Author Topic: About ships from Wing Commander 1  (Read 9649 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
About ships from Wing Commander 1
I was just wondering that do you have (or know where to get) models for the classic WC1 designs for FSO? I mean the likes of Ralari, Bengal, Scimitar, Raptor, Hornet and Exeter (and the rest of the lot like Jalthi, Krant....). Or are at least some of these going to be included in your hopefully forthcoming release?

I thought this might be the best place to ask. I liked the old WC1 very much (played it with Amiga ages ago) and i would really like to get my hands on those models. Heh, i even grabbed the mp3s of the WC1 and changed the WC1 briefing track to play instead of the FS briefing musics...
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I don't know of any WC1 models for FSO. Their are some in Unkown Enemy and Standoff but that is the Vision engine.
Also their might be some models around at CIC community but nothing that I know of beeing converted for FSO.
Well their was once a mod that tried to make WC1 but I don't know what happend to it. Beside that it looked realy bad.

For us, we are momentarly aming for the WC3 timeline so their won't be WC1 ships.
Still different people of the mod have plans on doing other timelines when the main campain is finished.
So even if its not done now their is still a chance that is gets done in the future.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, I have a very pretty hornet ready for freespace ( I think it's from Tolwyn's 3D-Site, but I'm not sure).

Maybe we make it a give-away in one of the upcoming releases, though I'm not sure about that :)

Wasn't their a guy some time back, which made a WC  => FS2-Mod all by himself in the WC1-Timeline ?
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Yes that is the guy I meant...the last time I had seen something from him it looked like it was build out of lego instead of polys ^_^

PS: Yes I forgot about the Hornet...we had it in their for testing some time ago.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Thanks for the info. I think i can enjoy the WC3 age ships (after their release) before the oldies make their cameback, if they ever do it.

I'll be waiting for your release... Be it either the 'plain' Wing Commander Saga or WCS with some 'bonus' models. Judging by the screenshots you are doing awesome job :yes:.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga

We hope it won't take so long anymore, but there is still much to  do. Also it would be faster, if we wouldn't overdue with all the features we create :D
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline aipz

• War,war never changes...
quote:
Also it would be faster, if we wouldn't overdue with all the features we create

Ah, those Perfectionists :)
"Another fellow pilot"

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Going back to the classic WC1 ships would be fantastic.  However, I'd rather see them done from scratch or using other models as reference and then put together by the lovely modeling and texturing people that comprise the WC: Saga team than trying to hammer together several separate models that may or may not be optimized for the FS engine.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
IMO it would require some massive changes to the models to make them look good in a highres enviroment, and this would cause some troubles, trust me.

And using old style models would look really stupid. It's o.k. having coloured blocks flying in a 320x240 engine, but in higher resolution they simple wouldn't look good.

Of course, that's really only my opinion. I was always focused on pretty graphics, and don't have the same nostalgic feeling about the old WC-games like other people might have (though I really like their story).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 12:42:29 pm by 1072 »
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
For all of their low resolution blockyness...there was a lot of conveyed sense of detail and depth to them.  They certainly had style and color when most games of the type were much less detailed.

I think, given a proper amount of respect for the original shapes and designs plus a decent level of artistic license...you could create convincing high-res and high detail models.

It'd please me nothing more than to run a squadron of Rapiers out infront of a Exeter destroyer and be ambushed by Kilrathi fighters.
- IceFire

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
If anyone in the Wing Commander world had the artistic ability to do this, I think it would be the WCSaga team. But then again, Standoff had some of this too, and I think it looks pretty good.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Re: About ships from Wing Commander 1
If anyone in the Wing Commander world had the artistic ability to do this, I think it would be the WCSaga team. But then again, Standoff had some of this too, and I think it looks pretty good.
I did see some of their work and it was ok...I never really got into it.

The WC: Saga guys I have complete faith in...when they get around to it.  They are quite busy doing some neat things with the WC3 era stuff that is all very impressive.
- IceFire

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I saw a few renders of high poly WC1 ships that an artist made that looked better in fact than the WC movie ships. (though I'd make the colors a little more subdued in saturation and add even more wear and tear on the ships)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
That would be Howard's Day Hornet. If we could bring the poly count a bit down (it is around 60k) it should be possible to convert it with the max plugin
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
Problem would be that having one high detailed model while the others aren't of that quality would look strange to me.
Still it would be something nice to have as an addon/easteregg.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Not to mention that due to the hornets gunplacement  and the current code it wouldn't be usable to be a player ship. :(
You wouldn't simply be able to aim something with both guns at once (btw, still a problem with our excalibur too).
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
I thought it was possible to "direct" the gunpoints so that it wouldn't be a big problem.
One could change the guns position but then I am quite sure something will point out that its not canon.
Still would make the Hornet a even more difficulte fighter to fly ^_^

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
I thought it was possible to "direct" the gunpoints so that it wouldn't be a big problem.
One could change the guns position but then I am quite sure something will point out that its not canon.
Still would make the Hornet a even more difficulte fighter to fly ^_^
I'm not sure if they have coded gun convergence but I think that'd be the best way to deal with the Hornet in a modern game environment.  Honestly, if the people who hold canon that highly complain about a bit of convergence on the Hornet's lasers then they are really being completely moronic.

I'm all for patching up any glaring inconsistencies but thats just a whole other level :)

I think the Hornet would be a fun fighter to fly...it was always zippy and manueverable in WC1.  When we switched up to Scimitars for the first time I missed the Hornet.  I wasn't happy again till I was flying Rapiers although the Raptor was plenty fun too.
- IceFire

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
[I'm not sure if they have coded gun convergence

Well, according to my last bit of information there was a clear "no" from the SCP for laser convergence, which is quite sad cause it would be needed for the SW-Conversion also, otherwise it would be impossible to hit something with an X-Wing for example.

But maybe they (SCP) suprise me some day, like they did so often in the past (***holds fingers crossed***)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
[I'm not sure if they have coded gun convergence

Well, according to my last bit of information there was a clear "no" from the SCP for laser convergence, which is quite sad cause it would be needed for the SW-Conversion also, otherwise it would be impossible to hit something with an X-Wing for example.

But maybe they (SCP) suprise me some day, like they did so often in the past (***holds fingers crossed***)
I'm sure if its a needed feature we can convince someone to do something about it :)
- IceFire