General FreeSpace > FreeSpace Discussion

Ranking campaigns by difficulty

(1/3) > >>

Assassin714:
I've seen people do this kind of thing for other games like Doom, so how would you rank the various (canon and fanmade) Freespace campaigns in order of difficulty? Either in terms of average mission difficulty or overall difficulty of completing the campaign

- Freespace 1
- FSPort
- Silent Threat
- Silent Threat: Reborn
- Freespace 2
- Operation Templar
- Derelict
- Sync
- Transcend
- Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius
- Blue Planet: War in Heaven
- Blue Planet: Chanticleer
- Homesick
- Ancient - Shivan War
- Unification War
- Trimurti
- INFR1
- Inferno: Nostos
- Sol: A History
- The Aeos Affair
- Vassago's Dirge
- Windmills
- The Scroll of Atankharzim
- Second Great War Part 2
- Blackwater Operations
- Between the Ashes
- The Procycon Insurgency

Or any others?

CT27:
In no particular order here are some of the campaigns I've played that I would rank their overall difficulty as at least 'above average'.  (Just to be clear, I'm not saying that campaigns I don't list here don't have individual hard missions...just that overall I didn't find them on the harder side of things).  The campaigns I list here I found to (IMO) have enough hard missions and general difficulty to say I found them on the more difficult side of things.

Series Resurrecta
Shadow Genesis
Between The Ashes
Unification War
Vassago's Dirge
The Procyon Insurgency (from what I read on this forum the creator was thinking about an update to lower the difficulty slightly)
Aftermath 2:  The Blue Guardian (though the current version is noticeably less difficult than its initial release)

Goober5000:
Aeos Affair is advertised as being difficult, but I didn't find it as difficult as, for example, Procyon Insurgency.

I suspect that you might find a correlation where campaigns released later in time are more difficult than campaigns released earlier.

ShivanSlayer:

--- Quote from: Goober5000 on January 08, 2024, 07:30:13 pm ---Aeos Affair is advertised as being difficult, but I didn't find it as difficult as, for example, Procyon Insurgency.

I suspect that you might find a correlation where campaigns released later in time are more difficult than campaigns released earlier.

--- End quote ---
Aeos Affair is hard at first until you learn the right calls to make in each mission, then it becomes pretty fun

CT27:
Goober, since you're here and we're talking about campaign difficulty...

When classifying Scroll's difficulty, my opinion is that overall it's a medium/standard difficulty (not too easy, but not too hard either) campaign.  Would you say that's a fair assessment and what you intended Scroll to be?

(With the exception of the "Special Forces branch"...the difficulty of that IMO is above average/slightly higher than the overall rest of the campaign)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version