Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 425182 times)

Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.14.1 (combined launcher/installer)
I've tried doing that, but it still doesn't display any mods to download.

After a clean start, it does take a short time to download the list of mods.  Be patient for that.

Woo Hoo it's fixed Knossos 0.14.3 tested on Linux Xubuntu 20.04 the mods list is back  :lol:

Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.14.3 (combined launcher/installer)
OMG I HAVE FINALLY SUCCESSFULLY BUILT KNOSSOS!!!  MUAAHAHAHAHA I AM TOTES A 1337H@X0RDUD3 NAO!

^___ the above is totally sarcasm.  I'm old, and I suck at Linux. But it feels mighty nice to finally have managed to do something right, though!  A very hearty thank you to anagram and praseodym for their invaluable instructions!

Unfortunately, I still am getting weird errors when I try to install certain mods.  Between the Ashes, Friends and Foes, among others are giving me the following:
Code: [Select]
A critical error occurred! Knossos might not work correctly until you restart it.
The error has been reported and will hopefully be fixed soon.
If you want to help, report this bug on our Discord channel, in the HLP thread or on GitHub. Just click a button below to open the relevant page.
I'm going to guess this is a Linux Mint thing because that was happening even with the 0.13.1 Knossos that ngld packaged months ago.  Which stinks, but I have a Windows 10 install I can play on.  It just is on an old spinny-type hard drive instead of the solid state one Linux is on, so it runs a bit slower.  That's fine.  Not being able to figure out how to build current (unpackaged) versions of Knossos in Linux was driving me batty, and finally being able to scratch that particular itch feels wonderful!  I'm still pretty much a useless leach as far as this community is concerned, but I'm now one step closer to usefulness in a bug testing capacity.

Thanks all!
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
You'll have to update your semantic_version package. Did you use pipenv to install the Python dependencies? IIRC it installs the correct version. I'm pretty sure this is the error you saw:

ValueError: Invalid requirement specification: '~4.2.3-'
  File "knossos/web.py", line 296, in install
    windows.ModInstallWindow(mod, pkgs)
  File "knossos/windows.py", line 661, in __init__
    self.show_packages()
  File "knossos/windows.py", line 679, in show_packages
    all_pkgs = center.mods.process_pkg_selection(pkgs)
  File "knossos/repo.py", line 336, in process_pkg_selection
    deps = pkg.resolve_deps()
  File "knossos/repo.py", line 733, in resolve_deps
    version = util.Spec.from_version(dep.get('version', '*') or '*')
  File "knossos/util.py", line 931, in from_version
    return Spec(version)
  File "semantic_version/base.py", line 449, in __init__
    subspecs = [self.parse(spec) for spec in specs_strings]
  File "semantic_version/base.py", line 449, in <listcomp>
    subspecs = [self.parse(spec) for spec in specs_strings]
  File "knossos/util.py", line 919, in parse
    res.append(semantic_version.SpecItem(spec_text))
  File "semantic_version/base.py", line 393, in __init__
    kind, spec = self.parse(requirement_string)
  File "semantic_version/base.py", line 408, in parse
    raise ValueError("Invalid requirement specification: %r" % requirement_string)
You should be able to see the same error in your log (either on the terminal or ~/.config/knossos/log.txt).

SQUEE!!! HE'S BACK!

I think I just peed a little.

I'm in windows right now, but I'll take a look at that log next time I'm using my Linux system.  Thanks and welcome back!

EDIT: And Knossos 0.14.3 is working flawlessly on Windows 10. :yes:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 08:50:07 pm by perihelion »
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

I can confirm that Knossos 0.14.3 works properly for me on Windows 7.

Offline mj3437

How do I update Knossos?

Offline mj3437

Never mind.

Hi there,

I came back to Freespace2 after a long break.
This new way to manage the mods and launch the game looks great. Thanks guys for continuing the work after all these years.  :)

A question about the OS supported. I'm currently running Debian buster, I tried to install Knossos using the Ubuntu procedure, but this is not working.
Do you know if there is a way to install and run Knossos on Debian ?

Thanks !

IMHO the best solution would be a snap, flatpack, or appimage.  That way the developer or maintainer of the package only has to target one build and it works on all distros.  Since I was able to build from source on xubuntu 20.04, I have attempted to figure out how to package it as a snap, but it is way over my head  as mostly a normie.  I did go ahead and request it be made a snap at snapcraft.io

Offline Zarax

Is there any guide on how to properly make mods from scratch for knossos? My google-fu is failing me.
The Best is Yet to Come

I don't recall ever seeing a guide, but here are the basics (to the best of my recollection, I'm not at home right now) :
- You can create mods in the "Development" tab
- Mods are divided in "packages", each with their own data folder structure, eg. whereas an old mod would look like :
<FSO>/MyMod/data/missions
a Knossos mod will look like :
<FSO>/MyMod/MyCorePackage/data/missions
- Packages can be required, recommended, or optional
- You can add dependencies for other mods on a per-package basis (iirc), eg. make your core package depend on the MediaVPs, or any other mod

Offline Zarax

Hmm, I think modding FS2 changed a lot in the last years...
Do you mind giving me a few links to some updated modding guides?
The package dependencies are intriguing and for sure more efficient than copy-pasting from tbl files....
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I think that's what X3NO means; open Knossos and press the "Develop" tab at the top of the window - it has links to a mod creation guide for Knossos as well as an online version of the FRED2 documentation included with FS2.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Is there any guide on how to properly make mods from scratch for knossos? My google-fu is failing me.

There is a guide in the first post of this very thread. :)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oHq1YRc1eXbCgW-NqqKo1-6N_myfZzoBdwZuP16XImA/edit?pli=1#

Offline Zarax

Thanks, I don't know how I missed the obvious spot.
The Best is Yet to Come

I have a challenge here under Ubuntu 20.04. When running Herkie's Aftermath TBG with Knossos 0.14.1 the game crashes after some minues with wrong colors using 3.8.0 and 19.0.0, seems some VGA stuff?! Card is NVIDIA 1030 with 440. Now I tried compiling 3.7.4 here as Herkie recommended in the release thread, but the game only starts in Window mode (renamed 3.7.4 to 3.8.0.AppImage) and shows "wrong resolution", but it is the correct one. How to fix that? Command line errors from "ninja run" are

Starting mod "The Aftermath Reboot II" with cmdline "['-orbradar', '-ship_choice_3d', '-3dshockwave', '-soft_particles', '-fxaa', '-fb_explosions', '-enable_shadows', '-dualscanlines', '-targetinfo', '-rearm_timer', '-ballistic_gauge', '-weapon_choice_3d', '-3dwarp', '-warp_flash', '-missile_lighting', '-post_process', '-no_deferred', '-noscalevid', '-mod', 'AftermathReboot2-1.0.0,AftermathReboot-1.1.0,MVPS-3.7.2', '-parse_cmdline_only']" and tool "/home/oliver/FS2/bin/FSO-3.8.0-3/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64.AppImage".
INFO:Thread-19:runner.run: Launching FS2: ['/home/oliver/FS2/bin/FSO-3.8.0-3/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64.AppImage', '-orbradar', '-ship_choice_3d', '-3dshockwave', '-soft_particles', '-fxaa', '-fb_explosions', '-enable_shadows', '-dualscanlines', '-targetinfo', '-rearm_timer', '-ballistic_gauge', '-weapon_choice_3d', '-3dwarp', '-warp_flash', '-missile_lighting', '-post_process', '-no_deferred', '-noscalevid', '-mod', 'AftermathReboot2-1.0.0,AftermathReboot-1.1.0,MVPS-3.7.2', '-parse_cmdline_only'] in /home/oliver/FS2/FS2
AL lib: (EE) ALCpulsePlayback_streamStateCallback: Received stream failure!
I haven't compiled the respective DEBUG build yet, maybe you guys find something or have an idea

THX

Hey guys

I'm having an issue with Knossos. Loaded up my computer today and whenever I go to start a game from Knossos I get a brief second of "FSO is launching" up in the top bar and then nothing happens. has this happened to anyone else and if so how did you fix it?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Hey guys

I'm having an issue with Knossos. Loaded up my computer today and whenever I go to start a game from Knossos I get a brief second of "FSO is launching" up in the top bar and then nothing happens. has this happened to anyone else and if so how did you fix it?

Double check your joystick selection is valid.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays