Author Topic: HUD not working correctly  (Read 4601 times)

Offline KeldorKatarn

HUD not working correctly
Hi,

I downloaded the Prologue two days ago and played a few missions. So far my compliments to voice acting and overall design.
Haven't played enough to really say anything about balancing or mission design.

However I have encountered some annoying bug.

I am in Germany although that probably doesn't change anything, just as info.. I play the game with standard settings, so changed nothing
after installation, Direct3d doesn't work anyway, distorts the videos and the fonts.

During the missions my HUD doesn't work correctly. Speed setting marker, target tracking, fuel.. all that works.. But the markers next to the weapons, both primary and secondary, do not work so I do not see which weapon I have selected. Also the radar doesn't show anything.
I can select weapons and change the radar range, so the functionality is there, but the HUD won't display it.
Also next to some HUD messages and e.g. next to the "AUTO TARGETING" and "AUTO MATCH" patches in the lower right corner I see "(GR)" which causes the text not to fit within the patch anymore.

Any ideas what might cause this and how to fix it? Or is it a serious bug that needs to be reported in the bug tracking system?

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: HUD not working correctly
This sounds like you have German Freespace 2 installed. You will need to set language to English in its launcher or uninstall it completely.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Someone else on Wingcenter reported that he can't see something on the radar, could be the same problem ...
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline KeldorKatarn

Seems I found a solution.
I made sure again, Freespace 2 was completely deinstalled, then switched my Windows country settings to English(USA), rebooted and installed WC Saga.
Then switched back to German(Germany) and rebooted again.

Now it works. It seems all the problems I described (text errors. missing markers next to weapons and unfunctional radar) were all linked to this, since all that works now.

Maybe you guys should find out how this was caused any try to fix it so that the installation and execution of WCSaga isn't affected any longer
by a present FS2 and/or country settings.

Anyway, congrats again on this. Best MOD I've ever played so far.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I made sure again, Freespace 2 was completely deinstalled, then switched my Windows country settings to English(USA), rebooted and installed WC Saga.

Now it works. It seems all the problems I described (text errors. missing markers next to weapons and unfunctional radar) were all linked to this, since all that works now.

I see. There must be a registry string. I could add it to the installer. And, anyway, 3.7 will no longer write into registry, but use INI files.

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey

Maybe you guys should find out how this was caused any try to fix it so that the installation and execution of WCSaga isn't affected any longer
by a present FS2 and/or country settings.

Anyway, congrats again on this. Best MOD I've ever played so far.

hi,
i have copied my FS2 installation, run the deinstaller of FS2, copie my installation back and rund WCS.

work perfectly.
the errors gone and FS2 SCP i can use without problems.

i think your way isnt really necessarry *g*, only if the problem after the easy are showing up again.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

I have the same prob with the radar but I can´t uninstall FS 2. I get an error-prompt that "uninst.isu is either not valid or corrupted". Deleting by hand would help I think. What to do?

Offline KeldorKatarn

Delete all FS2 files, reinstall it. Then the deinstallation routine should be reinstalled and therefore working. Then you normally deinstall so the registry entries are gone too.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Or you could just use regedit (carefully) and change the registry entry from German to English.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Or you could just use regedit (carefully) and change the registry entry from German to English.

now that would interested me. I couldn't find the language string :(

-WC Saga's beta tester

Please explain how to do that.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I suspect this may cause issues when BtRL comes out too so I'd better bookmark the explanation for later use.

How do I change the language settings for FS2 - The retail launcher won't let me?

The only way short of a reinstall of the game using a copy from a different language is to edit the registry entry directly. Although relatively simple to do this is not something you should deviate from these steps when doing. Editing anything else in the registry can easily lead to a broken copy of Windows which is only fixable with a reinstall.

1) Go to:
Start -> Run.

2) Type in "Regedit", and click Ok

3) Go to the following folder:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Volition -> Freespace2

4) Backup your Registry, just to be sure. Do this by clicking:
Registry -> Export Registry File. (File->Export on XP).
(Export "All" if you want, if you're worried you'll screw up something somewhere else by accident. Otherwise just export the selected branch.)

5) Right mouse click on the Language entry. Choose modify

6) A new window will open with a language in it. Change this to English. (The capital E may be important so don't forget it).

7) Click OK and close regedit.

Thx!!

This works for WCS and Babylon Project!! But in FS SCP and its mods I have several bugs in the HUD when I change the language from german to english (like "Ä"´s instead of dots in the radar.) But no problem, cause I can switch between english and german in the registry if needed.

Edit: Maybe this should be stickied for other users of the german FS2 version...

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I'll add this to the troubleshooting guide and I'll also have the installer inserting/overwriting the registry string in the next release :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
This works for WCS and Babylon Project!! But in FS SCP and its mods I have several bugs in the HUD when I change the language from german to english (like "Ä"´s instead of dots in the radar.)

If you go to my FAQ's download page and grab the HotU crack pack off of my downloads section you should find a copy of root_fs2.vp that fixes that. Make sure you back up your copy just in case it doesn't though.