Author Topic: XBox Controller only partially supported  (Read 7488 times)

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
XBox Controller only partially supported
Hello, guys. Before you burn me down with the giant torches of flaming, I KNOW that FS2 is not meant to be played with gamepads. I just like to experiment.

Now, I'm having some trouble:
A) For some reason, the 2 analog buttons (called LT and RT on the XBox Controller) just are not supported.
B) Even though in the menu I can set the horizontal axis (recognized by FS2 as the rY Axis) of the second thumbstick to be my Bank axis, in game it won't bank. If I use the vertical axis of the same thumbstick, it works.

Anyone has a solution for those? Or at least an idea on how I could look for one myself? :P
Potato!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: XBox Controller only partially supported
Problem is, the Joystick code isn't built to handle multiple analog inputs. So modern Gamepads will not work correctly.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
But my Playstation 2 dual analog gamepad works just fine!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Kay. Then I don't know what's going wrong (being a Mouse+Keyboard dude all the way)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Kay. Then I don't know what's going wrong (being a Mouse+Keyboard dude all the way)
^5

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
just to say my analog game pad works well aswell and i would use it all of the time if i could grow a third hand ,or find a game pad with a num pad attatched.....
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hello, guys. Before you burn me down with the giant torches of flaming, I KNOW that FS2 is not meant to be played with gamepads. I just like to experiment.

Now, I'm having some trouble:
A) For some reason, the 2 analog buttons (called LT and RT on the XBox Controller) just are not supported.
B) Even though in the menu I can set the horizontal axis (recognized by FS2 as the rY Axis) of the second thumbstick to be my Bank axis, in game it won't bank. If I use the vertical axis of the same thumbstick, it works.

Anyone has a solution for those? Or at least an idea on how I could look for one myself? :P
For A, the FS2_Open engine currently supports only four analog axes, which in your case are taken by the four axes on the 360's thumbsticks, so the game won't be able to recognize the two axes your triggers represent.  You may be able to use them as simple button controls, though, or use external software that would allow you to do so.

And for B, I don't know for certain, but I would think that what's being displayed as "rY" in-game would be referring to a vertical axis, not a horizontal, since Y is the usual designation for those.  Are you sure you're actually assigning the horizontal axis?  I know I was able to get both thumbsticks on a PlayStation controller properly configured when I tried fooling around with it.

Offline Tarvis

It happens to me too, with the xbox controller, though my triggers work.

The same horizontal turning on the right stick problem happens to me also.

Hey, you know what?  I sympathize.  I play FS2 on an XBox controller pretty much always.   You still have to reach out to the keyboard now and again, but you can get your main controls onto the 360 controller.  I use it because I feel that in space combat, one joystick just doesn't cut it.  You can move in too many different directions.  I make use of both joysticks and the hat stick to control movement.

You need a couple of programs.  I'm going off the assumption that you're using Windows XP or later--this will probably work for other OS's, but I don't know for sure.

First, you need PPJoy.  (Google this one.  There are a lot of versions and lot of places to get it.)  Once you download and install this program, set up a virtual joystick.  (The included documentation is very straight-forward and will lead you through this.)

Next, you need GlovePIE.  You can find it here: http://glovepie.org/

Once you have GlovePIE set up,  you can use its emulation and the virtual joystick you created with PPJoy to control map your Xbox controller to pretty much any darn thing you want, and FS2 does support the extra joystick axes to a limited extent.  Admittedly there are still some limitations, but I find that this setup gives me all the basic functionality I need.

PM me if you run into any problems with getting this stuff set up (although I don't think you will) and I'll be glad to share whatever small body of experience I can!

For reference, here's the PIE setup that I use, with the comments I left myself.  Again, configuring GlovePIE this way assumes that you have Windows and the accompanying drivers for the XBox 360 controller.  Otherwise, your 360 controller input may be called something other than "XInput."
//for Xbox 360 Controller, FS2

//This ties the PPJoy sticks to the left stick, right stick, and triggers
PPJoy1.Analog0 = XInput1.Joy1X
PPjoy1.Analog1 = -XInput1.Joy1X
PPjoy1.Analog2 = XInput1.Joy2X
PPJoy1.Analog3 = XInput1.RightTrigger
PPJoy1.Analog3 = -XInput1.LeftTrigger

//Buttons

PPJoy1.Digital0 = xinput1.A
PPJoy1.Digital1 = xinput1.B
PPJoy1.Digital2 = xinput1.X
PPJoy1.Digital3 = xinput1.Y
PPJoy1.Digital4 = xinput1.LeftShoulder
PPJoy1.Digital5 = xinput1.RightShoulder
PPJoy1.Digital6 = xinput1.Start
PPJoy1.Digital7 = xinput1.Back
PPJoy1.Digital8 = xinput1.LeftThumb
PPJoy1.Digital9 = xinput1.RightThumb

//Hat stick

PPJoy1.Digital10 = xinput1.Up
PPJoy1.Digital11 = xinput1.Left
PPJoy1.Digital12 = xinput1.Right
PPJoy1.Digital13 = xinput1.Down
I tinker with the layout a lot, but at present my controls are mapped thus:
Left stick:  Pitch and yaw
Left stick press: Toggle glide
Right stick: Roll (just roll, nothing on Y axis)
Right stick press: Toggle auto-match speed
D-pad or hat stick: Thrust up, down, left or right
Right bumper: fire primary
Left bumper: fire secondary
Triggers: relative throttle control
A: Target in HUD
B: Target next nearest enemy
X: Afterburner
Y: Countermeasures
Start: Cycle next target
Back: Cycle previous target
As you can see, I've left most of the technical fiddling--such as energy and shield adjustments--on the keyboard.

And if you like this method and you get it all set up, let me know what control schemes you come up with!

Offline Tarvis

I know this is a bump, but I was able to fix this (without GlovePIE) by opening the XBCD controller setup, and setting the horizontal axis of the right stick from RX to Slider.
Make sure you go to the Windows tab and enable the Slider guage (and disable the RX one). Hit Apply on both tabs. Next, unplug/plug back in your controller and make sure that the axes work right in the Control Panel. Try it in-game again.