Author Topic: FRED Designer: No After Burners and Carrier Landings?  (Read 8622 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: FRED Designer: No After Burners and Carrier Landings?
They are named a little strange (varify only in one letter), but those are the few :

F-66B Thunderbolt VII
F/A-76A Longbow P
F-86A Hellcat V
F-96D Arrow

Besides those "standard" player ships, there is one more :

F-96D Arrow NOAB

We have changed the naming sheme right after the release of the prologue. Right now it is "'fighter name' P"
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yes, but not in the version the people currently use for fredding :)  We only changed it in the hermes ships.tbl which isn't public yet
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Shade

Ok, here's a tutorial version then since it's being difficult :) Start with a new mission, then place down a carrier to go along with the player ship that's already pre-placed. Now, open up the events editor and and start a new event, which should give you this:

* Event name
    -op when
        -op true
        -op do-nothing

Change the name of the event to Carrier_Landing, then right click the "true" operator and select <Replace operator> -> <Logical> -> ">" from the menu that pops up. Now we have this:

* Carrier_Landing
    -op when
        -op >
        -op do-nothing

Right click the top zero and select <Edit data>, then put in the distance you want the mission to end at. For now, we'll use 50. Then right click the bottom zero and select <Replace operator> -> <Status> -> "distance-ship-subsystem", giving us this:

* Carrier_Landing
    -op when
        -op >
            -#distance-ship-subsystem
                 #<any traitor>
                 #<random ship>
                 #<random subsystem>
        -op do-nothing

Right click item one ("any traitor"), select <Replace data> and select the player ship from the submenu. Right click item two and do the same, only select the carrier we put in. And finally right click item three and select <fighterbay02>. Now all that remains to be done is replace the "do-nothing" with the "end-mission" operator found under <Change> -> <Missions and campaigns> -> "end-mission", and we get the final result:

* Carrier_Landing
    -op when
        -op >
            -#distance-ship-subsystem
                 #<player ship>
                 #<carrier>
                 #<fighterbay02>
        -op end-mission
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
As I see it, you put the value 50 to the wrong position . In fred the > Value comes after the distance check operator

Code: [Select]

-event-name
  op-when
     op <
         op- distance ship subsystem
               Alpha 2 (player ship)
               fighterbay02
   op- end-mission
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Shade

We both got it right, actually. The difference is I used greater-than, you used less-than. Hence the opposite order achieving the same effect :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I've always found code readability to be increased if you give the expression first and the value second since that's the way most people speak and think.

Most people think "if X is greater than 50" rather than "if 49 is less than X".
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Roy fokker

• Flaming FREDder
We both got it right, actually. The difference is I used greater-than, you used less-than. Hence the opposite order achieving the same effect :)

not really i believe cause the moment your event becomes true the mission will end where ever you are but not when your coming into landing
Roy Fokker
Mission designer for  Inferno and Wing Commander Saga

Offline Shade

Erm, no. In english, it says "When 50 is greater than current distance to landing bay, end mission", which is functionally identical to Starman's "When current distance to landing bay is less than 50, end mission". So it only fires within 50 metres of the landing bay. Try it and see if you don't believe me :)

I simply use greater-than because I'm used to doing that, and if I used less-than I'd probably end up with the exact error you describe because I'd forget to reverse the order compared to what I'm used to.

Offline Creash

Check my FAQ's FRED pages to help you get up to speed with string variables and the argument SEXPs. You'll be amazed at the kind of stuff you can do with them :) [

@Karajorma : That would be handy if you would do that :)    BTW, I need your help again to fix that stupid goal in mission 2, can you spare a few minutes ?

Always happy to. Catch me on ICQ or the HLP IRC channel if you want a speedier response time cause I'm going to be spending most of my time today FREDding for BtRL so I won't be checking for PMs much today.

Can you drop a link to particular FRED FAQ pages you've posted on the forums pertaining to this?  I'd really appreciate it  :)

Or, are you referring to your FAQ website I found in your signature at:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/FAQ/intro.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 07:55:09 pm by Creash »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yep. That's what I'm refering to. The FRED stuff in there should be pretty useful to you at whatever level you're currently at. Some of that stuff is fairly advanced though so if you're still relearning FRED don't be surprised if you don't get it straight away.

Offline Creash

Not a problem.  A little re-schooling in my ol' days of FRED advanced abilities shouldn't take too long nor do I consider it a chore.  Thanks Karajorma.  :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Not a problem. When people read my guide and use the stuff they learned to make better missions I get my reward :)

Here is an example : Note that fighterbay01 is always in the front of the carriers, and fighterbay02 is in the back :

Code: [Select]

-event-name
  op-when
     op <
         op- distance ship subsystem
               Alpha 2 (player ship)
               TCS Hermes   (carrier)
               fighterbay02
   op- end-mission

Important : You need to chain this event to some other event or a goal, otherwise the mission will also end when you fly to that position right on the start of the mission. I usually chain it to the arrival of the last navpoint or the "you are clear to land" message

The other reason why you have to change this to another event, is that if you ar using 'change sheep class' to hide ships at distance, if the event is active (not chained), the moment carrier model changes to ghost the game will generate an error and shut down :)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga

The other reason why you have to change this to another event, is that if you ar using 'change sheep class' to hide ships at distance, if the event is active (not chained), the moment carrier model changes to ghost the game will generate an error and shut down :)

Nope, like I proofed in any mission :)  This event must always be chained to something after the last autopilot flight,  where "change-ship-class" has already been long executed.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Damn i wrote changed i mean CHAINED CHAINED :mad: ::)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Not to mention this :

'change sheep class'

I hope that the "change wolf class" will be also implemented by the SCP   :p

No offend Mancubus, I'm just joking :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
No offend Mancubus, I'm just joking :)

I hope so... for your sake! :D :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 11:34:55 am by Tolwyn »
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I hope that the "change wolf class" will be also implemented by the SCP   :p

I believe the Starfox team already have that one working :D

Staraman, would it be possible if you release the template again ::)? i've had a major disk crash and lost most of my data. Now i have new computer (almost) i've changed windows version and the autopilot bug still occures  :mad:. and your download link kinda stopped working

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH