Author Topic: Can anyone help with getting LAN working?  (Read 4601 times)

Offline P632

Can anyone help with getting LAN working?
Me and my friend have been trying to use Hamachi to play Freespace 2 with each other. Considering the old Homeworld 2 LAN worked flawlessly on hamachi I don't see why Freespace 2 is giving me problems.

I've set the Wxlauncher settings to LAN, replaced everything in the multi CFG file with +lan_update, tried using 3.7.2 FS2 Open and the new 3.8.0 SSE2. Changing FS2 multiplayer options for missions to multidata. No luck with what's been tried so far.

Does anyone have any Hamachi or VLAN success stories? How did you get this thing to work in LAN? What steps did you follow? Thanks in advance.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Can anyone help with getting LAN working?
LAN should work for FS2_Open without any need for any special steps. If anything, the steps you mentioned actually make things less likely to work. (You should definitely switch back from multidata for a start).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Pretty sure they're not physically on the same LAN, they're trying to do LAN emulation./

Offline P632

Pretty sure they're not physically on the same LAN, they're trying to do LAN emulation./

Yes, sorry, this is what I mean by LAN(could not find the word for this).

I have in the past played freespace 2 on my laptop and PC at home with a friend, and it worked perfectly fine. But trying to get LAN emulation to work is completely frustrating.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

I know. It shouldn't make a difference. I've used Hamachi myself for the same thing in the past without any problems.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline P632

If it helps, this is what I have currently:

We just can't see each others games. I'm wondering if I am getting some setting wrong?

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
It could also be the other person's side that is causing issues.

Have you tried Tunngle or EVOLVE as alternatives?  I found both of those to be easier to "just work" than Hamachi.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline P632

I remember using Tunngle but that seems to have been shut down from what I hear.

Haven't tried Evolve though, I'll see if I can get that working when my friend comes online again. Thank you for the suggestion!

Offline ksotar

If you can see/play with your setup on the LAN, then you can try our method for Internet as well.

We have our Internet providers, well, provide us with 'white' IP, however temporary (so it doesn't come from 192.168... etc ranges). You can check it with any "what is my IP" service. This IP should be the same as the one you got on WAN interface of your router (go to settings page of you router and see what is in WAN).

I believe this is a common practice nowadays for ISPs, so you could try the following right away:

a) Set up a port-forwarding on your router for port 7808 to your server inner (LAN) IP for both TCP/UDP and call it to say "Freespace";

b) let you friend in the Internet go to "f2" "multi" options in F2 itself and add there your external IP (as I said it could be known with any web service for it), don't forget to hit "Enter" after you have typed it. Make sure that it is stayed in the list (go to those settings again). Important: you should restart the game after that.

This way your friend should be able to see your server in the list of available ones.