Author Topic: Windows 11 upgrade, now "Current Campaign Cannot Be found" OR no launch at all  (Read 1339 times)

Windows 11 upgrade, now "Current Campaign Cannot Be found" OR no launch at all
When I go to campaign room there are no campaigns listed. The first time I ran this, my pilot wasn't there but then he showed up on subsequent boots.

https://pastebin.com/k7sQ6EK7
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 01:23:28 pm by Heinrich »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Windows 11 upgrade, now "Current Campaign Cannot Be found"
This indicates that it's tring to open the FS1 campaign but can't find it:

Code: [Select]
Got event GS_EVENT_CAMPAIGN_ROOM (54) in state GS_STATE_MAIN_MENU (1)
Wokka!  Error opening file (freespace.fc2)!
Error parsing 'freespace.fc2'
Error message = Failed to open file.

Do you have any game_setiings.tbl or -mod.tbm files hanging around in your installation?

Re: Windows 11 upgrade, now "Current Campaign Cannot Be found"
I don't see either file in either c:/users/xxxxx or c:/program files (x86)/knossos/

I was able to fix this by going into one of the other mods I think it was mjnMixael's HD Mainhalls and then selecting FS2 Campaign.

But that was yesterday.

Today I'm back to the familiar no-launch, screen just quickly flashes. Sometimes I fix that by going into main settings (gear in upper right) and choosing Global Flags / FSO Build and hitting v22 and saving. But not today. I'm back to no launching at all.

I can probably fix this with an uninstall / reinstall. I'm sure it will last a day if I'm lucky.

Re: Windows 11 upgrade, now "Current Campaign Cannot Be found" OR no launch at all
Uninstall / reinstall no change. No launch. After uninstall again I deleted C:Games/FreespaceOpen, C:/Program Files (X86)/Knossos and the stuff from C:/users/documents/appdata and THEN i crawed through the registry and deleted anything that says Knosssos. Maybe I should delete anything in there that says FSOPEN.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Windows 11 upgrade, now "Current Campaign Cannot Be found" OR no launch at all
I'm really not sure what could be going on.  Could you post another log file?

I think there are problems with split-drive installs. I had KNOSSOS on C: and my retail files on E:.

There is data also between

appdata/local/knossos/*.*

and

appdata/roaming/HardLightProductions
appdata/roaming/knossos/*.*

Once I cleaned all those directories out (manually deleting, an uninstall leaves lots of files) and reinstalled all to C:/ so far I've not had any problems

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ah, glad to hear it :)

Offline neoterran

Knossos also had issues for me after I upgraded to Windows 11.

Although to be frank, I might have caused them myself, not sure, and just blamed it on the windows 11 upgrade.

I uninstalled everything (no registry editing required tho) and reinstalled, and created a brand new pilot. I also had issues with the joystick that I fixed by just remapping everything to joystick "1" now, even tho it reports joystick "0" as the joystick name in the FSO options between mouse and joystick, and it's working. I guess that had something to do with the multijoy support in FSO 22.0 but I didn't really want to get into editing and giving json flag files or anything so maybe it's still screwed up but I got the joystick working on my pilot so that's all I care about.

Oh also some mods think the joystick is joystick 0 and some think it's joystick 1. Lol. I guess that's because of some things use Freespace port vs freespace 2 ? It makes me have to use a different profile for each I guess. It works but I do wonder... is this actually better than before ? hmmm.

Then there's the issues where Jaded's modpack installed stuff for freespace port but it didn't actually install everything right so I had to modify the freespace port and the mainhalls stuff again, thanks to his animated gif that saved some consternation.

There's there's the other random issues with knossos like it stops working sometimes when you press play, I just restart it when that happens. At least it works better on windows than on mac where all kinds of bizzarre stuff would happen (I set up boot camp just to play old games like this so yeah...I know mac support is dead now)

I would hate to be a random person off the street trying to install this for the first time, theres so many areas where it can go wrong, it tries my patience sometimes, but it's better than the old days of hand editing mod.inis I guess lol.

Everything working atm, I hope I don't have to do it again.

Loving those mod packs jaded, I wish you would do a few more, I guess inferno doesn't need it but it would be cool for Sol a History or a few of the others that are around the MediaVPS 3.8 standard that could do with a few of the latest and greatest touch ups like the radar icons and the hud radar stuff.

I may have to get a PC in the future when this iMac 2017 kicks the bucket in order to still play the windows stuff. The move to apple silicon will kill bootcamp and support for it eventually. It was a risk even upgrading to windows 11 (Also I had to turn off the secure boot crap to get it installed too... so yeah... but 11 is nicer than 10 so I had to try)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 10:49:51 pm by neoterran »
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"