Author Topic: RELEASE - Flames of War: chapter 1  (Read 46987 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: RELEASE - Flames of War: chapter 1
Oh and one thing that worked for me was to put the campaign .vp in the root directory of FS2 along with all the other files.

If you want to stick your dick in a bender AlphaOne that's your choice. But don't be telling other people it's a good idea. :p

Installing mods to root folder is a very bad idea. Espcially considering that all you have to do is create a FlamesOfWar folder and extract to there instead of root. Then simply go to the mod tab in the launcher and click select mod -> FlamesOfWar.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well that is what i said right? To me at least when i extracted the files it automaticly made a Flames of war directory. But i had some problems with FS actualy seeing the campaign mod and it worked out when i moved the campaign vp. along with some other files more precisely the tango files and the other vp files. And it works perfectly even now. Of course some mods can be detected without dooing this but in my case for some reason it did not want to detect them.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
TM, you said that there is a new .vp file, with a different name on Hades Combine.  I can't find it.  I did find a FoW download, but that contained mission files only.  Could you post a link to the new .vp?
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
well that is what i said right? To me at least when i extracted the files it automaticly made a Flames of war directory. But i had some problems with FS actualy seeing the campaign mod and it worked out when i moved the campaign vp. along with some other files more precisely the tango files and the other vp files. And it works perfectly even now. Of course some mods can be detected without dooing this but in my case for some reason it did not want to detect them.

I have no idea what you've done on your install that made a proper install fail but I'll bet that it's due to a cock up in installation on your part. If you've cocked up your installation so badly that you need to do this in order to get it to work then you should fix it rather than advising other people to solve their problems with the same half-baked solution that worked for you.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mi mistake! Look what I did was this i moved the campaign vp for flames of war from its flames of war directory in the FS2 root directory to the FS2 mai directory where i have the vp from sparky and tango ones. It was the only way that the game actualy detected the campaign Flames of war and was able to play it. Now if it should of worked even when the campaign vp was in the flames of war directory then I can only asyme that something is wrong with my fs2 install or the 3.6.9.....!
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If your car stops working you don't strap motorcycle engines to each wheel and then advertise that as a good solution to other people's car problems. You fix the problem at its source. The engine.

Something is wrong with your install. And that's what needs to be fixed. Sticking VPs in the main folder is not a solution to that problem. Now if you don't want to fix your problem that's your choice but I'd appreciate it if you don't give people bad advice that makes it harder for me to solve their real problem next time something stops working on their install.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have like 15 files altogheteher in the FS2 root directory i cant see why this is such a problem especialy since it WORKED! I had NO IDEA that the problem was with the install. Also the install is from the online installer so if its a problem it is with the online installer. Doint blame me i did not do much just made a few click on it and it all worked out i had mi Fs 2 game.
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I very much doubt the problem lies with the online installer. Why don't you stick the Flames of War VP back where it should be, select the mod in the launcher and tell me if you still have a problem finding the mod.

If you do run the debug version and post the log file (fs2_open.log) that appears in your data folder here (post it as an attachment rather than just copy and pasting it here).

Offline Tyrian

I still get an error during the loading of the first mission after the intro.

I'll try to grab the debug log now.

EDIT:  This is the debug log after the game crashes while loading the first mission.  It's zipped in .7z because HLP wouldn't let me upload it otherwise...

EDIT2:  I'll try to be more descriptive tomorrow of the problem...I'm still jet lagged from a trip I had to take...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 09:31:58 pm by Tyrian »

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
  -mod LSNebula,,MediaVP,,FOW_Chapter1_Alpha,mediavps

How have you set up your folders?

Cause that should be

-mod FOW_Chapter1_Alpha,mediavps,LSNebula

most likely.

Offline Tyrian

Each mod is in its own folder.  Same goes for the Media .vps and Lightspeed's Nebulae (plural?). 

I changed the -mod flags to what you said, and now it works...Amazing...

Finally, I can play this!

Sig rising...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
TM, you said that there is a new .vp file, with a different name on Hades Combine.  I can't find it.  I did find a FoW download, but that contained mission files only.  Could you post a link to the new .vp?

I replaced the old file FOW_Chapter1.rar with FOW_Chapter1B.rar. - it's the smae DL link on HC. The VP contains the mission, campain and CB anims, the ships and textures VP and other stuff are mentioned in the first post.

Wait a sec...WTF?????

Something is missing! I?ll re-upload hte thing.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline neoterran

I replaced the old file FOW_Chapter1.rar with FOW_Chapter1B.rar. - it's the smae DL link on HC. The VP contains the mission, campain and CB anims, the ships and textures VP and other stuff are mentioned in the first post.

Wait a sec...WTF?????

Something is missing! I?ll re-upload hte thing.

:confused: :shaking: :confused:

Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Alritghty..

the fie on HC is fixed.

the rar should contain:
FOW_Chapter1.VP
readme.txt
mod.ini
FOFBanner.bmp

Put these files inside a folder you make in the FS2 root directory - call he folder like you want (I called it FOW1)
The other VP with the ship models you can put in here too or in the root directory BUT

make sure that the mod.ini references it as wall as the mediavp (some people have the new version that's named differently) The line should look something like this:

secondrylist = ,mediavps, FOW_Chapter1_Models;

Other files (on the first page) are not in VP's and are optional, but I would reccomend them for the best experience.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 04:12:08 am by TrashMan »

Offline neoterran

Alritghty..

the fie on HC is fixed.

the rar should contain:
FOW_Chapter1.VP
readme.txt
mod.ini
FOFBanner.bmp

Put these files inside a folder you make in the FS2 root directory - call he folder like you want (I called it FOW1)
The other VP with the ship models you can put in here too or in the root directory BUT

make sure that the mod.ini references it as wall as the mediavp (some people have the new version that's named differently) The line should look something like this:

secondrylist = ,mediavps, FOW_Chapter1_Models;

Other files (on the first page) are not in VP's and are optional, but I would reccomend them for the best experience.

You can start calling this secondarylist now you know and you don't need the prefixed comma anymore.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It should work like this..does for me..backwards compability and all... but thanks for hte heads-up :D

Playing the flames of war campaing, when i was trying to complete the second mission aborad the GTACa i changed some weapons and it simply starting doing fatal erros and closing the program.

The SCP system generated the following errorlog:

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
[launcher]
exe_filepath = F:\games\FSCP\fs2_open_3_6_9.exe;
game_flags = -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -rearm_timer -ballistic_gauge -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload ;
active_mod = flames of war\FOW_Chapter1;

How can i solve this?
Thanks for all!
A flying doctor in the middle of dogfighting game? it's better to come back to my books...

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
what exactly did you change? :wtf:

what exactly did you change? :wtf:

I changed the fighter i was using and their weapons, but using the normal ways during the briefing.
(Even because i have limited knowledge about programin...)
 I donĀ“t know if it helps... but the program generated a errorlog. I have posted it in the mantis but they said that it was not a FSCP problem and should be corrected in the foruns.
 I will copy it here:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 08:13:21 am by lobisomem »
A flying doctor in the middle of dogfighting game? it's better to come back to my books...

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
So you didn't fiddle with the tables at all? Every change you did was in-game?

Well. This is certantly strange. I don't have a clue what could be causing that. Maby some launcher flag?