Author Topic: Release Babylon 5: The Geometry of Shadows - Minbari Project v.1.0 BETA  (Read 11171 times)

Offline Asprin

Release Babylon 5: The Geometry of Shadows - Minbari Project v.1.0 BETA
Okay, the time is right! Here it is B5:TGoS - Minbari Project release. Before proceed to download, please read the F.A.Q. and our recomendations.

Q: What is the Babylon 5: The Geometry of Shadows (B5: TGoS) and why BETA release?
A: The B5: TGoS is a project based on FSO engine (in OSS forked edition – FSO_OSE) and on the Babylon 5 universe created by J.M. Strazhinsky. There is no sense to list all differences from classical FSO, we will note only one, because all the others are based on it – the physics. Well, we can’t call it fully “Newtonian” type because of certain FSO engine properties (that is why we have finished works on FSO_OSE and have started development of new game engine), but at the present time all critical signs of the given type of physics were released and we can characterize the project as Sci-Fi Simulator. Because of new physics type, we had to update the most basic principles of game-play such as AI behavior, navigation, weapons control, sensors control and so on. However, some of these things have experimental character and they are optimized not in the best way, therefore. OSS team has only 2 programmers and we can’t work on the both engines simultaneously. Anyway, this circumstance will not influence the game-play, and we hope that new B5: TGoS team will finish all of the critical works.

Q: What exactly expects us in this project?
A: Well, the B5: TGoS has no general campaigns or missions. However, the Minbari Project has: there are 3, linked by story line, campaigns. Each campaign has 20 actual missions. You can start from any campaign but we strongly recommend that you’ll play according to internal order: Part 1 – The Unity, Part 2 – When the Darkness Falls, Part 3 – The Beginning. All of them can be finished at any level of difficulty. During the game your opponents will be forces of Neo-Minbari Front, Drahs forces, and of course – the Shadows. The only problem, there are no cutscenes and, therefore, certain, not critical, difficulties with understanding of the general story line are possible.

Q: How many abstractions in the project?
A: Approximately at level of IFH: D&O project, but still a little bit more. For example, we tried to simulate the refueling during long flights, similar to F16 4.0 and LOMAC, but because of the mentioned FSO properties we could not achieve distinct result. So, when you flying multistage mission your fuel value will return to maximum level when the next stage starts, but without any “explanations”. The second example is missiles launch. This sector of works is not finished yet and, therefore, the process not always looks well, anyway it will not influence the game-play and it is not so critical. The last thing we want to mark is general combat environment. There was a phrase: “Minbari pilot != Human pilot”. Of course it is so and Minbari have different cultural, political and military systems. However they have it, and they have same understanding of their systems as we have of our own. So, lets imagine that you are not human pilot, but minbari one, and the environment, understanding of which you have in real life, corresponds to minbari.

Q: Have you tactical recommendations on the game?
A: Of course we have. First, the fatal situations:  missile hit, very low speed, some of head-to-head situations, behavior by a principle of the “solo” are deadly for you.

Second, basic solution on hard points and on avoiding the long fights: you have to control available friendly units as often as possible; one of the most useful but the risky sequences for advanced enemy - regroup your pilots, lure your target closer, then command your ships to attack the target. Remember, you have to execute this while moving (about 200-300m/s) or your opponents will get superiority. Well, actually the sequence works with standard enemy as well, however, if enemy unit is equipped with missiles, it will not engage you in close combat, until the amount allow. The unit will move enough quickly and on the “slide vector”.

Third, do not allow missiles to hit you, use countermeasures or high-speed slide maneuvers; also, your own speed will add to missile’s speed at the moment of launch – use this opportunity.

Fourth, don’t fight with low speed without tactical or other important necessity (try to keep 600 – 1100m/s), otherwise you will be very easy target.

Of course, these recommendations are basic; we’ll hope that you’ll create your own. Anyway, if the game-play will difficult for you, there is a “magic key” for the invulnerability – F12. Using this mode will not affect your progress but we recommend to finish all three campaigns without it. Our crush-team did. And the last thing – NEVER FORGET TO RETURN TO THE “BATTLE MODE” WHEN YOU ARRIVE MISSION AREA.

Critical default controls you have to know.

“W” – Fly Forward
“A” – Fly Feft
“S” – Fly backward
“D” – Fly right
“TAB + W” – Afterburner Forward
“TAB + S” – Afterburner Backward

“LMB” – Primary Fire
“CMB” – Secondary Fire
“RMB” – Target Object in Reticle

“SHIFT + 1” – Increase Engine Power (affects to accelerations but lowers primary recharge)
“SHIFT + 2” - Increase Weapon Power (affects to primary recharge but lowers accelerations)

“SHIFT + N” – Switcher between NAVIGATION and BATTLE modes
“N” – cycle NAV points
“ALT + A” – Autopilot switcher (ON/OFF)

“V” – Launch countermeasures
“C” – Reset message board

1. Please, make sure you have GUI resolution 1024x768 in the LAUNCHER.
2. You can use additional flags in order to shut down the markers: "-nomarkers" disables target's and missile's markers, "-nomtm" disables only missile's markers
3. If you have LCD monitor, please remove "-ogl_rate 85" from the launcher's command line.
4. If you will install the game on Windows XP, please cut the install path up to C:\Programm Files\OpenSpce Softworks\B5TGOSMP or something you like. Don't use default long path.

THE LINK: http://ossw.ru/b5tgos.torrent

P.S. Sorry guys! :D :D :D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 04:20:51 am by Asprin »
QuantreTech Studios

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Release Babylon 5: The Geometry of Shadows - Minbari Project v.1.0 BETA
This is nice and all, but....where's the download link?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Asprin

Sorry! My brain is breaking apart! It's updated.  :D :D :D
QuantreTech Studios

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Right, next question. Does that installer include the source for the engine?
When exactly did you fork your build?

Offline Asprin

Nope. I'll provide direct link ASAP. You see, i have to translate some of our comments....working...
QuantreTech Studios

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Downloaded. Currently installing.

First thing I notice is that installation takes forever; this is mainly due to the game data not being distributed in vp files, and A LOT of game data being included more than once. In addition, you chose to use .wav as the format for music data; This causes unnecessary bloat.
Second, I notice that your fork is based on FSO 3.6.10. For several reasons, this isn't good. 3.6.10 is horribly slow and buggy by FSO standards, this won't be much fun...

On startup, your mod's exe greets me with a message that this isn't the official SCP build (which is good) but also tells me that there are 61 warnings (which is bad).

On the pilot select screen, I entered my customary pilot name (E) and hit enter. The exe promptly crashed with this warning:

Code: [Select]
Error: Couldn't load pilot file, bailing
File: playermenu.cpp
Line: 886

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not bode well.....

EDIT: Got it running, although I had to move the whole thing away from C:\Program Files\
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:23:31 am by The E »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think that it's a relic of a problem that FSO engine once had with being placed in folders that had spaces in the name (it was once mentioned somewhere to avoid doing this).
I've tried the first few missions of the campaign and I can say it could use time compression on AP, being able to disable 3D radar and a training mission.
I also think that I've found a bug, which causes M2 to restart when you meet the enemy (though I didn't reproduced it yet).

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!

Sounds good, what about screenshots? :nod:
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
So yeah. I just don't get this gameplay. No training missions, I spend 6 minutes struggling with this newtonian flight model, looking up keys trying to see what on the hud goes where. Just so I can sit on my ass, waiting for the autopilot to accelerate to a nav point for several minutes.
Then finally, one enemy and then... flying to the next navpoint.

Does it get like... fun in the later missions? Cause right now, I'm not really encouraged to continue playing  :blah:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline den5

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
B4: TMP Prologue should be inluded into this.
It's missions were far more interesting and made better first impression than new campaigns.
It also had a training missions, which really helped when starting with the flight model.
I think that in it's current state, mostly people who played prologue (or IFH) would play it, because others would get scared by the learning curve, which is rather steep.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I realize time compression is buggy in FreeSpace, but without it this type of sim feels like a job rather than a game.

Bugs so far:
Trying to look at several items in the tech room caused my game to crash. The Sharlin, for example.

I used all my missiles on the first enemy in mission one because A) I thought from the instructions that I was only going to face one, and B) most of them exploded well before hitting the target because they lock outside their range, and I don't know what their range is. That's not exactly a bug, it's just annoying, though you did mention you hadn't got missiles quite right yet. When the second enemy got a lucky missile hit while I was trying to strafe it with guns, I decided to skip to the second mission. The second mission consistently ends with a fadeout only seconds after it starts, and returns to the mission 2 briefing screen.

For your reference, I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Also, if you've given up on forking FSO and instead are developing a new engine, does that mean we're beta testing something that you have no intention of continuing to develop?
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline est1895

Hello.  I don't know how to download a torrent file.  Will there be a .rar or .7z file in the future?  :confused:

Offline newman

You need to download and install a torrent client, such as utorrent (or any other) and open the torrent file in it. The torrent client will then proceed to download all the files included in a torrent. You can think of the torrent file itself as nothing more than a sort of a link to the stuff you actually want to download, and the torrent client the application that downloads said stuff using that link.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline starlord

wouln't it be better to host it as a full download somewhere?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Torrents alleviate the need to worry about providing large amounts of server bandwidth yourself.  You simply have to host a small torrent file, and then the people who want to download can do so from those who already have the files and are seeding the torrent.  It's a more efficient scheme than your standard direct download.

Offline -Sara-

I guess a lot of people find torrents confusing since you need a seperate program to get them on your PC, sometimes a firewall bugs up the entire process and not everyone is handy setting that up properly (not to even start about a few people having to open ports in their router) and then there is the point of seeders, sometimes no-one or few being online making people think their download is iffy or that it's not working entirely.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
So, what's the status of OSE build diffs?
I'd like to see some of these features introduced to FS2Open and that's not going to happen untill they're released.
There's plenty of features FSO could use (fuel and oxygen systems are among them).

Offline Asprin

Guys, there are some troubles.... Please be patient, we'll provide all the answers and the source asap.

So, what's the status of OSE build diffs?
Physics is the primary.
QuantreTech Studios

Offline est1895

I tried installing the utorrent, but it said that it would have to make changes to my windows firewall.  :shaking: I'm not using my Windows Firewall, but My Kaspersky Internet Secuirty.  Please have an alternate link! :rolleyes: