Author Topic: Freespace-IP-Group  (Read 3699 times)

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Hi All!

This might be old news, but I have just stumbled upon a group that is looking to acquire the FreeSpace IP, with the view to *I think* making an official FS3. They have a group on Discord called the Freespace-IP-Group.

I have technically joined it, because 'why not' (and to see what's going on) but I have yet to engage with it.

Any thoughts? Anyone on here part of it? If they were to be successful, how would this affect us?

Advice pls and discuss...
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Are they a bunch of bitter HLP vets seeking the ultimate revenge against those who have wronged them

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Does this group have any internet presence besides a discord server/group? A cursory internet search doesn't turn up anything about it but this post.

New owners of the Freespace IP could conceivably be very good, or very bad, for this community. Non-comerciality is not actually a legal defense against copyright infringement(it can help, but it's a small piece) and most if not all mods besides the stand-alones could easily be C&Ded and DMCAed if sufficiently ****ty people took control. On the other hand, if sufficiently cool people took control they might be able to free the SCP from some of the more murky and shaky bits of the license FSO is ultimately built on, and maybe open more doors besides. If they got all the relevant rights anyway, I wouldn't be surprised it they were scattered between different entities right now.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well so far i only know the reddit presence.

Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

If Derek Smart couldn't do it I don't expect a few randos on discord to do it :P

Sounds like the person who brought it up on Discord a day or two ago, I encouraged him to make a post on this forum about it but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Talked to the guy. He's a college student who, in my estimation, has no real plans and no relevant expertise.

It's kinda telling how nonexistant commercial interest in FS is when the most serious person to talk about it is Derek Smart.....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
They won't succeed.

And even if they did, nothing would happen because making an "official" FS3 is an undertaking many a project here already attempted and failed at (minus the official part but my point still stands)

It's just idle chatter that will affect nothing. Pretending that it will is at best extremely optimistic and at worst outright ignorant of the circumstances.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I hope nobody has any doubts. This endeavour will not bring us FS3, and in fact it should not to.
I hope that it's obvious community consensus, that any continuation developed by different people then original :v: team will not be viable continuation and would be considered spin-off or non-canon, just like all of the fanmade mods.

But...

If those guys somehow manage to purchase the license, the possible field of exploration is enormous. Judging by their discord content, they are fans. Just like us.

I mean, c'mon! Why everything developed on legal FS IP must be FS3? All the small-scale, spin-off projects like Deserts of Kharak would be possible, including commercial market. I personally would be interested in making full game projects, based on FS IP. In the age of all kinds of reboots, the very fact that a project is based on almost-forgotten IP can be good selling point, if advertised properly.

I make a blind bet, that those guys are not DS-level asshats, but my imperative guess is that nothing will happen and IP will stay forever in limbo. Still let's keep that little spark of hope alive for a while, and see if anything happen.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I hope nobody has any doubts. This endeavour will not bring us FS3, and in fact it should not to.
I hope that it's obvious community consensus, that any continuation developed by different people then original :v: team will not be viable continuation and would be considered spin-off or non-canon, just like all of the fanmade mods.

To be honest, even if there was an official FS3 made by Volition/Deep Silver today I bet half the community would consider it non-canon. I don't even know what FS3 would look like today. It would be unrecognizable from the old games, and likely worse than many of the custom campaigns or games with a bigger budget like Star Wars Squadrons. The only thing the IP is good for at this point is to prevent legal threats (or create them, depending on who buys it).

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
To be honest, even if there was an official FS3 made by Volition/Deep Silver today I bet half the community would consider it non-canon. I don't even know what FS3 would look like today. It would be unrecognizable from the old games, and likely worse than many of the custom campaigns or games with a bigger budget like Star Wars Squadrons. The only thing the IP is good for at this point is to prevent legal threats (or create them, depending on who buys it).

This ^^^ is also my opinion of the topic.

I 100% Agree.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I mean Overload was pretty good.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Overload was great but it really just had to get the core gameplay right to be a worthy Descent sequel. Any FS3 would be much larger in scope and harder to do properly, and would have tough competition from the custom FS2 campaigns. Many of the other Kickstarter-backed sequels to old games have been disappointing.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 07:39:45 pm by CP5670 »

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
The idea of Freespace 3 is nothing but a rope to hang yourself by.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline starlord

True, but the IP in the hands of the community would be ideal from a legal point of view, effectively giving us carte blanche regarding mods, and anything FS related.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Overload was great but it really just had to get the core gameplay right to be a worthy Descent sequel. Any FS3 would be much larger in scope and harder to do properly, and would have tough competition from the custom FS2 campaigns. Many of the other Kickstarter-backed sequels to old games have been disappointing.

I'd take FreeSpace 2 plus some new gameplay stuff (probably a progression system) with a Jason Scott story. Why not? It wouldn't replace anything HLP has made and it'd be neat to play.

Offline Kie99

If some consortium of known and trusted people from here were to purchase the IP for the community then maybe there's something you can do with that, but I'd be much less enthusiastic about some unknown figure or group.  We don't know what they'll do with it, they might view us as the competition.  They might close modding down, the game might flop and they might try to recoup their investment by licensing usage of the IP, or coming to us for a one time fee.  Community like this could probably raise a decent amount of money to stay alive.

These might be slim possibilities, but I'd rather let sleeping dogs lie.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"