Author Topic: Release  (Read 12929 times)

Offline dragon1

Could you guys please release something? Anything would be fine, including models that can be fredded into user made missions.

It doesn't have to be perfect, something is always better than nothing.

Thanks

Well I've got 3 canon based fighters thats available for use.  That might help you while your waiting for them to release the real stuff  :)  [crossbow, vampire, pirhana] (unfortunately none from wc3 era, but the crossbow would probably still be in use at that time and the excalibur/thunderbolt are retrofits and not canon)
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline dragon1

Thanks, but it really isn't for me. My previous post is for all of us.

Some of us have been waiting for years with breathless anticipation for something other than screen shots.

I had once brought up realesing in a manner like the Babylon Project, and it was rejected (with a rather rude snub towards that project). I want to see this project succeed, I want to be able to write about just how cool it is, or how much like Wing Commander it is. All I am saying is that we need *something* to write and rave about. If the SAGA team is waiting for the project to be perfect, nothing will ever get released. So what if there are a few bugs, release a patch update later.

How about a demo prologue- 2-3 missions + 6 or so ships + minimal music and SFX + no voice acting and expansive animations?

I have supported Saga through and through, even when others have not, even when it was more convinient not to. I still want to support you guys.   

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Thanks, but it really isn't for me. My previous post is for all of us.

Some of us have been waiting for years with breathless anticipation for something other than screen shots.

I had once brought up realesing in a manner like the Babylon Project, and it was rejected (with a rather rude snub towards that project). I want to see this project succeed, I want to be able to write about just how cool it is, or how much like Wing Commander it is. All I am saying is that we need *something* to write and rave about. If the SAGA team is waiting for the project to be perfect, nothing will ever get released. So what if there are a few bugs, release a patch update later.

How about a demo prologue- 2-3 missions + 6 or so ships + minimal music and SFX + no voice acting and expansive animations?

I have supported Saga through and through, even when others have not, even when it was more convinient not to. I still want to support you guys.   
Being the former project leader for said project...it took us...mmm something like 4 years before we released anything ourselves.  So WC: Saga is doing quite the fine job of keeping up the tradition.  I'm sure they will have some offerings available prior to the finished product.  They are doing such a quality job...I don't think anyone will be disappointed.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Sphynx

Dragon,

I just wanted to make sure that it was clear is that what we are currently putting the spit and polish on right now is in fact a demo prologue campaign with 5 missions plus several simulator missions (which I find every bit as enjoyable as the campaign missions). As our progress reports have indicated, we are expecting a release fairly soon. I'm not at liberty to discuss exactly when, but it is coming in short order.

Also, as a sign of good faith to all of our fans (and as we mentioned in another thread), we will be releasing a model pack with ships that are ready to go in the SCP engine (but which are not being used in the prologue). That will be coming very soon indeed, and hopefully will help to satisfy a bit of that "thirst."

So, you shall indeed get your models, and the prologue campaign will not be too far behind. I hope this helps. :)
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
If the SAGA team is waiting for the project to be perfect, nothing will ever get released. So what if there are a few bugs, release a patch update later.

This is certainly a good point here, and often one of our problems. We already have to simply say NO now, even if we could do better. But on the other hand, in those years we build the game we all improved our skills in modelling, texturing and all the other stuff, so that we have overworked quite a lot of stuff in the past

Let me make a litte longer answer here, for you and all the other people still waiting, so you have an update what's going on :) I truly understand your feelings, I also hate it when I have to wait long for a new game to come out, or even hear that is has been delayed. Believe me, we would all be more than happy if we could release the game tomorrow, but we simply can't. I could bore you with a lot of reasons and technical explanations, but that wíll not make it come out quicker, i'm afraid.

In short form, we have decided to switch to the most recent available SCP-Version, since it has a lot improvements the old version we used didn't had. Those improvement directly influence the gameplay and the possibility for the mission building, so we decided to take on that step (Not to mention we had 2 unsolved problems with the old exe). However, we now have to upgrade quite some data, and still have a few technical difficulties (i.e. with the installer and a graphic problem). The other stuff is done, models, missions, graphics, voices etc.

In fact, that's why we decided to do the prologue first :) It has a little more stuff than what you have written above, but much less than the final game we are aiming for. However, after the prologue is done and we can build upon it, we hope that the next step will go faster. (And I also have to say up front, that I'm the one preventing us from doing a episode release later, I want to deliver a finished game.)

But once the prologue is done, people will be able to do their own missions, which will deliver people something to play away the waiting time :) Unfortunately we still cannot give an ETA yet. It will be this year, but when, we do not know exactly. We don't want to promise something, and will then be forced to brake it again because of something unexpectable happened.

We can only ask you people for a little more patience. Thanks :)

P.S. As for Sphynx's "fairly soon", like I said, we hope, but we can't promise :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Sphynx

Maybe I should just start saying "soon" always in quotations. :)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I keep telling everyone, (who would listen anyway), that we aim for Winter 2666 :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline dragon1

Thanks team for the responses. I still have faith in WC Saga, that is why I am here. I don't want to seem over critical or demanding. Just patiently waiting.

Offline Sphynx

No problem. I totally get how you are feeling. That's why I joined the team in the first place, I wanted to help them get it done so I could play it. :)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
And we are paying you enough. Now you can buy yourself a Ferrari :)

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Interesting, so why do I only get paid in food and rabatt-coupons ? :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Sphynx

Wow, a Ferrari. From what you are saying, I don't think your checks have made it to me for the last year. Could you send them again? :)

Offline Dishwasher

• Diplomat Extraordinaire
Lol if I see one more "fairly soon" I am going to smash my head into a wall :)
Live is Unfair, Kill yourself or get over it.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Look, there is a "fairly soon" on a wall behind you :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Sphynx

Oh, that's going to be messy. Somebody better call 911. :)

Offline Dingo

hey guys,

i'm just a little curious about this project. In fact, quite interested!  :nod:

Just recently my parents have sold their house, and i had to visit to help out. During the pack I discovered a few old boxes of mine. Inside one were copies of WC3 & 4 which I had played with compassion back in the 90s! I used to have all 1-4 but i must have lost the first two. I managed to find a guy on Ebay selling every WC game ever, so i'm gonna grab them all again.  :yes:

I loved the story line and the gameplay, which i really never found in any other space-sim released. I was never a fan of trading games, and I especially liked the film sections with Mark Hamill and crew.

How similar is this project going to be to the original games? with regards to story, characters, gameplay etc? 

The main thing that excites me will be playing a game so similar to the originals with the updated technologies we now have since 10 years ago.  :D I'm going to have to build dual-boot into my laptop to run the older games!  :ick:

I realise you guys are working on this project in your own time, and that will take time! And I found you mention a prologue release this year, but I would love to know if you have any idea when you'll be releasing the complete game. Do you think it will be next year? or the year after?  :confused:

Anyway, good work lads, and I eagerly await the release of WCS.  ;7

jammin.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
To answere some of your questions.
Similarities:

Gameplay ->
As close as possible to WC3 since the story will take place during that time. Their will be some little additions/changes because of the engine but basicly you can aspect to return to the good old WC3.

Characters ->
Well it should be logical that we don't have the budged to hire any of the original actors or others..beside haveing all the props and costums. They still might appear in the form of textmessages...maybe even some voiceacting extracted from WC3/4...we will see ^_^

Story ->
The story is fitting into the WC3 timeline but is still telling the story of other people. While Blair on board the Victory you will follow another path...let it be a surprise.

Tech ->
We will use whatever the coders do with their magic and what is possible for us to do...timewise and from our abilitys. Look at the newsupdate we post from time to time.

Releasedate ->
When its done ^_^
We hope to get it done till.........but who knows. I, for sure, won't say, ever, any releasedate again till I got the final version on my HD.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I am confident that we will be able to release the full game in winter 2666.

Cheers!

Tolwyn

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Dingo

thanks for the info!

@Tolwyn - I hope the powers that be bring out that anti-ageing technology soon then! 2666 is a little while off!  :shaking: