Poll

Which version would you like FSU to carry? Please watch the video below before voting.

Current version
Proposed version

Author Topic: Subspace Vortex Poll  (Read 5678 times)

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: Subspace Vortex Poll
Have to admit, that I liked the original proposal much more.  :blah:

But well... actually that whole thread seems actually pointless for me in the end. Where was the point in it if the proposal was not even final? :confused:
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Ok, I’d like to change my vote from the ASW effect to the newest version. The effect in the Hecate animation looks really good!
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Have to admit, that I liked the original proposal much more.  :blah:

But well... actually that whole thread seems actually pointless for me in the end. Where was the point in it if the proposal was not even final? :confused:
Situation evolved quite rapidly and Gamma decided to redesign his warpmap again after the poll being declared. His new product vastly differs from older version [proposed in the poll]. The poll eventually fulfilled completely different purpose, and provided Gamma with feedback essential for current version to happen, and as it's quality contribution of the community supported by general feedback, we decided that it meets expectations of the FSU.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline AV8R

While I really like the new subspace animations and how they are reversible (moving inward for going into subspace and moving outward for exiting subspace), if I had a only one criticism about it, it would be this: I don't like the central aperture itself (the white area in the center of the subspace animation which represents the event horizon or "hole" into subspace) which to me is not large enough for the ships passing through it, causing most of the outer parts of the ship to disappear/reappear in the blueish moving periphery of the subspace aperture - which to me looks less convincing (a little fake). The older spinning subspace animation that was in use for so long had a much larger white aperture that allowed any ship passing through to have all of the outer parts ship appear/disappear into the white "hole" in space which visually made more sense.

Like I said, don't get me wrong, I like the new animation; the fact that's it's reversible and that it looks more like the original retail animation. But the too-small central aperture is a bit of an immersion breaker.  :(

I prefer the proposed one that looks closer to retail version, currently.

Another suggestion could be to reduce the amount of flat white circle in the spiral version, as to me that is distracting and reduces the grandeur of the ship that is entering//exiting it.
Perhaps there could be a middle ground considering some see the original one has too little white space ;p

Edit : Looks like I should have read page 2. That one looks really nice, the colour is not too purple, not too cyan

That's definitely the one for me.

Seconded, it looks great but it doesn't lose the vibe of the original.

Thirded - Gamma's proposals nail the nostalgia of retail, and the May 8 variant adds extra detail to feel fresh.
However, I agree with AV8R. The bright center needs to encompass the ship's furthest edges.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 10:38:57 am by Gregster2k »

The older spinning subspace animation that was in use for so long had a much larger white aperture that allowed any ship passing through to have all of the outer parts ship appear/disappear into the white "hole" in space which visually made more sense.

I agree. I like the new animation (although I would prefer an option to choose between the current and new animations), but I believe it needs a larger central aperture. The current animation has a large blindingly-white center which makes it look like the ships are actually exiting or entering a portal, whereas the current one feels more like a homeworld-ish effect where the ship just materializes out of a 2D plane.

The new effect with the current effect's white center would be perfect for me personally.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
100% agree
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline 5thAce

Looks pretty good! Reminds me of the wormhole in Deep Space Nine