Author Topic: Regarding Goober5000 & Moderation in Political Discussion  (Read 54928 times)

Re: Regarding Goober5000 & Moderation in Political Discussion
Reminder:
As far as I'm concerned Goober has been given every chance to apologise for his actions. Instead last week Goober reiterated on the global moderator board that he feels that should the global mods and admins not agree with his definition of defamation he'd feel entitled to look into legal options.

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
The primary reason was that Axem basically achieved everything there is to achieve with FSO. This incident was merely the spark that light a powder keg that was rigged to blow sooner or later anyway.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Is it done, Yuri?

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
No, Comrade Premier. It has only begun.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I sure as **** hope it's done. Been a long time coming.

Offline Aesaar

Those who rejected my apology broke it first.  I fulfilled all the terms of my agreement.
Even people who were formerly giving you the benefit of the doubt disagree.  Your non-apology turned almost everyone against you.

Your lack of self-awareness and inability to swallow your pride did this.  Proverbs 16:18 ring any bells?  You can either learn from this experience and grow as a person, or you can continue to blame everyone but yourself.

I think we both know which option you'll choose, but I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

Offline spart_n

• I am the labeller of CringeTM and KinoTM
    • Steam
Thread theme:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
This thread has been full of historical rewriting since I last posted a few hours ago.

The admins made a deal that was agreed to by Goober, which included proper moderation of the personal attacks in the original thread before restoring it, as well as Goober being curtailed from moderating the forums for at least a year.

The admins then blatantly broke that deal by not moderating the posts in question. They then began (continued, actually) to demand that Goober be de-admined, many of them threatening to quit if not.

In the meantime, I was working with Goober to rewrite his apology, seeing as it only met half the terms dictated by that same agreement the admins were busy breaking.

Little did we know that the other admins were planning in secret whatever they were planning, culminating in Goober being de-admined suddenly, about 24 hours ago. Then, crickets. No follow-up post, no announcement, nothing.

THAT ridiculous mishandling of the situation was the straw that broke Axem's back, and according to his own words, was the direct cause of him leaving.

The sheer hypocrisy and blatant violation of forum guidelines demonstrated by the other admins in all this is unfortunately all I have to leave HLP with. You are at their mercy, but as long as you walk in step and spout the mob rhetoric, you should be fine.

I'm done ranting.

I'm truly saddened to see that it came to this.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
"im not owned" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into an ex admin

We know the agreement, it's in the first post.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
bye felicia

Well, nice job, 2 Admins less operating an understaffed site, the whole Global Mod group and the remaining admins should be fired due to proven incompetence but a bunch of PolDisc asshats got rid of some people that disagreed on

What a beautiful day for HLP~

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Those who rejected my apology broke it first.  I fulfilled all the terms of my agreement.

I'll finally make that Scroll cutscene if you can provide a heartfelt, sincere apology.

The thing is, I had been composing a heartfelt, sincere apology.  I told the admins on Monday that I was composing it, and I worked on it each day from Monday through Wednesday.  They took these actions without even waiting to see what the new apology looked like.

You know that you can still apologize, right?

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Well, nice job, 2 Admins less operating an understaffed site, the whole Global Mod group and the remaining admins should be fired due to proven incompetence but a bunch of PolDisc asshats got rid of some people that disagreed on

You've been told repeatedly why the rest of us had a problem with what Goober did and you know damn well that it wasn't just political disagreement. Quit your bull****.

You know that you can still apologize, right?

he's not gonna

You've been told repeatedly why the rest of us had a problem with what Goober did and you know damn well that it wasn't just political disagreement. Quit your bull****.

No u

Offline Aesaar

I'll finally make that Scroll cutscene if you can provide a heartfelt, sincere apology.

The thing is, I had been composing a heartfelt, sincere apology.  I told the admins on Monday that I was composing it, and I worked on it each day from Monday through Wednesday.  They took these actions without even waiting to see what the new apology looked like.

Imagine if you'd just done that the first time, rather than needing to be forced into rewriting your non-apology because people saw right through you. 

And apparently, you continued to hint at legal action in the staff forums even afterwards, which is a dead giveaway that you weren't sincere and still don't understand what you did wrong.

One wonders if you would have ever apologized at all if you didn't see it as the price required to keep your admin powers.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

It might not make a difference to your position as admin, but I would read such an apology with some compassion. I say 'some' because I think it could only be complete if it also included an apology for your call to keep churches open. Given what we knew then—and especially what we now know about how COVID spreads, with just a few large gatherings driving the majority of infection—I think that was tantamount to advocacy for mass death. Worship may be as necessary to the religious as water, but churches aren't.

Yes, it's not the same as calling for violence, because viruses don't have will. But it is in my mind the same as encouraging people to pack into a crowded club with only one exit while the backstage is on fire. I think it is at least as big an issue as threatening to sue a forum member.

I may disagree with you on just about every conceivable axis but I would like to give genuine attempts at communication and redemption a chance.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org

No jokes, glibness, or facetiousness, I'd actually like to see that apology.

But not because you are trying to keep your Admin status. An apology that actually shows us that you know what you did was wrong, and are truly remorseful for it. Not keeping up some end of a bargain you consulted your lawyers for, when you were entering a deal to keep your community position.

I'm all for you posting it. Like I'll even say please. Please, if you have crafted it, post it.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
One wonders if you would have ever apologized at all if you didn't see it as the price required to keep your admin powers.

I've been at odds with him for a decade. The man is incapable of actual remorse or empathy. Relationships are transactional.

This is why I apologize to my kids every time I do them wrong. Apologizing isn't weakness.. it's taking responsibility and taking responsibility is strength. It garners respect and admiration. I want them to see that in practice.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.