither. 

And how in the name of **** is that a 'ridiculous' amount of criticism?  Because it's long?  Then the SM is similarly ridiculous because of its length too, isn't it?  Did you consider it's because there's a lot to criticise, why is exactly why the current entry at the very least needs edited?

And what happens when we have other peoples entries hacked into the wiki?  Do we repeat this process, trying to weed out the ones that are bollocks?  Or do we do as you suggest for the SM, and let people draw unsupported conclusions and let the reader try to decide (or, vastly more likely, assume that everything there is factually accurate)?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I've altered the article somewhat - that might be more acceptable.

I think its important to remember that the article, in this case, is about the theory, it is not the theory reproduced on the wiki. If the Article was called "The Shivan Manifesto" and then just had the text of the theory, that would be a problem. I think its better this way - the page has both support and criticisms of the manifesto, and liks to detailed versions of both.

Both articles need to be improved considerably, though.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline knn

Also:

BTW I agree with the criticism regarding Bosch, the SM gives him too litle significance. There is room for improvement, but some of the ideas there I like. Shivans being energy beings e.g., and it is not stupid (coughVorlonscough).

That's fine  - but you can't really edit in criticism of criticism in the wiki entry, can you?  Which is why this should be kept in the forums.

What WMC has said, of course, is that we can post any old tat on the wiki with a 'non-canon' tag - but no-one is allowed to provide the actual criticism of it.  So we could happily put the Capellan BBQ entry in there, with the same 'controversy' line.  Again, I'd point out that drawing false conclusions (as the SM does - the stuff relating to ETAK strikes me as pretty bad in that way) can make that interpretation of the evidence be accepted as logical fact, simply by failure to provide alternatives.  There's several parts, IIRC, in the SM that mention 'possible alternatives' or 'conclusions' when they are actually neither. 

And how in the name of **** is that a 'ridiculous' amount of criticism?  Because it's long?  Then the SM is similarly ridiculous because of its length too, isn't it?  Did you consider it's because there's a lot to criticise, why is exactly why the current entry at the very least needs edited?

And what happens when we have other peoples entries hacked into the wiki?  Do we repeat this process, trying to weed out the ones that are bollocks?  Or do we do as you suggest for the SM, and let people draw unsupported conclusions and let the reader try to decide (or, vastly more likely, assume that everything there is factually accurate)?

From the other topic:
EDIT; and also, it strikes me that any criticism added in to balance out these articles will be removed as 'unfair' or somesuch, especially if said article has massive holes and hence lots of criticism.

I did not say remove ALL the criticism as unfair. There is ONE point there wich MUST be removed if the thing stays in the wiki ("Assumes that the Capellan supernova does not damage subspace but all other novas would, as an explanation of why Capella was 'chosen'."), simply because it is not true. If you don't want to decrease the amount of criticism, you could add another point instead, like "Assumes that Capella was the only suitable star for the nova, but we do not know how many systems the Shivans had access to beyond the nebula, and if those systems had no suitable star". The wordcount for the criticism would even increase.

The other one ("Assumes all subspace travel is harmful, except Shivan. This is despite failing to define exactly what is special about Shivan subspace travel, beyond it's creator. Nor does it explain why the Shivans would not offer 'safe' travel to other races; especially given an implication they have the best subspace engines (technically, n-dimension oscillation devices to facilitate entry to subspace apertures)"):
I've already stated what my problem with that one is. I didn't say remove it, just add in the fact that the SM also supports the idea that even the Shivans damage subspace.

There, that's two. Out of much more. And only IF it does stay in the wiki. I'm sure someone else will eventually read both the SM and the criticism page and point out these errors (if it does stay). As for the rest of the criticism page, lock it. If someone brings up a valid point to criticise the manifesto in the forum (there is a bigger chance of that happening if it does stay in the wiki), include it.
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline WMCoolmon

No, I didn't. Read my bold text.

It's a ridiculous amount of criticism because it's written to be as long as possible to look impressive. :rolleyes: It's also 3 pages of criticism compared to 2 paragraphs of summary. If that is an 'acceptable' amount of criticism then we're opening the wiki up to a sort of filibuster mentality, where any article can be spammed as long as it's criticism.

I think its important to remember that the article, in this case, is about the theory, it is not the theory reproduced on the wiki. If the Article was called "The Shivan Manifesto" and then just had the text of the theory, that would be a problem. I think its better this way - the page has both support and criticisms of the manifesto, and liks to detailed versions of both.

Actually the page does not have support for the Manifesto, nor does it link to a detailed version of support for the Manifesto. Which is why I'm very wary of adding 'criticism', because someone can now argue that because there's a criticism of the Manifesto, there also needs to be support for the Manifesto, and we have to add another page.
-C

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
@WMC
So it's now ridiculous for me to write a line-by-line criticsm because it's long?  I take it then we're going for the option that the amount of criticism reflected in the wikipedia is inverse to the actual criticism?  It's long because there's a ****load of holes in it; this applies to any theory, because we have only a small amount of evidence from the games.  And the SM itself is a big arguement 'for' itself anyways, so the page is linking to a big PDF 'support' document - the whole point of a theory is to support itself.

I gave you a list of my criticisms, the things I felt which acted against it's validity for inclusion (in particular), so don't get petty because it's large.   Hell, if I stretched it into summary it would be twice that length; I had to work bloody hard to cut it into bullet points and try to cut down on (in particular) referencing alternate theories.  I'm quite frankly insulted that you're insinuating I padded it out to look big and impressive.  In any case, you're the one who opened up the 'filibuster mentality' by citing the length of the SM as a reason for supporting its addition above other theories.

@knn; I didn't want to go over this before, and I can't be arsed reading over the SM again. In any case did not format that critcism for wiki use (nor research it as much I would have done in that case; otherwise it'd be full of links and quotes, etc), and I didn't phrase it for such.  I spent ages going through that document (as quickly as possible), so I wouldn't be surprised if there were errors, as I was noting things on a section-by-section basis.  But I'd accept you'd still find a number of significant failings in the SM in any case; at which point we have the again edit issue, and why these things are better for forum discussion.  The wiki is essentially a dictatorial system where one person after another decides what is right and wrong; not ideal for what is essentially a discussion topic.  Frankly, I found the SM increasingly bizarre and messy towards the end section, as it jumbled up the concept of retreating with creating a jump to a strange physical installation for escape, to a concept of it being impossible to reach this, and just all kinds of stuff I find nonsensical.  Imaginative, but nonsensical.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Actually the page does not have support for the Manifesto, nor does it link to a detailed version of support for the Manifesto. Which is why I'm very wary of adding 'criticism', because someone can now argue that because there's a criticism of the Manifesto, there also needs to be support for the Manifesto, and we have to add another page.

The page links to the entire text of the Manifesto. On a thirty page document, there has to be internal support. Moreover, if you wish to change the support, section on the main page, go for it. But the valid criticisms (and I didn't go through and confirm every single one was a valid criticism - I copied and pasted Aldo's ones from here- as a wiki, I figured that the bad crits will get ditched and the good ones kept) should be kept on. If they can be answered, then get rid of them.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline knn

Forgive my attitude in my previous post, I just got pissed over what you wrote in the other topic. If you want to create a comprehensive criticism for the wiki, I'd be happy to help, at least by reading over the SM and pointing out the incorrect points :)
OT, I would like to make a campaign one day in the distant future, and in that case I'd like to borrow some of the ideas from the SM (but there'd be a lot of difference)

And what BW said, except I still don't think the criticism page should be editable for everyone, because that would probably start an edit war. Instead, after discussion about the criticism in the forum, an admin with write access to the article should edit the article. Or something like the contribution system in the Wikipedia, where only registered users can edit the wiki, unregistered users can submit a change which has to be approved by an admin

Offline WMCoolmon

@WMC
So it's now ridiculous for me to write a line-by-line criticsm because it's long?  I take it then we're going for the option that the amount of criticism reflected in the wikipedia is inverse to the actual criticism?  It's long because there's a ****load of holes in it; this applies to any theory, because we have only a small amount of evidence from the games.  And the SM itself is a big arguement 'for' itself anyways, so the page is linking to a big PDF 'support' document - the whole point of a theory is to support itself.

Right, but the document isn't about whether or not the Manifesto is or is not a reasonable theory - just that it exists, and is relatively well-known in the community, and so is something that you'd expect to find with the other things like "FS lingo".

I gave you a list of my criticisms, the things I felt which acted against it's validity for inclusion (in particular), so don't get petty because it's large.   Hell, if I stretched it into summary it would be twice that length; I had to work bloody hard to cut it into bullet points and try to cut down on (in particular) referencing alternate theories.  I'm quite frankly insulted that you're insinuating I padded it out to look big and impressive.  In any case, you're the one who opened up the 'filibuster mentality' by citing the length of the SM as a reason for supporting its addition above other theories.

:lol: Insinuating? I bluntly stated it in my post. However you may be right - I could probably make it even longer without actually adding any content. So it isn't "as long as possible".

Still, you have criticisms like this:
- Subspace damage being incurred by travel is, of course, a complete guess.  As is - more importantly - that the Shivans have drives that do not damage subspace, and yet the GTVA has not identified what would surely be fundamental differences as a result of their study of captured Shivan vessels.
- Virtually all of the subspace damage/repair physics is assumed guesswork.

Where the latter makes the former redundant. Also, ones like this:
- The Shivans do not disregard planets entirely; they have destroyed at least 3 (Altair, the Ancients homeworld, Vasuda Prime).  Also, they do not disregard technology; for example, they attacked the convoys carrying shield prototypes in FS1 (alongside other examples).

Where you yourself make an assumption on the Shivans without factual evidence (That the Shivans attacked the convoys because they were carrying technology).

Other ones like this:
- By this stage of the Manifesto, there is no consideration of Bosch - one of the most important characters of the game storyline, who provides much of the exposition - is ignored, largely because some of his statements would contradict the Manifestos assumptions.

Where you assume that in-game supposition by characters is canon. (Although if you're making reference to some point where the Manifesto states that Bosch is acting out of greed or somesuch, ie where conclusions about the character are made, I would give you this point. Even then this criticism is misleading as most of your assumption points have nothing to do with Bosch.)

There's also this gem:
- Assumes all subspace travel is harmful, except Shivan.  This is despite failing to define exactly what is special about Shivan subspace travel, beyond it's creator.  Nor does it explain why the Shivans would not offer 'safe' travel to other races; especially given an implication they have the best subspace engines (technically, n-dimension oscillation devices to facilitate entry to subspace apertures)
Where not only is it mostly incorrect about the Manifesto, but the Manifesto specifically talks about this in (IIRC) two different places; it states that Shivan subspace travel may be viewed as a 'necessary evil' even if it is harmful, and points to a repeated breakdown in communication with races as why they don't offer safe travel to other races. The Manifesto also points out that the Shivans live (in some form) in subspace, and so would be better positioned to test for such damage as they would be more accustomed to the environment. Of course, assuming the guess that subspace is damaged by subspace travel, the GTVA obviously does not consider it a very critical issue or doesn't know about it as there is never any mention of it any game, meaning reduced interest in development of 'cleaner' drives.

Many of the others are simply pointing out that the Shivan Manifesto made an assumption here or there, which isn't incorrect, but is sort of a natural consequence of making guesses about anything outside the FS timeline.

Length of SM as a reason? Absolutely. It provides reasons for its conclusions. Above all others? Obviously not reading my bold text. I haven't argued against including other 'theories' in the wiki beyond those that are meant as jokes (Capellan BBQ) and those that aren't really supported by anybody and thus aren't really as meaningful to the community. I think that this is because many of those theories haven't gone to the length to put them in as cohesive named form as the Manifesto, but I can't really do much about it, especially since I haven't seen any of those theories mentioned. :wtf:

At this point all I could do would be to come up with a 'Shivan theories' and add some of the common guesses in there (ie the nebula was a star that the Shivans made supernova, or that Bosch saved the GTVA in exchange for Capella, or somesuch.) Of course if I did that, then I would be disregarding this discussion and the poll...and to be honest I'd rather not make the page because I don't know that many theories off the top of my head.

The page links to the entire text of the Manifesto. On a thirty page document, there has to be internal support. Moreover, if you wish to change the support, section on the main page, go for it. But the valid criticisms (and I didn't go through and confirm every single one was a valid criticism - I copied and pasted Aldo's ones from here- as a wiki, I figured that the bad crits will get ditched and the good ones kept) should be kept on. If they can be answered, then get rid of them.

Right, obviously, but the criticism is not part of the document. Some criticism makes sense, to point out major problems with the theory being accepted in any kind of official sense. However adding on an extensive point-by-point discussion has no place in the wiki - because (As pointed out) it's a reference document, not a forum. For example, Derelict - almost anybody who's gotten involved in the FS community knows it and has played it, but it doesn't really make sense to add people's opinions on it because they arent part of the campaign itself. (and generally drastically less important to the community or a discussion on it)

Edit: If we're going with an Encyclopedia Britannica idea, I doubt you'd find the actual criticisms on how Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar" was unrealistic and fictitious, along with citations for specific archaeological evidence and Roman writings of the time, pointing out flaws with the characters, setting, and plot. However there would probably be some indication that the play itself is fictitious, and thus makes a number of assumptions that have either been disproved or cannot be proven.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 03:56:22 pm by WMCoolmon »
-C

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Well, no, but Romeo and Juliet isn't ghenerally considered to be a historically accurate document. Where Britannica documents both Fiction and Fact, the FS Wiki is concerned with documenting fiction - we have to distinctly separate the fiction fact, if you will, from the fiction that doesn't belong. If that means a list of crits, then that's what it taskes. Keep in mind that those criticisms can be edited by anyone...
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Mav

Haven't read the whole thread, but why not make a wiki-page called somthing like "theories on shivans" or "theories about the FS universe" and let people add in LINKS to forum-topics and eventually also mod pages; with one to five lines for describing each link. Also maybe somehow group liks that belong together, for example put a link to this thread right above the link to the Shivan Manifesto. :)
And OF COURSE state at the top of this links page that those teories are entirely non-canon. ;)
That way people would have a place where to look for theories instead of browsing through the whole (quite large) forums and it would be pointed out that those theories are non-canon. If need be, make a "non-canon" tag to each link...  :D

And as for me, I don't like most of the points of the Shivan Manifesto, too. One thread I'd like to be linked (if that is whats going to be done) is this one: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,37231.75.html
That's just my vote, so to say, and isn't too tightly correlated with the first part of this post.
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
-----------------------------------
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I think you need to read the non-canon in the wiki thread to see what the objection was.

Although links to the forum is a huge improvement on entries.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
My opinion was that there should be a forum link; it provides the perfect medium for actually dissecting a document, and it's also, shockingly enough, what the Gen FS forum is for.

Offline Kie99

A significant portion of the original Manifesto is cut off by the new forum software.  Also, the thread is locked.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 07:35:06 pm by kietotheworld »
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"