Author Topic: Attention to Detail  (Read 2608 times)

Attention to Detail
First off I like to congratulate the Saga crew for a SPECTACULAR job on making this game, brings back a LOT of memories from back in the day when I first played WC3 when it came out.

However I have a couple question I want to ask.

First off, the guns

I noticed for every individual gun type, they fire in pairs, and I remember in the original WC3, they fire in a staggered pattern with a MUCH faster rate of fire. My question is are the guns going to be link in "duel" fire always? or are you going to have a "stagger" fire option so our fire rate is going to be similar to that of WC3?

On a tangent subject, gun energy drain. On my memories of playing the games and looking at youtube vids, the time you can fire on full guns in the original games is significantly more then that of Saga. Is the drain rate going to be the same as in the prologue release or are you guys going to change the drain rate of the guns? ( I have a feeling energy drain is directly linked to the subject above of having "linked" fire but I thought I'd toss it out just in case I'm wrong )

Second question, Missile lock times

As with above I remember having a MUCH faster lock time, and all I can say is the Saga missile lock times felt.... sluggish...especially when handling torps. Are you guys going to decrease the lock times?

Third question, Flight physics.

Just put it out, is the final flight model going to be more like the WC games with "crisper" movement and control inputs, rather then the smooth "arcs" the fighter goes through as they make snap manuevers as with FS2? (I remember the WC3 and subsequent games having almost FS like movement in the cutscenes, but I'm going for game play here)

Well with that off my chest,

Regardless if you guys change those or not, I look forward to shredding Kilrathi in the final release.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: Attention to Detail
First off, the guns

I noticed for every individual gun type, they fire in pairs, and I remember in the original WC3, they fire in a staggered pattern with a MUCH faster rate of fire. My question is are the guns going to be link in "duel" fire always? or are you going to have a "stagger" fire option so our fire rate is going to be similar to that of WC3?

On a tangent subject, gun energy drain. On my memories of playing the games and looking at youtube vids, the time you can fire on full guns in the original games is significantly more then that of Saga. Is the drain rate going to be the same as in the prologue release or are you guys going to change the drain rate of the guns? ( I have a feeling energy drain is directly linked to the subject above of having "linked" fire but I thought I'd toss it out just in case I'm wrong )

Fixed and fixed. ;)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline KeldorKatarn

We also try to bring missile lock times as close to the original as possible. However the missile lock works a little different in the engine we're using. You have to hold your fighter still.. too many gun impacts or evasive maneuvers can increase lock time from how I understand it. So it will differ a bit, but the overall experience should be very close to the original.

The flight model will have a bit more inertia to it that wc3 had, a bit more in the tradition of wc1. But aside from that the ships have basically the same maneuverability, speed and acceleration stats that they had in the original games, so we're pretty close to the original in this as well.

Awesome, thanks for the info, gents

First off, the guns

Fixed and fixed. ;)

That's good news, espetially considering that in freespace gun drain was directly connected to a difficulty level, so balancing it WC style on lat's say medium, would create issues in all other levels. have you get rid of this limitation as well ?

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yes, "very easy" still comes with an additional multiplier. "Easy", "medium", "hard" and "very hard" come with the same level of energy recharge /  drain rate
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis