Author Topic: Jaded's ModPacks  (Read 17793 times)

Jaded's ModPacks

Jaded's ModPacks are a set of mods for Freespace Open which bind together other mods available in the community into a single cohesive package for play by end users. They can be installed quickly and easily via Knossos.

Installation
  • Install Knossos
  • Click the "Download with Knossos" button below for the ModPack you want.
  • Kick Shivan butt. :lol:

Instructions
These modpacks target "HD (High Definition)" resolutions with their features. You are strongly advised to play at 1920x1080 or higher resolution when using these modpacks.

There are two special features for this mod pack: ScreenCam-Script and RadarIcon-Script. The former enables you to pause the action and enter a free-cam mode to view the action from all angles and take screenshots. The latter paints silhouettes of enemy and allied ships (Hud Icons) over the ships themselves to aid in visually locating them in dark or cloudy conditions.

The controls are as follows:
ALT+1: Enable or disable ScreenCam Mode while in a mission. You must come to a complete stop to exit ScreenCam Mode.
ALT+2: Toggle mission pause while in ScreenCam Mode
ALT+3: Toggle Hud Icons.

Frequently Asked Questions
Hidden Text: Show
  • It says the executable is missing when I try to start the modpack.
    This is a known bug with Knossos. Fortunately, there is a relatively simple workaround... here.

• The above didn't work and/or there are no FSO versions listed.
    This is another, known bug with Knossos. You can manually install the needed executable using the workaround found here. Be sure to apply the above fix afterwards.

• I have an error saying <mod name> is required but not installed... except it is installed.
    Yup. Another Knossos bug. What's actually happening in this case is that one of the optional packages for the named mod didn't get installed. The mod is there, but not all the parts of it that my modpack requires. You can go to the mod it claims isn't installed, click details > options > modify, and install any optional packages missing from that mod.

• Why use (and even advocate for) Knossos when it has so many problems?
    Because Knossos, even with its flaws, is still a huge user experience improvement over previous launchers. That and these are all actually the same bug manifesting in different ways. Finally, the developer of Knossos is working on a completely new version of Knossos that should resolve these issues permanently.

Jaded's FreeSpace 2
v1.4.1

Freespace 2 with:
Freespace Ugrade MediaVPs
MjnMixael's Mainhalls
HD Hud by Shivan Hunter (modified)
Jaded's HD Radar Icons
Lafiel's RadarIcon Script
Admiral MS' ScreenCam Script
Nycteaus' NTF Reskin Pack

Change Log
  • Now requires FSO 22.0.0.
  • Mods updated:
    • Freespace Upgrade MediaVPs ~4.6.1
    • Generic Radar Icons ~1.0.0 (no in-game change)
    • Mjn's Mainhalls ~1.4.8

• Realized balance is more important than things which bother me. Reverted some changes to game settings and ai from 1.2.0.

• Reverted the NTC Trinity to a non-reskinned model.

• Added Nycteaus' NTF Reskin Pack to the modpack. Required modifying some retail missions to use the reskinned ships.

• Added "Jaded's Modpacks" splash screen.
  • Now targets engine version 21.0.0 and newer in game_settings.tbl. This results in many changes (improvements?) to gameplay which you can read about here.
    Fair warning, I haven't fully tested the campaign with this.
    • Additional changes regarding effects visibility in nebulas (requires 21.2+)

• Target HD Hud for BPC 0.6.0
    • Repositions gauges to ensure fewer overlaps.
    • AxMessage Gauges are now auto-scaling to fit your resolution (1080p and up only)
    • Now using truetype fonts for hud text to improve readability.

• Added hud icon for unknown "fuzzy" radar blips

• Switched to HD Radar Icons - Generic. There's no need for silhouettes in both the HUD and Radar.

• Gold status achieved!
  • Reverted mainhalls dependency changes from RC6 as they didn't help.
  • Changed hd mainhalls version target to <=1.4.3 due to a breaking change in 1.4.4
  • Changed HD Hud target to ~0.5.0. This will result in a more BPC-like message interface in missions.

1.0.0-rc6
  • Added all remaining mjn mainhalls as dependencies in an attempt resolve an issue with knossos claiming there is no executable available for launching the mod pack. See `known issues` below.

1.0.0-rc5
  • Now with bomb hud icons!
  • Updated to HD Radar Icons v0.2.0
  • Updated to Lafiel's Hud Icons v21.2.12

1.0.0-rc4
  • updated to HD Radar Icons v0.1.4 (because knossos had a case of the dumb)

1.0.0-rc3
  • compat-patched a few more incorrect hud icon defs
  • updated to HD Radar Icons v0.1.3

1.0.0-rc2
  • fixed dependency issue with HD Radar Icons

1.0.0-rc1
  • PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!

Jaded's FreeSpace Port
v1.3.1

Freespace Port with:
Freespace Port MediaVPs
MjnMixael's Mainhalls
Jaded's HD Radar Icons

Change Log
  • Mods updated:
    • Freespace Port MediaVPs ~4.6.0
    • Mjn's Mainhalls ~1.4.8

• Realized balance is more important than things which bother me. Reverted some changes to game settings and ai from 1.2.0.

• Does NOT target engine version 21.0.0 and newer in game_settings.tbl in order to preserve FS1 behavior as much as possible.

• AxMessage Gauges are now auto-scaling to fit your resolution (1080p and up only)

• Switched to HD Radar Icons - Generic. There's no need for silhouettes in both the HUD and Radar.
  • Removed superfluous dependencies to FSPort packages that are superseded by FSPort MediaVPs packages.

• Gold status achieved!
  • Reverted mainhalls dependency changes from RC4 as they didn't help.
  • Changed hd mainhalls version target to <=1.4.3 due to a breaking change in 1.4.4
  • Changed HD Hud target to ~0.5.0. This will result in a more BPC-like message interface in missions.

1.0.0-rc4
  • Increased FSPort dependency to use FSPort ~3.6.8 which includes a fix for the erroneous value in the weapons.tbl. As such I've also removed my custom weapons.tbl override from the mod pack.
  • Added all remaining mjn mainhalls as dependencies in an attempt resolve an issue with knossos claiming there is no executable available for launching the mod pack. See `known issues` below.

1.0.0-rc3
  • Added weapon table fix till next FS Port release.

1.0.0-rc1
  • Initial Release Candidate

Jaded's Blue Planet Complete
v1.3.2

Blue Planet Complete with:
Jaded's HD Radar Icons
MjnMixael's Mainhalls (for FS Blue)

Change Log
  • Now requires FSO 22.2.0
  • Now requires the soyakaze package of MJN's Mainhalls. This mainhall is used for the SOC loop in FSBlue, a detail I had simply missed somehow.

• Now requires FSO 22.1.0-20220507 (I normally wouldn't require a nightly build, but the controls change and confusion necessitates it in this case. This is the same nightly BP 3.0 requires.)
  • Mods updated:
    • Blue Planet Complete ~3.0.3
    • Freespace Upgrade MediaVPs ~4.5.1
    • Mjn's Mainhalls ~1.4.8
    • (Removed) GOTY Mission Pack

• Added MJN's Mainhalls (at long last!). Only needed for FS Blue and only available for the Aquitaine at this time.
  • Now targets engine version 20.0.0 and newer in game_settings.tbl. Cannot target 21.0 due to depreciated call in one of BPC's scripts.
    • Manually implemented changes that would be present if 21.0 was targeted version. Results in many changes (improvements?) to gameplay which you can read about here.

• BugFix: Was still depending on HD Radar Icons - Silhoettes. Fixed.

• Gold status achieved!
  • Main hall mod for aquitane in FSBlue still not included. Needs an update to MediaVPs which is waiting on FSO 21.4.0... I've decided not to wait because big changes are coming in my radar icons and hud mk2 mods.
  • Uses lafiel's hud icons v21.9.1 which fixes a crash bug in some campaigns (but not this one).

1.0.0-rc5
  • Increased BPC dependency to use BPC ~1.1.5 which includes a fix for sound table parsing errors. Currently only affects recent nightlies but would have been an issue in FSO 21.1.0.
  • Known Issues:
    • Mjn's Mainhalls have too many files and cause FSO to error out when combined with the other mods in this pack. As Mjn's Mainhalls are only used for the Aquitane mainhall in the FS Blue campaign,
      I am leaving Mjn's Mainhalls out of the pack until either the number of files in it are reduced or the FSO devs raise the file limit in the engine.

1.0.0-rc4
  • Swapped Axem's parseconfig script for the one used by blueplanet complete. Apparently they are different. This should solve the issue with FSO crashing when viewing the Database (fiction viewer) in-game.
  • Known Issues:
    • Mjn's Mainhalls have too many files and cause FSO to error out when combined with the other mods in this pack. As Mjn's Mainhalls are only used for the Aquitane mainhall in the FS Blue campaign,
      I am leaving Mjn's Mainhalls out of the pack until either the number of files in it are reduced or the FSO devs raise the file limit in the engine.

1.0.0-rc2
  • Offset Hud Icons have been fixed thanks to an addition made by Lafiel to his script at my request.
  • Known Issues:

1.0.0-rc1
  • Known Issues:
    • Some ships have their hud icons offset from the actual ship itself. A fix is forthcoming.

Jaded's Derelict
v1.3.1

Derelict with:
MjnMixael's Mainhalls
Jaded's HD Radar Icons

Change Log
  • Mods updated:
    • Mjn's Mainhalls ~1.4.8

• Now targets engine version 21.0.0 and newer in game_settings.tbl. This results in many changes (improvements?) to gameplay which you can read about here.

• Gold status achieved!
  • Reverted mainhalls dependency changes from RC3 as they didn't help.

1.0.0-rc3

1.0.0-rc2
  • Added HD Aquitane main hall to appropriate missions in campaign file.

1.0.0-rc1

Jaded's Silent Threat: Reborn
v1.0.1

Silent Threat: Reborn with:
Freespace Port MediaVPs
MjnMixael's Mainhalls
Jaded's HD Radar Icons

Change Log
  • Mods updated:
    • Freespace Port MediaVPs ~4.6.0
    • Mjn's Mainhalls ~1.4.8

• Initial Release.
  • Has feature parity with current Jaded's FSPort (1.3.0)

Explanation: Why Mod Packs?
I currently have two modder's resources in the asset release forum. Both are also on Knossos. The way I prefer these resources be used is to be included as a dependency in mods via Knossos. This allows updates to the resources i have released to be easily (though not necessarily automatically) propagated to mods using them. This is different from how modder's resources have been used in the past where they were directly included as a part of the mod. Much could be written about the pros and cons of each approach. I don't especially discourage mod makers from using the old approach but I like my way and think the pros outweigh the cons.

That said, there are still cons. And Knossos in it's current form has some... quirks. Among them being a troubled dependency resolution system. To alleviate this I don't specify exact versions/packages of dependencies in modder's resources I upload to Nebula unless absolutely necessary... which in turn means that trying to run the modder resources I've uploaded directly from Knossos doesn't really work. So what happens when someone wants to try out HD Hud Mk2? Well... they can't... not without making their own mod that depends on it.

On top of that, many of these modder's resources start out as solutions to problems found in existing mods... a better hud for FS2 that works in BluePlanet Complete... radar icons that account for craft added in a new campaign. Etc. These mods I'm essentially patching are already released and often no longer in development... so my modder's resources aren't going to get included in them any time soon. So how do I get these "mod patches" to end users?

The solution is mod packs... mods that add nothing new but use dependencies to combine mods together in a single pack which can be launched from Knossos.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 10:17:15 pm by jadeddragoon »

Instantly klicked on "Install", it tells me that "FSO" is missing. Which is not.

Ideas?

Which mod pack are you installing? FSPort?

BPComplete and Derelict. Both of those regular mods are already installed, so are all mediavps.

Somehow, the version of FSO the packs were pinned to had been changed to the newest nightly. I'm guessing you have your stability setting in Knossos set to the default... which is RC (Release Candidate). 100% sure I had them set to a release candidate before... but here we are.

I've changed the FSO dependency settings for those two to target FSO 21.0.0 and re-uploaded the metadata. If you refresh your Knossos mod list/restart Knossos it should be possible for you to download them now.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:27:57 pm by jadeddragoon »

Now it tells me that HD Radar Icons are missing. Teste with BP only

yeah, it's telling me the same thing, can't play the mod cause it crashes, cause of hd icons

Sorry about the slow response. Valheim got its claws into me pretty good.

This issue was a bug in a recent release of the radar icons script resulting from changes Lafiel made at my request (whoops). It was actually fixed over a week ago now. You should only have to update the Radaricons Script mod in Knossos and the modpacks should automatically switch to using the fixed version.

Hope that helps. And, if not, let me know. I'll make a point to keep a closer eye on this thread from here on.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 03:35:12 pm by jadeddragoon »

When I try launching your mod collection from Knossos, it says there is no executable found for this mod. What would I need to do to get this to work? Thx.

[attachment deleted to save space]

Choose "MOD default" in the settings

Choose "MOD default" in the settings
I checked the FSO settings and its on Mod default... Still no executable found.

Then chose 21

When I try launching your mod collection from Knossos, it says there is no executable found for this mod. What would I need to do to get this to work? Thx.

This looks like a bug in Knossos that I have unwittingly stepped in. Apparently, MJN's Mainhalls must be fully installed even if you only need one mainhall. At least, that's the information I was able to find on the subject. Why that would create this specific error is beyond me. And this one is a bit difficult for me to test.

I'll change the dependencies on the mod in the next release candidate. For now, manually selecting FSO 21.0 should fix the issue.

No, not here, still that error message. I also reinstalled BP from that modpack and installed all released HD radar icons separately. No effect

Hmm... okay just to be entirely certain. From the mod page in knossos for the pack in question you went `Options` > `FSO Settings`  and set the `FSO Build` to `FSO 21.0.0`? And it still says no executable?

If so, could you go into knossos' settings, expand the `Knossos` section, change your `prefered engine stability` to `nightlies`, check `show engine builds in mod list`, save the settings, and then look for the "FSO" mod and install the latest version of that. Then see if it works? It shouldn't be requiring a nightly build but... knossos is a bit fickle about stuff. I may need to manually edit the mod.json for the next release candidate. This should tell me if that's the case.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 11:31:58 am by jadeddragoon »

i was here looking for answers to this question as well, im having the same exact issue

Hmm... okay just to be entirely certain. From the mod page in knossos for the pack in question you went `Options` > `FSO Settings`  and set the `FSO Build` to `FSO 21.0.0`? And it still says no executable?

If so, could you go into knossos' settings, expand the `Knossos` section, change your `prefered engine stability` to `nightlies`, check `show engine builds in mod list`, save the settings, and then look for the "FSO" mod and install the latest version of that. Then see if it works? It shouldn't be requiring a nightly build but... knossos is a bit fickle about stuff. I may need to manually edit the mod.json for the next release candidate. This should tell me if that's the case.

i tried all this, and still has no executable error, these were my settings like you recommended, feel free to message me, i can give  you my email there if you would like me to send any logs over or want me to check it, i can get on every evening just about.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 07:24:43 pm by teejaycrunk »

Okay. Just to be clear, that's not the location I'm talking about when I say "set the FSO version for the modpack to 21.0."  That one is for general defaults. It's not specific to any one mod. Here, this is what I was talking about...

This info is outdated. The above should fix the issue.

Also, in regards to allowing nightlies and show engine builds (and only necessary if you are doing that)... With that done, make sure you also update FSO as per:

If neither of these are solving the problem then, frankly, I'm at a loss. I'd suggest seeking help from #knossos on discord or the official knossos thread on these forums. I'd be very interested in the solution they come up with.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 04:48:59 pm by jadeddragoon »

If neither of these are solving the problem then, frankly, I'm at a loss. I'd suggest seeking help from #knossos on discord or the official knossos thread on these forums. I'd be very interested in the solution they come up with.

so going through and reinstalling the mod and ALL of the extras with it even if they have already been installed, i was able to run the freespace2 campaign with the updated visuals, and great job man, now im having issues with this on the blue planet complete. i made sure to install ALL of the files that were available for this install. and i havnt played yet, im just worried about issues. and if this is normal or if i should be informing the mods for blue planet about the issue to possibly get help if its needed.

i really appreciate your work with the mods, i wish i was able to do these things as well. i think it would be fun to tinker with