Author Topic: NEWS: Intel Update  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
In the heat of combat, knowledge can be the difference between life and death. Each pilot needs to know the capablities and limitations of all of his own equipment, as well as the those of his opponents. What better place to brush up on this vital information before a mission than in the tech room.

Wing Commander Saga features a tech room with information about all of the ships and weapons that the player will encounter, both friend and foe. In addition, the tech room will also serve as a location where new intelligence is shared with the player. Through the WC Saga campaign, new intelligence will become available as the player progresses. Keeping current on the hardware and intelligence in the combat theater will give players an edge in their desperate fight against the Kilrathi.

This week, we are happy to share some pictures of the WC Saga tech room with you:

« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 04:44:48 pm by Tolwyn »
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

faithful as all get out, and pretty too.  It just feels like the content isn't going to fill the page in this tech room.  Granted that's more the fault of the WC universe's limited canon than anything.  Beyond that, absolutely stellar work and thank you for an update!!!  As always, you guys do incredible work and I look forward to the day i can fly a hi-res Confed ship.  Cheers.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
It just feels like the content isn't going to fill the page in this tech room. 

Don't be so sure. :D

I can assure you, that in the main campaign (Codename: Hermes) there will be enough starships and starbases to fill the entire screen :)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Granted that's more the fault of the WC universe's limited canon than anything. 

No way! Theres tons of material on WC.

Ed

all i meant was at this point in the timeline we have 3 games and secret ops worth of ships... the 2 previous games' material won't be used (in any recognizable way) and as this takes place during the WC3 era... most of the other ships wouldn't be in service.

Is Saga creating original ships along with the ones we've seen in the past?  Are more ships getting pulled from other sources like novels (where did the Jutland come from anyway?!)?  Just curious, because i don't remember there being too much of a variety in the game by today's standards.  I'm not bashing anything by any means.  I thoroughly love the WC series and what Saga is doing is top-notch, kick-you-in-the-face, awesome.  Respek.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Their will be some ships like the Jutland that are inspired by the novels or other sources.
For example their are concept drawings that weren't used and we will use. At CIC they are diging up some models that where in the gamecode but not used/seen in the final game. We also think about useing some of this sources.
So basicly yes, their will be "new" designs but I don't want to mention them to early...maybe that something for another update ^_^
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline CaptJosh

Ok, I have to cry foul about the designation of the Spiculom as an IR missile with IR being said to equal Image Recognition. IR = Infrared. Always has. Always will. Calling an IR homer a heat seeker, as in the case of the Javelin is merely dumbing things down for the masses. Image recogniton for homing is a form of aspect seeking, in this case, visual aspect, as opposed to radar aspect for radar homers.

If Origin actually designated IR meaning Image Recognition in its Wing cammender games, then shame on them for it.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
That interface is Gorgeous................I am in a state of euphoria at seeing those pictures......
:yes2: 8) :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Sphynx

Ok, I have to cry foul about the designation of the Spiculom as an IR missile with IR being said to equal Image Recognition. IR = Infrared. Always has. Always will. Calling an IR homer a heat seeker, as in the case of the Javelin is merely dumbing things down for the masses. Image recogniton for homing is a form of aspect seeking, in this case, visual aspect, as opposed to radar aspect for radar homers.

I regret that this particular item grates on your nerves. You are correct about the initials IR. However, those are the initials that Chris Roberts chose for his Image Recognition missile, and since what we are doing is within the fictional universe he has created, we are obliged to follow the way he has done things.

Belive me, if we decided to call it something more techincally correct, the backlash would not be worth the accuracy! :) I hope you can just grit your teeth and bear it about this particular point. I know you're right, this is just the way we have to do it for the sake of the fictional universe we are writing for.

It is, after all, probably more pulp fiction than science fiction. Hence, little inaccuracies are typically winked at, so to speak.

But, good call nonetheless.
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline CaptJosh

I know, I know. I own a copy of Wing Commander Prophecy and it's the Spiculum IR there too. I newer really looked at the specs for it. I did always think it was a bit odd that it had a lock-up time like it did. I should have paid more attention to weapon specs. It's just that it didn't seem to matter that much when I didn't get to choose my loadout.
CaptJosh

If Origin actually designated IR meaning Image Recognition in its Wing cammender games, then shame on them for it.

... You know WC is a SPACE game set in the FUTURE dont you?   Why cant they say "IR" is Image Recognition? If Wing Commander was a flight sim set in the modern day American air force maybe you'd have something to gripe about. Its not like WC is especially realistic anyway. Theres no sound in space and lazers cant work like that.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 03:01:47 pm by Edward Bradshaw »

Offline CaptJosh

It's unlikely that terminology so widely used would change that radically. What it comes down to is that the creators of Wing Commander didn't know military hardware.
CaptJosh

It's unlikely that terminology so widely used would change that radically. What it comes down to is that the creators of Wing Commander didn't know military hardware.

Yes, but in practice, why doesnt it make any difference or matter? IR. Its just an I and an R. Its supposed to be hundreds of years in the future. Why couldnt the space navy decided that IR means something else? You are acting like its some "shamefull" inconsistency. Apparently they got some of the military ranks wrong too. Big deal. If we can suspend disbelief for sounds in space, lazers, space ships that act like they are in an atmosphere, feline aliens and "jump holes" I think I can suspend disbelief just enough to think that IR now means something else hundreds of years later in our future.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 06:15:04 pm by Edward Bradshaw »

It's notable too that the missiles have fins. Fins look cool but probably don't do anything without a fluidic environment.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 01:31:59 am by Huggybaby »

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
An example of terminology changing?  Aircraft:  In the American Armed Forces P used to stand for Persuit planes, but was later replaced by the F designation.  P now stands for Photograph.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport