General FreeSpace > FreeSpace Discussion

Freespace Music Remixes

<< < (3/70) > >>

Angelus:

--- Quote from: Danimal on March 07, 2012, 12:24:16 pm ---Hello,

My "real" name is Dan Wentz. I was fortunate enough to contribute to both of these games and they will forever be a huge part of me. I've also contributed to this project years back. For those interested, just a heads up that I've recently created an account on sound cloud and have started to redo the music from two of my favorite games of all time.  This all started as a discussion with a friend of mine on Facebook of all places. The guy asked me what the main menu music for Descent 2 would sound like now. As I was never happy with how the general midi translated to the masses, I took that as an opportunity. And I can't tell you how much fun it is to revisit some of my favorite projects ever.

Check them out here, probably several more on the way.
http://soundcloud.com/daniel-wentz/

If you have any particular requests, I'm all ears.  Thanks for supporting.

-
Dan Wentz

--- End quote ---

You Sir, are awesome! Thanks for the tracks! :)

well, since you asked...if you ever find some time, maybe even in not-so-distant future... ( you never know what may happen next week or so, maybe a Alien species blows up our sun, just for teh lulz...)...it'd be awesome to hear some new Freespace (related) tracks... :nervous:

After a decade, those games still kick ass, the Music enhances every single moment of the game, so thanks for that!

Danimal:

--- Quote from: General Battuta on March 07, 2012, 12:38:38 pm ---This is awesome. I've only listened to the FreeSpace 2 credits music so far -- the increased quality is remarkable.

I know nothing whatsoever about audio, but it felt like some of the -- I'm grappling for useful terms here -- the really sweeping, epic bits of the original were toned down a bit, maybe out of concerns for dynamic range? I'm thinking in particular of 1:27-1:50ish, and 2:40-3:04, which were the big goosebumps-and-chills moments in the original. They're a little more subdued now.

I'm only a listener here, I don't know anything about audio engineering, and I'm incredibly grateful for your work here.

e: Listening to them side by side, wow, the quality difference is enormous.

--- End quote ---

You are correct, as part of the facebook challenge, I allowed myself one day to re-create each of these.  In the case of the credits, I wanted to "nod" at the original elements but in a more subdued fashion. There are notes about each one in the description that go into more detail of what was used, etc.

You're very welcome!

-
DW

Hellstryker:
I've something you may be interested in, I'll throw you a PM. Anyway I uhh... I don't know what to say, man.

I first played Descent Freespace when I was 7 years old, on an old Windows 95 rig my cousin had put together. Some of the best memories of my childhood. I'll never, ever forget the music.

I'm really not the type to kiss ass but... I just.. wow.

mjn.mixael:
I love the menu music. I wonder if I might be allowed to use it along with my mainhall remakes?

Goober5000:
Holy crap, it's Dan Wentz!  Excuse us while we all freak out. :D

Welcome to HLP sir!  I believe we have a long-standing policy to allow the Volition guys their choice of custom title, although the most recent time it was used was when DaveB visited here long ago.  If you'd like any special text under your username, don't hesitate to ask.

And I definitely have a request in mind.  When you graciously provided that archive of historical FreeSpace music, there was an intriguing main hall track titled fs2betamainhall.  Since you've already remixed the FS1 and FS2 main halls, could you remix that one too?

Finally, I'd like to tell you about one other thing, but I'll PM you for that. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version