Author Topic: Adding the campaign list  (Read 7097 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
-C

Offline Axem

Re: Adding the campaign list
I still don't like the single character legend. :p

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Good start.

Though would it be better to use the page like this http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Portal:User-made_Campaigns ask.. well.. portal to several separate campaign list pages like 'Pre-Great War Era Campaigns' and 'Great War Era Campaigns' or something. That is there are quite a few campaign so i kinda believe that adding every one into a single page won't be practical.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline WMCoolmon

I still don't like the single character legend. :p

I like it, and I got here first, so :p.

But srsly, it's a wiki, so I figure if enough people dislike it, it'll get changed to something else.

Good start.

Though would it be better to use the page like this http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Portal:User-made_Campaigns ask.. well.. portal to several separate campaign list pages like 'Pre-Great War Era Campaigns' and 'Great War Era Campaigns' or something. That is there are quite a few campaign so i kinda believe that adding every one into a single page won't be practical.

My understanding was that everybody generally agreed that a full list was better than the current campaign list, which has the campaigns broken up into categories. I tried to browse that one once, to find a bit of campaign information, and found it utterly worthless. It took me 15 minutes to click through the entire thing, when I could have simply done a 10-second text search if it was all one page. I still couldn't find the campaign I wanted to look up, but I didn't know if that was because it wasn't there or I had simply missed it.

Having the campaigns in two or more lists raises the problem of updating. It's already been a hassle to get people to update the wiki, and I don't plan on updating the list further. People will not update the list if they need specialized knowledge of where they need to update; so one list makes it that much easier. Plus, we already talked about this, and I think it's important to get the ball rolling (and keep it rolling!). At the point that it gets too large, it can be split up and put on multiple pages.

That being said, the portal does look nice. To me, it looks like a good way to list important or classic campaigns to get people started. There's no reason to risk somebody being put off because they chose the Second Great War Part II as their first campaign to play, rather than Derelict.
-C

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Should we use the discussion page of the list instead? I posted some feedback there :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline rbxplayer

• A bit tight with RL at the moment
More people asking for a campaign time line...
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,51514.0/topicseen.html

A past discussion on the issue...
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,28755.0.html

I suggest that the new list should be based on a timeline irrelevant of whether the campaign is WIP or released.
Ijja l-mewt li taghmilna bnedmin jew l-imhabba?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I'm more thinking like classifying the campaigns into groups like Pre Great War Era, Great War Era, Post Great War Era, FreeSpace 2 Era, Post FreeSpace 2 Era and then within its group using alphabetic ordering.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm more thinking like classifying the campaigns into groups like Pre Great War Era, Great War Era, Post Great War Era, FreeSpace 2 Era, Post FreeSpace 2 Era and then within its group using alphabetic ordering.
Exactly.  IMHO this is the only way that makes sense, as nearly every user-made campaign is incompatible, story-wise, with nearly every other.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
So.. what descriptors (or qualities or values) ought to be considered important? And how should they be depicted (sp?)

From these we have
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Sandbox
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Campaign_List

From these we have type of release..
  • Type of release
  • Requirements - AFAIK like FS Open
  • Number of missions
  • Author
  • Download link
  • Voice Acting info
  • Requirment of mod folder - IMHO no real need for this one.. one can always use mod.ini files
  • Notification that mod requires additional downlods - IMHO covered in 'requirements section'
  • Cutscene info

Should there be something else?
Should one or more of those be removed?
Should the existing info be shown in some different manner (like instead of single letter abbreviations use something like seen in the sandbox example or something? Small identifying images like tags?
Comments?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I like the way they're organised by time-frame. I tend to agree that it's the only way that makes sense. As for the others fields,

Not too sure about author - What do you do when it's a team effort? Putting down just the team leader doesn't seem that fair. Maybe leaving the entry blank for mods with more than one author would work.
 Number of missions, Download link, Voice Acting info - absolutely. Maybe a little voice icon for voice acted missions (Even a little icon that simply says "Voice" looks better than the V.

For requirements I'd suggest drawing a line and categorising into three groups

• Works in retail
  • Works in 3.6.9/3.6.10
  • Unknown

That way we avoid the nonsense of having people download campaigns that don't work (like COW for instance) and it's more future proof. It also makes it easy for people to suggest what the restoration team should fix next. Once we have 3.6.11 and 3.7 releases we can add groups/icons for them.

We should definitely include any extra mods required in the requirements section.

That's all I've got for now.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline WMCoolmon

Exactly.  IMHO this is the only way that makes sense, as nearly every user-made campaign is incompatible, story-wise, with nearly every other.

What usefulness does alphabetical order serve? If you're searching for a specific campaign, you can always do a text-search for all or part of the name (if you don't remember it all). It doesn't matter if they're incompatible; the time that campaigns happen is a fairly common thing to be specified (vaguely or specifically) in campaigns based in the freespace universe. It does have effects on the plot. Realistically, a campaign set immediately after the destruction of the Lucifer will be dealing with mop-ups or infighting etc, while a campaign set 30 years later will be dealing with the NTF. A campaign set immediately after Capella will also be dealing mop-ups and infighting, but 20-30 years later, dealing with the opening of the Knossos.

You can group them all into different groups, but we're very limited by what's in the Freespace universe. What would we call a campaign set 100 years after Capella? Post-post-post Second Great War? :p Or we could just stick it at the bottom of the list and note the time period.

I don't like the new categories. Not only are they inaccurate (Transcend and Derelict did not occur during Freespace 2, STL is listed in the same section as the port although it occurs immediately afterwards), but they also require further explanation. Everybody is going to use Freespace 1 and Freespace 2 as reference points. We basically have 3 points of reference that everybody knows: Now, Freespace 1, and Freespace 2. Campaigns happen among one of these 3. They're canon and indisputable. We could add something like "Discovery of subspace", but then you'd have people going back to the techroom to figure out when that was. Plus, even total FS newbies will understand "Present Day".

Let the descriptions handle the timeframe IMHO. In the end, even though all FS campaigns establish a time in relation to FS or FS2, it doesn't necessarily matter to the plot.

So.. what descriptors (or qualities or values) ought to be considered important? And how should they be depicted (sp?)

Should there be something else?
Should one or more of those be removed?
Should the existing info be shown in some different manner (like instead of single letter abbreviations use something like seen in the sandbox example or something? Small identifying images like tags?
Comments?

My initial suggestion for the "V" and "M" letters was to have an icon for them, but nobody seemed willing or able to come up with a replacement. "Yes" and "No" would be more confusing once you scrolled past the captions at the top of the list, which will happen no matter how you break the campaigns up. I initially thought that the "Notification that the mod requires additional downloads" field was supposed to mean that the campaign provided additional mods, because required mods were already specified in the "Requirements" section.

• Works in retail
  • Works in 3.6.9/3.6.10
  • Unknown

That way we avoid the nonsense of having people download campaigns that don't work (like COW for instance) and it's more future proof. It also makes it easy for people to suggest what the restoration team should fix next. Once we have 3.6.11 and 3.7 releases we can add groups/icons for them.

There should really only be two categories, "SCP (current version)" and "Retail", since SCP is supposed to be backwards compatible. Frankly, the current version seems more idiot-proof than splitting them up into lists. Someone who sees them split up might think that you can only play retail on retail, and SCP on SCP. With the current list, if the requirement is simply retail, they see "Freespace 2". Well, of course they have that! Then they see "FS2_Open". Well, what's that? They click the link and find out. Or, they see "Inferno", and install FS2_Open. The only way for them to screw up is if they completely ignore the field (and, granted, every time you idiot-proof something, somebody builds a better idiot).

My Comments

Frankly I'm annoyed because it seems like everybody is putting less thought into this than I did when I uploaded the list. "Downloads" has been moved over to the left, when I had it on the far right so that it was easy to see and click. You read all the information from left to right and then you're ready to make your decision.

But I'm also annoyed because all of the suggestions that people are coming up with is to break the list up. A list that has a grand total of six campaigns. :p At this stage, there is no reason to break the list up into anything, it's barely even a list. Splitting it up will only make it harder for people to add campaigns, and that is what's hardest to get done around here. Everybody is willing to play critic and come up with their own way to tweak the campaign list into something that seems better, and we could do this forever, but nobody is willing to just get it done.

Also, I consider the campaign list on HLP to be absolutely unusable precisely because somebody attempted to split it up in a way that makes sense - to them. But it clearly doesn't work for finding a campaign that you know the name to, and it doesn't really work for browsing to find a campaign that you want to play, and in the end that's what matters (IMHO). Nobody who frequents the FREDding forum is going to care how this list looks. The people who see this list will be playing the game for the first time, they won't know what all the different eras are, they won't know what the different mods are, they'll just see a campaign that looks interesting and want to play it.

Having them ordered from past at the top to the present at the bottom is an order that makes sense to anybody who's seen a vertical timeline. It gives them a clear visual point of reference of whether a campaign is temporally close or temporally distant to Freespace 1 or 2. The release tells them whether they can play it. The requirements tell them how long it will take for them to get it. The number of missions tell them how big an investment it's going to be. The author lets them group quality campaigns from crap campaigns and pick an author whose FREDding and story style that they like. The notes let them see things that are useful to know but don't need to be explained further than "Yes" or "No". The description gives them an idea of what the campaign will be like (BoE conflicts, or guerilla fighting, or spec ops, etc). And the "Download" link lets them go directly to where they can get the campaign, rather than spending a half hour poking through a wiki that they're not familiar with or a forum that they're not familiar with to get the campaign.

So...that is my rationale for what was up there.
-C

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

• Works in retail
  • Works in 3.6.9/3.6.10
  • Unknown

There should really only be two categories, "SCP (current version)" and "Retail", since SCP is supposed to be backwards compatible. Frankly, the current version seems more idiot-proof than splitting them up into lists. Someone who sees them split up might think that you can only play retail on retail, and SCP on SCP. With the current list, if the requirement is simply retail, they see "Freespace 2". Well, of course they have that! Then they see "FS2_Open". Well, what's that? They click the link and find out. Or, they see "Inferno", and install FS2_Open. The only way for them to screw up is if they completely ignore the field (and, granted, every time you idiot-proof something, somebody builds a better idiot).

Lets see if I can explain more clearly. The bit where it currently says SCP or retail should say Retail, Unknown/untested or an SCP Version number. If it doesn't you will get people downloading campaigns like CoW which don't work with the current version of the SCP and then complaining that it doesn't work.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline WMCoolmon

That makes more sense. Chiefly I was objecting to the statements about splitting things up.
-C

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Frankly I'm annoyed because it seems like everybody is putting less thought into this than I did when I uploaded the list.
That's what happens when you have a wiki with a large number of contributors.  Design-by-committee produces stuff like Master of Orion 3. :p

Anyway, I'm in favor of the timeline approach, but I prefer a timeline split into the major time categories -- T-V war, Great War, Reconstruction, Capella-Era, Post-Capella.  Just like the old campaign page is arranged now.

The reason I prefer the large-granularity timeline (four or five general epochs) as opposed to small-granularity timeline (every campaign is placed in chronological order) is because a small-granularity timeline is meaningless.  There are no common plot threads shared among the various campaigns except for the overarching general epoch.  And there are no common plot developments that allow a person to say that event X happened before event Y.  For example, Awakenings, chronologically, takes place after Shrouding the Light.  Does that mean Awakenings is a sequel to STL?  No.  In fact, Awakenings describes certain events that STL assumes has already happened!

Furthermore, there are a ton of campaigns that take place during or immediately after the Capella incursion.  How are we supposed to order them?  They all take place during 2367, but we don't know anything more than that.  Anything other than an alphabetical listing would be arbitrary.

"Downloads" has been moved over to the left, when I had it on the far right so that it was easy to see and click. You read all the information from left to right and then you're ready to make your decision.
I would recommend getting rid of the downloads column altogether, and just make the user click through to the project page if he wants to download it.  For one thing, there may be multiple mirrors of a campaign, and we don't want to list all of them.  For another, one or more of the mirrors may not work.  And for a third, if a person becomes interested in a campaign, we want him to read its project page.  What better way to do that than require him to click on it to find its download link(s)? :)

Offline rbxplayer

Goober, eh you think as a programmer, ie a different human species altogether... LOL

I have these discussions with the IT guys at work all the time... You cannot assume that all visitors will be interested in the project pages. Many new visitors will be hooked to Freespace only after playing a couple of user made campaigns... eg myself... ;)

ie.
1) Make it easy for the newbie to access the Freespace wiki page with the list of campaigns by making it available on the main page of the Hard-light website

2) Make it easy for a newbie to download the mission and play it, ie if a mod.ini is missing make sure it is part of the download.  Then, once the newbies will get hold of it, they will start to look and project campaigns and even suggest ways to help out you IT geniuses to come out with new mods.

On average a new visitor takes 3 sec to decide if is worth spending the next 5 seconds on the newly visited website. This means that the process of introducing new freespace fans should be really easy and straightforward. Then, once your are hooked, it is difficult for you not to try and help in some way... and these visitors will then spend much of there precious time visiting the forums and project pages...

Offline WMCoolmon

Yeah. I, personally, find the idea of trying to manipulate people into reading the project pages by intentionally obscuring the download links rather disrespectful to the people looking this stuff up. It's not like they can't get to the project pages if they want to, and it can be a pain to find download links. Taking them to a page where they can select from a list of mirrors or even a direct link to the download site is a much better solution than forcing them to sort through volumes of inconsistent text, possibly download the wrong thing, or get frustrated and leave because they can't find the download link or don't think it's worth it.

We are in no position to make people work harder to get what they want, when we as a collective community don't care enough about new members to even host a decent website or up-to-date screenshots page. HLP is very much a cult community right now; there's no reason to make it even more so.

Not to mention that if people have an easier time downloading multiple campaigns, they're more likely to try more and find something they like.
-C

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:wtf: Rbxplayer, I'm thinking as an admin -- one who has a vested interest in promoting the FreeSpace community and in enhancing the quality of the FreeSpace wiki.

The entire point of the campaign list is to present the available campaigns in a succinct and logical way so that the curious user can make the best possible decision about which one to play.  That requires presenting the necessary information, and only the necessary information, in the proper format.  We've already come to a decision about the format; that was in the other thread.  Now we're trying to decide about which information is necessary.

Some things are unquestionably necessary: the name of the campaign, for example, plus a short description.  Some are highly desireable, such as a short list of prerequisites (e.g. FS1, the SCP, a certain mod) and features (e.g. voice acting).  In my opinion, one of the things that is not necessary is a download link, for the reasons stated above.  For most of the other features (e.g. authors) I agree with the other posters here.

Now, to address your points specifically:

1) The wiki is already accessible on the top navbar of every single page on HLP, including the main page of the Hard Light website.

2) Including the proper information in a campaign download (a readme, a mod.ini, a list of requirements such as mediaVPs) is the responsibility of the campaign designer.  The wiki editors neither have the ability nor the time to police every single site where users have uploaded campaigns. :rolleyes:  This sort of thing is better reserved for the comments section on the campaign or project page.  If the campaign does a poor job of explaining prerequisites, it will get a poor rating, which will in turn encourage casual users to turn their attention elsewhere.

3) (your last paragraph) You should really think about applying that same logic to the wiki.  A casual user browsing the campaign list is going to take 3 seconds to decide whether it's worth spending 5 seconds reading the campaign page.  He is not going to wait 15 minutes downloading the campaign, plus another 30 minutes trying to get it to work, before making his decision.  And what if he accidentally downloads Second Great War Part II?  He's very likely going to leave and never come back.  That is what the campaign page is for.  That is the sort of information that can't fit in the table.

Sorry for the verbal smackdown, but I don't like it when people adopt condescending attitudes in arguments. :)

EDIT: WMC, most of this applies to your argument too.  Removing the download link from the table is not manipulating people into reading the project page; far from it.  It is encouraging them to find out more about the campaign and not make a snap decision that may not be ideal.

EDIT2: Also, WMC, we have (that is, Tolwyn has) been working on a new version of the main page for quite some time now.  It just isn't ready to go yet. :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 09:33:22 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline WMCoolmon

EDIT: WMC, most of this applies to your argument too.  Removing the download link from the table is not manipulating people into reading the project page; far from it.  It is encouraging them to find out more about the campaign and not make a snap decision that may not be ideal.

Who are we to dictate to people how they ought to make their decisions and how much consideration they ought to give their choices? If they want to make a snap decision because the campaign says "Blaise Russell", I can't say I blame them. :p Ditto if they want to download all the campaigns for a TC because there's only a few. It's not near as much trouble for the person who's adding the campaign as it will be for somebody completely unfamiliar with the campaign.

For that matter, we may not want them to dig much deeper. The campaign pages may not get attention and the forum threads will be very disorganized, it doesn't look nearly as neat and well-done as having everything in a neat list.

So overall, I think that the risk is bigger if the link isn't there than if it is. First, it's easier to blame us if they had to search to get it. Secondly, if they spent the effort of searching through the wiki page and through the forum post and actually read them and download the campaign and it turns out to be crappy - they'll be more frustrated than if they hadn't spent all that effort to get it in the first place.

If you're concerned about somebody downloading a campaign that we all agree is not very well done and judging the rest of the campaigns by that one, maybe we should add a "Campaign classic" or "Editor's choice" (:p) awards so people have a starting point.

EDIT2: Also, WMC, we have (that is, Tolwyn has) been working on a new version of the main page for quite some time now.  It just isn't ready to go yet. :)

Excellent. :)

2) Including the proper information in a campaign download (a readme, a mod.ini, a list of requirements such as mediaVPs) is the responsibility of the campaign designer.  The wiki editors neither have the ability nor the time to police every single site where users have uploaded campaigns. :rolleyes:  This sort of thing is better reserved for the comments section on the campaign or project page.  If the campaign does a poor job of explaining prerequisites, it will get a poor rating, which will in turn encourage casual users to turn their attention elsewhere.

I think it should be strongly encouraged for all campaign downloads in the wiki to be properly set up so that all one has to do is extract it to their Freespace 2 folder (+ mod.ini). Maybe we could compromise here by providing a download link only for campaigns that do meet this criteria.

We haven't even discussed ratings yet, and I know that's going to be a hard pill for people to swallow because the wiki is generally used for objective information. We also shouldn't rely on people who are from the community to judge a campaign based on its ease of setup rather than its plot and storyline. To somebody already in the community, it may be child's play to set up everything even if it's strewn about the zip file. To somebody just starting out, it may be an impossible barrier.

Regardless, the tools are there to make a proper campaign package, and it benefits everybody for campaigns to be properly set up. Linux has had this sort of BS for ages with all kind of software packages that forced you to go through the command line to ever install them, and many distributions are intentionally ditching this model precisely because it alienates people.

In the end, if the campaign is good enough, somebody will make a friendly-package version. If it isn't, nobody will, and you have the same effect as the ratings system.
-C

Offline rbxplayer

Goober, I was only joking about the programmer way of thinking... sorry if I was too direct... I really appreciate the input of guys like yourself.

I really suggest you read 'Don't make me think'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Make_Me_Think

The basic conclusion is that everything should be straightforward and easy to grasp so that there are more people out there who get hooked on Freespace. :)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
thx for including my Fortune Hunters, but could you change the "a small campaign for TBP" description to something more meaningful? If you have not played it, here are some ideas:

- First episode of the retelling of the B5 TV show from a Raider/Mercanary point of view
- Season 2 of Babylon 5...       ...through the eyes of a Raider captain!

Otherwise, great work. And the list even looks great!!! Keep it coming  :)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.