Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 148064 times)

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
Grr... this is getting frustrating.  :(
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Assuming we get it working, what level are we going to do? Tombz of Destruction is fun, Glass House, a standard D2 level?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
There is something wrong with the newer versions. I tried hosting games in 1.6.58 off three different computers, but I get an immediate CTD / windows error in every case when the level loads up and it enters the game. I am getting the same behavior in the slightly older 1.6.41 version I have. Maybe there is something wrong with my d2x.ini file.

I tried the old 1.5.21 version that watsisname sent me a while ago instead. It gets past that point and I can see the game off another connection, but can't join it for some reason. (it doesn't get past the "connecting" message)

I think we need to acquire one of the "good" versions that previously worked for us in order to get anywhere with this, although I have no idea exactly which ones we used.

Offline Ulala

Maybe k22rxrx or whatever his name was would have some answers? I tried creating a game using version 1.5.121, although it's not a fresh install. I just copied the .zip from whatshisname into my d2x folder. It called me a cheater, but still let me create a game. Anyone see it?

Okay, bad idea. I'll fresh re-install tonight.  :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 12:55:05 am by Ulala »
I am a revolutionary.

Offline watsisname

Hmm... I'm not entirely sure about the details of it, but would Kali be another viable option for us?
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Ulala

Ehh, what now?
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Try 1.6.61

Offline Ulala

Where can I get it?
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality

Offline UFO2020

Hi guys! I haven't played D2 in years but I'm looking for some D2 multiplayer action now. I have 1.6.61 ready to go. So what's happenin' man?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
ATM, problem  after problem

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Well, we haven't really been able to get any of the newer versions working. From just looking at the earlier posts in this thread, it looks like the last time we actually got a game going was back in early March. It might be worth asking on DBB to see if anyone still has a version from that period.

I am going to do a clean install of the game and see if those CTDs go away, as they apparently are not occurring for everyone.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Setup a game when your done, just leave it up if it's late where you are, I'll tell you if I see it (also with a clean install).

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I actually got it working several times using the old 1.5.121 version, both on my local network and on another connection. The recent versions are all very unstable in multiplayer; some maps give the instant crashes and divide by zero errors when the host starts up a game, while other maps work fine at first but crash (on both computers) when another player tries to join. The newest versions also have that bug with the incompatible version message that you mentioned.

I think our best bet is to use 1.5.121 and try different values for the packets/second setting. It seems to be much more stable than the newer ones and was the only one that actually worked for me.

I'm going to run a 1.5.121 game off my other computer for the next few hours. The IP is 69.138.167.250 with the usual port 28342. Try joining it at some point using 1.5.121 and see if it lets you get in. You may need to try several times for it to fully work. I have uploaded 1.5.121 here, in case you don't have it:
http://home.comcast.net/~cp5670/d2x-xl.zip
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 12:17:51 am by CP5670 »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I see it, when I try and join the "connecting" window comes up and stays up, I don't know if that's supposed to happen or not. BTW, you do mean 1.5.121 don't you... I'll try again with the file you uploaded

Nevermind, now it gives me a "Failed to join the netgame. You are missing packets. Check your network card and try again.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 12:15:59 am by Mars »

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
uh, yeah that's supposed to be 1.5.121. :o Sorry for the confusion.

I got both of those issues a few times, but it eventually worked if I just kept trying it.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
It works!!

Now that that works, we should schedual a new one... maybe next weekend? I can stay up late then, and not be doing HW.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 12:36:24 am by Mars »

Offline Ulala

Finally got something working. Need to use the older build 1.5.121, and CP5670 is hosting a server. I've uploaded a zip of all the files needed to play in his server. Just extract them to a folder and run the d2x-xl executable and you're good to go.

Find the file here: http://oregonstate.edu/~cornelic/CPs%20D2X-XL.zip

Go to multiplayer, join udp/ip game.

Quote from CP about his game:

The IP is 69.138.167.250 with the usual port 28342.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I was TNT cause I didn't really expect to get in, I can't play tonight cause'a homwork, I'm just hoping we can all do this again.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Now that we have this working again, how about we schedule something next weekend instead? (during the week would work too, if anyone else is free)