Off-Topic Discussion > Gaming Discussion

Trends in Gaming.(a rant)

<< < (13/15) > >>

Mars:
Old Tyrian had some interesting character development... now that I think about it, if rather cliche

Fineus:

--- Quote from: Ransom Arceihn on August 06, 2006, 04:40:33 pm ---Ah. The impression I got was that you were saying character development in general was a waste of time.

--- End quote ---
I think a better way of putting it is... there's a time and a place.

Lets take Need For Speed Most Wanted. There are charachters in the game but they're very very shallow indeed. And they don't need to be anything else.

The game - being all about arcade car racing - doesn't need deep charachter involvement to make it work. But something like NWN thrives on it. The trick (for game devs) is to know when to do which.

Getter Robo G:
(insert more comic relief)

Would it be half-baked if in FSX we have a Deekin & Dealen Red Tiger cross-over?

Deekin (Alpha2) - "The great Kobold pilot thrusts his ship into subspace with no fear... And then realises he is not knowing, where this particular node, actually leads to... Umm Boss (Alpha1)?"

(later during a surveilance mission)

Deekin (Alpha2) - "Doom Doom Doom, Doomy Doom Doom!"

Deelan (Alpha3) - "Kobold, cease you prattling and maintain radio silence, or I shall fly over to you and smite thee!"

:wtf: :P :lol:

Mathwiz6:
Ahh yes, the doom song...

I think I prefer Deekin asking Valen "How come you have horns?"

Then they both talk about all the stuff they survived (I have survived the blades of thousands of enemies questing for my blood!) (Once old boss sat on Deekin!) (I have survived battles with 90% casualties!) (Once Deekin old boss farted, and Deekin stuck head in water pail. Deekin was only kobold in area to survive!)

Ahh, comic relief....

Tyrian:

--- Quote from: Kalfireth on August 07, 2006, 03:09:36 am ---
--- Quote from: Ransom Arceihn on August 06, 2006, 04:40:33 pm ---Ah. The impression I got was that you were saying character development in general was a waste of time.

--- End quote ---
I think a better way of putting it is... there's a time and a place.

Lets take Need For Speed Most Wanted. There are charachters in the game but they're very very shallow indeed. And they don't need to be anything else.

The game - being all about arcade car racing - doesn't need deep charachter involvement to make it work. But something like NWN thrives on it. The trick (for game devs) is to know when to do which.

--- End quote ---

This is what I was talking about.  Some games need character development, while others don't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version