Author Topic: About ships from Wing Commander 1  (Read 9650 times)

Offline Manic

Re: About ships from Wing Commander 1
Wouldn't it be possible to point the weapon hardpoints(hardcode in the model) to meet at a certain set point? I don't mean on-target, but at a given range, such as 4000m from the Hornet? It'd take some tweaking to get quite right, but i feel it'd be worth it... (plus, this is how fighters did it back in wwII, they adjusted each gun to intersect at a certain range, to maximise firepower... just makes sense to me, considering that WC didn't have point-n-spray until the excalibur... albeit, WC2 did have some minor convergence using itts...)
Forgive me if i missed the point entirely, it's 6 am.

Offline wuu

Ahh, with a relict like the hornet, only armed with two laser, two fire and forget rockets and one heat seeking missle, muhaha
I think it will be still funny to take a Dralthi IV with this down.

Off topic.

About mission design? I had One critic point about the wc saga. I-III that was sometimes the unbelievable and boring mission design.
You and one wingmen against a whole fleet and fighter :Y. My question is what can we expect about the mission design. A back to the road, only weapon (Rocket)wcIII load up or the lovely freespace squad and weapon design. I read about pilots on your wcsaga site, can we choice between pilots for the missions.

Before i forget i saw the trailer and i must say awesome work so far.
Der Freigeist

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Glad you like it :)

I don't want to spoil too much, but IMO our mission design is much more challenging and more realistic according to the old wc-games. Our very talented fiction/script-writers were able to create an impressive battle ambient (There should be a screenshot on our website showing a hole strike force, and we are going to create immense fleet battles, so R.I.P. CPU :D )

About you and your wingman alone against a carrier, you can forget about that in WC-Saga :) The AA-Fire is extremly deadly, and the carrier will launch all his fighters against you, and not a handful like in WC3. And it will not only launch 3 at the time (like XWA, the SD's were launching all their fighters, and that's something we will doing too. So, unlike Freespace 2 (not that I dislike it though) your wingmans are extremly important and you will have to protect them, otherwise you will not be able to win ( I take special care of that in the missions myself :) )

@Maniac : I had the idea once to create the gunmounts that way, but IMO freespace gunbanks are always firing straight forward. And even if that would be changed, there will be always the situation, were they will cross each others flight paths, so that the left bolt will fly to the right and so on. IMO XWA was much superior in this issue, but I'm also sure that the SCP-Guys will get this done sooner or later (keeps fingers crossed)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline wuu

@ Starman 01#

That's it I want to hear.  :D

And nice screenshots on your site. The fighter bay looks great.
Der Freigeist

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Wouldn't it be possible to point the weapon hardpoints(hardcode in the model) to meet at a certain set point? I don't mean on-target, but at a given range, such as 4000m from the Hornet? It'd take some tweaking to get quite right, but i feel it'd be worth it... (plus, this is how fighters did it back in wwII, they adjusted each gun to intersect at a certain range, to maximise firepower... just makes sense to me, considering that WC didn't have point-n-spray until the excalibur... albeit, WC2 did have some minor convergence using itts...)
Forgive me if i missed the point entirely, it's 6 am.
Thats basically just what I said :)

Its called gun convergence.  And yes it was used in WWII...albeit in a fairly complex way on some aircraft.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Ahh, with a relict like the hornet, only armed with two laser, two fire and forget rockets and one heat seeking missle, muhaha
I think it will be still funny to take a Dralthi IV with this down.

Off topic.

About mission design? I had One critic point about the wc saga. I-III that was sometimes the unbelievable and boring mission design.
You and one wingmen against a whole fleet and fighter :Y. My question is what can we expect about the mission design. A back to the road, only weapon (Rocket)wcIII load up or the lovely freespace squad and weapon design. I read about pilots on your wcsaga site, can we choice between pilots for the missions.

Before i forget i saw the trailer and i must say awesome work so far.
Without spoiling anything...I think its very safe to say that WC: Saga will not have just you and a wingman.  Its much more frenetic :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Selecting pilots like in WC where you click them in the Briefing won't be possible because of the way FS2 is build. Maybe some coder would be able to chance that, but then think about how much more work that would make. To get the story told you would have to design something similar to WC3 where you have for all the options you can select a different voice-actor at least...not speaking of any cutscene alternatives when wingman die and so on.

For flying with different Wingman...yes you will. Depending on the mission...like a small patroles...wouldn't be a complete squadron but more like you and one or two other wingman to big missions where you have a lot of wingman.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
I for one would love to see the old WC1 ships with updated textures (if it was possible and not too much of a problem). mayeb in the future someone will take that on.

Quick question.  Not about ships, but a weapon. Would the WC team mind if I wanted to use the old Plasma Cannon entry from the Alpha for TMP Trek Missiles? (These are NOT Photon Torpedoes as in that era they still used missile weapons as well!) I had been doing some experiemnts and someone recently reminded me about energized looking projectiles and I rememebred WC. I would either like to use it as is or as a base and tweak the look, but only IFyou guys would be ok with it. (I'm dying to show a pic of it in action!)

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I'm not fully sure what you mean. Which Alpha are you talking about, the aprils fools demo from 2004 ? Anything in there can certainly be used by everone :) Besides that, for the current release there will be nothing from WC1+2 in it, and if so, than only because the universe fiction demands it :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Thank you very much!

Actually the latest update I had was 8/11/2003 (If that was even an update)
Trashman and I are about to hit our 4 year HLP mark this Month...
Preview in the Trek thread now, I am just waiting on permission to show you the ship that just fired it!
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Wing Commander Pioneer from the CIC has some high-poly models of ships like the Hornet, Scimitar, Bengal, and Ralari. There's also a super-poly model someone made of the Raptor and Krant.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yes... and? :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Ummm hmmmm *whistles innocently*

Ok so their not exact copies of WC1/2 stuff.....  :nervous:  :D
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Yeah, I was about to say that more than half of them aren't 100% Canon.

Well...you could use them couldn't you...? I mean...the Venture's in it. Albeit modified in a small way.

Well apart from the scimitar (missing those thingies), seagul with that AWACS, the raptor and it's nicer cockpit and the jrathrek they aren't too off the mark.  :)
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I will admit though that your Bloodfang looks a lot better than the original... :D

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well...you could use them couldn't you...? I mean...the Venture's in it. Albeit modified in a small way.

Most of them aren't available yet. At least the sane versions for use in-game are not :) And, anyway, that's a bit off our timeline
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis