Author Topic: 3D "real world" scale node map  (Read 11593 times)

Offline Arcanum

3D "real world" scale node map
Something I felt like starting on.  Might turn out that distances just don't work out, but what the hell.  Distances should be proportional, and angular seperation as viewed from Sol should be correct.  Go figure as to why the hell the only jump node from Sol is/was to a system 210 light years away.

*braces for the NooBeam Cannon* :shaking:

Re: 3D "real world" scale node map
:welcome:

Welcome to HLP!  :yes: :yes: :yes:

Keep all body parts within the station at all times, because outgassing is rather painful. Do be sure to make use of the holy water-filled flamethrowers underneath all seats, in case of emergencies. If stronger weapons are required, ask a mod, admin, or our resident hyperintelligent shade of blue to open the secure lockers, which contain plasma rifles and shotguns. Keep a weather eye out for Carl in the vents: he doesn't suffer intruders easily, though a lunch thrown to him might placate him long enough to let you escape. Thank you and enjoy your stay! :yes2:  8) :yes:

Very cool opening project. Actual star distances taken into account... good idea.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Excellent work! :yes: This is something many people would love to have as a reference.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
First of all, this is an excellent idea. :yes:

Go figure as to why the hell the only jump node from Sol is/was to a system 210 light years away.

Because if it was closer, the pilots couldn't have had time to destroy the SSD Lucifer's reactors in time and the Earth had been destroyed. :D

Actually I think it's supposed to emphatize the fact how subspace is so alien compared to normal space that conventional distances have absolutely no meaning there, and jump nodes form more or less randomly between two star systems that can be wide apart. Go figure, perhaps the :v: was more interesting in mythology than creating scentifically logical game about space war. ;7
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Excellent work! :yes: This is something many people would love to have as a reference.

I wholeheartedly agree. :nod:

although I'm seeing a bit of trouble, though it could just be paranoia. I'm seeing a bunch of these star systems farther than Delta Serpentis as tiny little blips in my head. just my thought. :)

Go figure as to why the hell the only jump node from Sol is/was to a system 210 light years away.

Because if it was closer, the pilots couldn't have had time to destroy the SSD Lucifer's reactors in time and the Earth had been destroyed. :D

Actually I think it's supposed to emphatize the fact how subspace is so alien compared to normal space that conventional distances have absolutely no meaning there, and jump nodes form more or less randomly between two star systems that can be wide apart. Go figure, perhaps the :v: was more interesting in mythology than creating scentifically logical game about space war. ;7

Less **** to hurt our brains with. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project

Can you make this for Beta Aquilae-Rigel?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Something I felt like starting on.  Might turn out that distances just don't work out, but what the hell.  Distances should be proportional, and angular seperation as viewed from Sol should be correct.  Go figure as to why the hell the only jump node from Sol is/was to a system 210 light years away.

Excellent. I've been using sources like the Internet Stellar Database for things like this but I've never really had to time to get a map and stick the node on it.

This is definitely something I'd like to see :yes:

The fact that it would stop people insisting that the node map is accurate when viewed from a certain angle is just a nice bonus :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

:)  Well, subspace is an area of non-relativistic physics anyways, IIRC, and 'distance' may (I say may, it seems to certain it is) be a very different concept there.... like the difference between travelling across the surface of a block of swiss cheese versus travelling through airholes and tunnels in it.  I think it's reasonably safe to say the subspace nodemap should be viewed in the same was as a London Underground map when it comes to actual spacial location.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Thats the first time 've seen a Noob brace for impact :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
By the way, if someone is interested, I made up a "London Underground" style nodemap on excel. File attached. IMHO it indeed clears the picture quite a bit.  :)

Arcanum, do you know how to convers sphere co-ordinates into cartesian co-ordinates? Because if you do, you can simply convert the locations of real stars into xyz-co-ordinates from declination, right ascension and distance. You can use equatorial co-ordinates because the distance between Sol and Earth is so small that you can approximate Sol and Earth to exist in same location.

If you don't know how, I can tell you. It's not really very complicated. In fact, since I have spare time, I tell anyway, even if you already know how to do it... :lol: Read if you want to.

Stellar locations are announced in spherical co-ordinates fixed to equator plane of Earth and Vernal Equinox (or Aries point).

Right Ascension (RA or Ra) tells us in which direction of the equatorial plane the object is. It is announced in hours, minutes and seconds, because of historical reasons as well as producing convenient calculations if local time is involved.

The right ascension zero point is fixed into Equinox; that's the point where RA co-ordinate has value 00h 00min 00.00sec. The point in the opposite direction has RA value of 12h 00min 00.00sec, and so on. To convert RA values into degrees, we define how much one hour, one minute and one second equal in degrees:

1 h = 360 degrees / 24 h = 15 degrees
1 minute = 15 degrees / 60 min = 0.25 degrees
1 second = 0.25 degrees / 60 s = 1/240 degrees

Declination (DE or Dec) announces the angle in which the star's direction elevates from equatorial plane. Declination is announced in degrees, arc minutes and arc seconds. But these minutes and seconds aren't the same minutes and seconds used in a clock... A minute in this context is 1/60 degrees, and correspondingly a second is 1/3600 degrees.

For example, Polaris has Dec value of nearly 90 degrees. An object near the equatorial plane would have Dec value of ~0 degrees. Objects on northern hemisphere of sky have positive declination, objects on southern side have negative declination.

Now that we know what RA and Dec values are and how they are used, let's take an example of how to convert RA, Dec and distance into cartesian co-ordinate values.

First of all, we point z-axis to north pole (near Polaris). X-axis we point at the Equinox point. Y axis is pointed so that it is normal to both x and z axes, and so that the co-ordinate system used is right-handed (default in modelling programs). I recommend using light years as units, they are rather convenient in this kind of task.

Okay, now how do we convert RA/Dec/Distance into convenient xyz co-ordinates?

When we have converted RA and Dec values into decimal degree values, we define the cartesian xyz co-ordinates with the help of these two angles and known distance S.

x = S * cos RA
y = S * sin RA
z = S * cos DE

Really simple, isn't it? This gives the exact co-ordinates of the star in an XYZ system used in all modelling programs, for exampl. Just throw a star object onto the program, feed in these values and the object is automatically moved into correct location. ;)

Example.

Beta Aquilae has following co-ordinates:
Right ascension   19h 55m 18.8s
Declination   +06° 24′ 24″
Distance 44.7 light years

First we have to convert RA and Dec values into simple, decimalic degree values to more easily calculate them.

As shown before, it goes like this:

RA = 19 * 15 degrees + 55 * 0.25 degrees + 18.8/240 degrees = 285 + 13.75 + 0,07833... degrees = 298,8283 degrees = ~298,8 degrees
Dec = 6 degrees + 24/60 degrees + 24/3600 degrees = 6,4067 degrees = ~6,4 degrees

x = S * cos RA = 44.7 ly * cos 298,8 deg = ~ 21.53 ly
y = S * sin RA = 44.7 ly * sin 298,8 deg = ~ -39,17 ly (note the negative value, it is important to remember to put it in...)
z = S * sin DE = 44.7 ly * sin 6.4 deg = ~ 4,98 ly

x = 21.53
y = -39,17
z = 4,98

These are the co-ordinates of Beta Aquilae. Convert all the other existing star co-ordinates in similar fashion and you get an accurate model of relative locations of stars.

:cool:

[attachment deleted by admin]
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You know, this reminds me of a FRED mission someone posted ages ago that had all the stars represented as Pharos buoys.  It didn't have the jump node lines, and it wasn't particularly pretty, but it let you see the relative positions.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
May this beam give you a jolt to make you work faster:

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
I am going to kill you.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Angry Angry Hippos, Fun for all the family  :lol: :lol:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
You too.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Great now i've incited Water-Horse vengeance,. . . . . . My life is at an end :(

*HELP ME I@VE GOT A WATER HORSE MAD !!*

*runs and hides behind Aldo and Krajorma*  :lol:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Arcanum

:D

Off the screen lower left from Beta Aquilae is Antares, at 600 lys, and off the upper left Deneb, at 3200 ly
(There seems to be some disagreement in the astronomic community as to the precise distance to Deneb.  I saw values ranging from 1600 ly to a whopping 7400, which is nearly a third of the distance to the center of the galaxy.  I opted to use the value at wikipedia.)

And for kicks:

The sphere is the center of the galaxy, 26,000 ly away.  The circle represents Sol's galactic orbit.

Offline Dysko

ROSS 128 IS SO NEAR???????  :shaking:

Should I start worrying?  :nervous:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Not unless the Shivans know how to generate a Sol-Ross 128 jump corridor...  :nervous:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Inferno campaign idea spawns....